No announcement yet.

Disappointing live acts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw Catatonia at my university in 1998, and they remain comfortably the worst band I've ever paid money to watch - not one of them was even remotely sober.

Comment

Originally posted by andrew7610 View Post
      I saw Catatonia at my university in 1998, and they remain comfortably the worst band I've ever paid money to watch - not one of them was even remotely sober.
      Well with a name like Catatonia what do you expect

Comment

I know this is going to sound mad and the worst kind of conspiracy theory but I think that the lead singer of Catatonia might, possibly, could be Welsh.

I know, I know. Stupid idea, really.

Comment

Originally posted by andrew7610 View Post
          Ha, I could've warned you. An ex of mine used to flat-share with Gruff Rhys (of SFA) around that time, and on more than one occasion Cerys would come a-knocking - well, 'a-hammering' - at 2am or so, drunkenly yelling for Gruff (or his girlfriend) to 'answer the bluddy dooo-er!'

My cousin also worked with her at the time and confirmed that she was pretty obnoxious. She's calmed down a bit now.

Comment

I hate to say this but Elvis Presley. A girlfriend got tickets to see him in Atlanta not long before he died. Heartbreaking.

Comment

Yeah. I saw him at the MGM Grand in the early 70s, it was a bit of a shock.

Comment

i saw Squeeze in concert a few years ago. The music was good but there was absolutely no rapport with the audience and absolutely no banter between the band members. Each song finished with a "Thank you. This next song is Cool For Cats" etc. I would have been better off staying at home and listening to their greatest hits CD.

Comment

Yes, I saw them supporting Elvis Costello back in their heyday. They didn't leave a strong impression, which is perhaps why they never made mush of a mark in North America.

Welcome BTW.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                    Yeah. I saw him at the MGM Grand in the early 70s, it was a bit of a shock.
                    My mother managed to see him at Maple Leaf Gardens in 1957. It was apparently rather good...

Comment

Whoa! Serious respect to your Mum.

Comment

Roy Ayers, who was headlining a smallish jazz ‘festival’ at Bedgebury Pinetum in Kent. I’d seen footage of him several years previously at Ronnie Scott’s, when he and his band (featuring Zachary Breaux and the wonderful Dwight Gassaway) were on fire, and I was hoping for something similar. Boy was I wrong. I’ve never seen such a phoned-in performance. Unfortunately Roy was still in his tiresome ‘Poo Poo La La’ phase and barely stretched out on the vibes for the entire 40 minutes he was on stage, as he and his band of workmanlike musos played a succession of sub-standard songs that consisted largely of innuendo-heavy chants interspersed with lame call & response audience interaction. At one point he stopped and for what seemed like an eternity read ‘humorous’ extracts from a girlfriend’s letter. Of course he played ‘Everybody Loves The Sunshine’ (as he’s probably contractually obliged to do) but it merely served to remind of what might have been.

Comment

Indeed WOM. Serious props to your Mom.

Comment

Working...
                          X