No announcement yet.

Records that were never hip but you like them anyway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Think We're Alone Now by Tiffany and Electric Youth by Debbie Gibson both seemed to appear at the same time, be despised by everyone with any hint of cool, and yet I really liked them both. And still do.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
      Philip Bailey did the vocal when they performed it with EW&F in 2004-2006. Not bad at all:
      Not surprised, the guy can sing anything and make it sound amazing. One of my favourite voices of all time.

Comment

Bailey's talent aside, Easy Lover remains among my least favourite things in the entire solar system.

I heard something else by Collins from the same era in a shop the other day. Probably some contract-filling obligation for a movie soundtrack. (Why do retail outlets still insist on playing this stuff?)

At least In the Air Tonight had 'something' about it, probably all in its production.

Comment

2 that spring to mind from times when the acts involved were deeply uncool were:

Dollar “Who Were You With In The Moonlight

And

Bucks Fizz “The Land of Make Believe

Comment

Never hip songs, you say?

As a teenage metalhead in the grunge era, I believe I am eminently qualified to sweep the board.

Comment

"Wichita Lineman", "Galveston", "Rhinestone Cowboy". Wonderful. All of them.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                I Think We're Alone Now by Tiffany and Electric Youth by Debbie Gibson both seemed to appear at the same time, be despised by everyone with any hint of cool, and yet I really liked them both. And still do.
                Both good as is the original single of I Think We're Alone Now by Tommy James & The Shondells:

Comment

Originally posted by slackster View Post
                  And

Bucks Fizz “The Land of Make Believe
                  Now Those Days Are Gone was also good.

Comment

Reminiscing - Little River Band

Oh Babe What Would You Say - Hurricane Smith

Comment

Famous Instigator by Gary Glitter. I'd even be unapologetic playing it in a Thai restaurant
                      Last edited by duncanmckenziedoughnuts; 11-06-2018, 16:37.

Comment

Tasteful stuff.

Comment

I feel so much better about life having read that.

Comment

Wyman, Page and even Bowie can escape censure for fucking kids because their music is widely regarded as amazing. Glitter is naff and so his music gets a kicking. A disgraceful human being, but so were many of the greatest artists of history.

Comment

Em, I’d agree with Pricey that some Glitter stuff was fucking amazing, and the Glitter Band (as far as we know) don’t deserve the financial and reputational damage to great music that had more to do with them than that fucker. And yeah Page and Wyman are def scummers, don’t know the specifics on Bowie but I’d guess most of the 70s pantheon would be potential yewtrees if the offenses weren’t so historical/committed in the US rather than UK/ they have very powerful lawyers.

Glitter was not powerful in connections like Saville or rich like Page etc. but none of this stops me being very quesy about ever hearing his tunes again. I don’t know what I’d do if I was dancing and then Glitter came on in a club. Consent is meaningless under the age of consent but Glitter engaged in straight up child prostitution, seems a slightly higher degree than the vile coke and teenage groupie culture (which prob has the potential to take out half of Britpop and spunky young Gritty guitar heroes into the new Millennium).
                              Last edited by Lang Spoon; 12-06-2018, 22:08.

Comment

Agree with much of that - there's no real parallel there.

I'll admit that I sang along to Glitter's tunes when I was a kid (as I did those of Sweet, Slade, T Rex, et al), but looking at the whole act - in separation from his vile deeds, which isn't easy - it was pretty crass and bloated from the off anyway. (There's a performance from a recently YouTube-uploaded edition of TOTP from November 1973 that illustrates this perfectly.)

However, I think it was the rather distasteful remark about playing one of Glitter's songs in a Thai restaurant that resonated - with me, anyway. So, no, f*** all to do with his perceived 'naffness'.

(12,000th post. Would have to be this one...)

Comment

Lots of Stock, Aitken & Waterman, particularly Dead Or Alive and Mel & Kim.

Comment

Working...
                                  X