Records that were never hip but you like them anyway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Records that were never hip but you like them anyway

Probably done this before but I've been away. Here's a few of mine.

Hamilton, Joe Frank and Reynolds - "Don't Pull Your Love".
    Captain and Tenille - "Love Will Keep Us Together".
    Harmony Grass - "Move In A Little Closer".
    Spanky and Our Gang - "Sunday Will Never Be The Same".
    The Osmonds - "The Proud One".
    The Fortunes - "Storm In A Teacup".
    Johnny Mathis and Deniece Williams - "Too Much, Too Little, Too Late".

Others?

Anything and everything by The Carpenters.

Comment

Seconded.

Comment

The Seekers, also still love the Go Gos first album

Comment

The Carpenters were seriously hip throughout the nineties.

Sonic Youth championing them probably helped.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
            The Carpenters were seriously hip throughout the nineties.
            Yeah, but I wasn't so didn't know that.

Comment

Put me down for The Carpenters, apart from the one about aliens.

And The Seekers, except the religious ones.

I heard Charles Aznavour's She yesterday. Back when it was number 1 we were all very disparaging but it sounds good now.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                The Seekers, also still love the Go Gos first album
                Talking of The Go Gos, there's this...

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                  Yeah, but I wasn't so didn't know that.
                  I was just questioning the 'never hip' angle. I mean, I'm sure you were enjoying their music 'at the time' (ie, when they were perceived as ultra-square by the hippy crowd).

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                  Put me down for The Carpenters, apart from the one about aliens.
                  That was a Klaatu song anyway - I can only imagine that Richard and Karen were encouraged to record it in the wake of Star Wars and Close Encounters.
                  Last edited by Jah Womble; 08-06-2018, 09:24.

Comment

In what world are The Go-Go's not hip?

Anyway, I like Hall & Oates, up to and including the massive but entirely lacking in cred H2O album.

On The Wings Of Love by Jeffrey Osborne is quite the tune too.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                      That was a Klaatu song anyway - I can only imagine that Richard and Karen were encouraged to record it in the wake of Star Wars and Close Encounters.
                      Not only that, they went on to cash in with a knock-off TV special.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                        On The Wings Of Love by Jeffrey Osborne is quite the tune too.
                        Yeah, I thought that got an undeserved kicking on the Chart Music podcast.

At the height of my music fascism in the mid-80s (think the Smiths and the Mary Chain), I used to listen to Kenny Rogers in secret. I posit there are few British men who can't sing along to the chorus of The Gambler.

Comment

I don't know The Gambler, but can save face with a strong Coward Of The County.

Comment

Glad to hear the Go-Gos are hip,they didn't seem to be to an 18 year old in 1982, in fact most people in Dublin had never heard of them

Comment

In early 76, when punk was just beginning, I used to listen to Radio 2 at work (as that's all we could get) and liked a lot of what they played. So a lot of Easy Listening and Soft Country, careful how you pronounce that. The Eagles, Four Seasons, Captain and Tenille, etc.

Comment

I don't think that a low recognition factor with the person on the hometown street is any bar to hipness, quite the opposite. Then there's the question of whether one's own support could be a bad sign for an act, cool-wise. Each man renders unfashionable the thing he loves, as Oscar Wilde nearly said.

Comment

Wise words indeed.

Comment

"All Out Of Love" by Air Supply

Comment

Many of the works of the Electric Light Orchestra.

Comment

Kenny Rogers clearly peaked with The First Edition's Just Dropped In and Ruby (Don't Take Your Love to Town). He really didn't need to record anything after those two.

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                                        Not only that, they went on to cash in with a knock-off TV special.
                                        Oh Jesus...
                                        Last edited by Jah Womble; 08-06-2018, 16:53.

Comment

David Cassidy's Could It Be Forever? (I think it's called) came up on Mrs. S' iPod this morning. Nice song and I like his voice.

Poor chap.

Comment

I disliked Phil Collins for a long time but his 80s stuff now seems a loss less offensive than much pop of that era and 'Easy Lover' is a good tune well executed. 'Different Lives', another collaboration, also not bad at all.

I saw Chicago live last year and was actually quite impressed by the power ballads as well as the brass section stuff that made their name in the late 60s. They did not play 'If You Leave Me Now' as they see it as a Peter Cetera thing, not really typical of the group

Philip Bailey did the vocal when they performed it with EW&F in 2004-2006. Not bad at all:

Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 08-06-2018, 20:56.

Comment

Chicago (then Chicago Transit Authority) were actually pretty cool when their first (double) album was released, and even the immediately following releases. They wrote a lot of political stuff in the late 60s and early 70s, some of which was quite unusual. Their mainstream success came a bit later, particularly after Terry Kath's death.

Comment

Separate lives, not different lives Satchmo. But the rubicon was crossed with fucking Air Supply. <Shudder>

Comment

Wichita Lineman by Glen Campbell. Album or single, I don't care. Genius, all of it, and the title track will forever be my favourite song.

Hip be damned.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X