Griffin's Penultimate Stand - Division 2 2018-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
    Yes, they've recovered from 'Arry surprisingly quickly. It took most of us several seasons.
    Only having Redknapp there for one transfer window is probably a large part of the reason for that.

Comment

Very true. Ipswich for him next... ?

Comment

Don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Orange View Post
          And Hurst is sacked. That went well for everyone.
          It really did not. Askey is the last man with a seat on that particular go of the merry-go-round

Comment

Paul Lambert in at Ipswich. I feel reasonably positive about that, but that might just be because I'm delighted it's not Redknapp or Pardew.

Comment

Well, cheers for that Bolton, keeping Mr Positive in a job for another week. For fucking fucks sakes.

Comment

QPR fan shows his adoration for John Terry after last Friday's match.

Comment

Hahaha

Comment

One of the iron laws of football is that we always beat Norwich at home. Well they've whacked us 4-0 (and missed a penalty) at Hillsborough today and that's four defeats on the bounce now with a trip to the Lane to come on Friday night. Still haven't kept a clean sheet this season and it was yet more defensive errors letting us down today.

Luhukay did inherit a tough situation but he's frozen out key players that we could use (Keiren Westwood, Sam Hutchinson) for no obvious reason, he clearly has no idea what his best team is, the defence is an absolute shambles. His dour persona doesn't bring the fans with him at times like this, he gives the impression he doesn't get Wednesday. It's just a job to him, a line on his CV. I don't think many people would be massively upset if he gets swept away in the next week or so.

Carvalhal has been knocking around the press a fair bit lately, he was in the Grauniad again the other day. I do hope he's not angling for his old job back, that's really not what we need right now. The problem goes above the manager though, it boils down to mismanagement in the boardroom. Not all Thai owners are good.
                    Last edited by longeared; 03-11-2018, 17:27.

Comment

Genuine optimism abound that we might finally, FINALLY, be about to get shot of the toxic ownership that has done almost irreparable damage to our club. Richard Sutcliffe from the Yorkshire Post has stated today that dialogue between the Allams and the interested party is advanced, and both sides are keen to see the deal through as quickly as possible. We've been here before, but with nothing left owed back to themselves, they've nothing left to stay for and they've just been reported to the EFL for excluding an official fans group from a meeting.

Again, on the pitch, another side has helped make Adkins look semi competent. Maybe the potential new owners might have their own man in mind, and the majority of fans wouldn't be sad to see someone else take over.

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
                        One of the iron laws of football is that we always beat Norwich at home. Well they've whacked us 4-0 (and missed a penalty) at Hillsborough today and that's four defeats on the bounce now with a trip to the Lane to come on Friday night. Still haven't kept a clean sheet this season and it was yet more defensive errors letting us down today.

Luhukay did inherit a tough situation but he's frozen out key players that we could use (Keiren Westwood, Sam Hutchinson) for no obvious reason, he clearly has no idea what his best team is, the defence is an absolute shambles. His dour persona doesn't bring the fans with him at times like this, he gives the impression he doesn't get Wednesday. It's just a job to him, a line on his CV. I don't think many people would be massively upset if he gets swept away in the next week or so.

Carvalhal has been knocking around the press a fair bit lately, he was in the Grauniad again the other day. I do hope he's not angling for his old job back, that's really not what we need right now. The problem goes above the manager though, it boils down to mismanagement in the boardroom. Not all Thai owners are good.
                        We weren't doing too badly a few weeks ago, but we've fallen apart in the last four games. Jos Luhukay seems to have completely forgotten how to organise a defence this season, and it doesn't bode well for the Sheffield derby this Friday.

I couldn't agree more about our problems running deeper than the management. I think I assessed our Chairman on here a couple of years back by saying he meant well but was sometimes misguided. It's become clear this year that he's a thin-skinned egotist who likes his name being plastered all over the stadium but can't handle any criticism. He's also badly mismanaged our finances and gambled everything on Carvalhal getting us promotion in 2015/16 or 2016/17, so now we've got nothing to spend on players and fans are still paying extortionate ticket prices.

Comment

I'm at the point where a 2-0 defeat tonight will feel like a good result. Hopefully my jetlag will allow me to sleep through it all.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                            I'm at the point where a 2-0 defeat tonight will feel like a good result. Hopefully my jetlag will allow me to sleep through it all.
                            My plan isn't much different, except replace 'my jetlag' with 'loads of beer'.

Comment

Perversely I'm quite looking forward to it, but that's because it's usually a good atmosphere in the pub for this fixture (as opposed to the Boro game the other week where there were three people watching it) and, erm, well, that's about it really.

Somewhat amusingly the game hasn't completely sold out. And no team has failed to score against us this season. No pressure, United!

Comment

These two kits look silly from the back. As someone said to the Graun minute by minute thingy, it looks like Bolton v Ipswich.

https://twitter.com/SkyFootball/status/1060987082146021376?s=19

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
                                  And no team has failed to score against us this season. No pressure, United!

Comment

Crumbs, what a turnaround that was. And with Leeds and the Blades both failing to win, we're properly top.

And, in the league that can't stop serving up belters, Swansea did this:

https://twitter.com/SkyBetChamp/status/1061952577758224386

Comment

Can't help but wonder if Swansea wanted us to win that one - the first two goals were farcical. An own goal to get things underway and then the kind of error for the second that you used to see your Mega Drive do when you were playing FIFA 95 on Amateur mode.

Goal kick to Swansea. Norwich's front three were pushed up against the defenders. The goalie looks at this situation, but then plays the short ball anyway. Yoink, and goal.

Still, mustn't grumble. Enjoy it while it lasts, and all that.

Comment

Ipswich meanwhile were fairly decent against West Brom despite losing 2-1. They nearly got something out of that. What's made a huge difference is that Lambert has done in a couple of weeks something that eluded Hurst for several months - he's' settled on a team. Weirdly there's been a lot of negative comments online about the right back Jordan Spence, who I think has been pretty decent. That said, I'd assumed he was only about 21 when he is in fact 28. But he works a lot harder than Jonas Knudsen at left back, who was nowhere to be seen for the second WBA goal. Some green shoots though - Bishop is coming back from his achilles injury, and young Lankester looked promising late on too, hitting the post from a free kick.

Comment

Strong rumours circulating that the proposed takeover is dead in the water, with due diligence apparently valuing the club at circa £17million, and that doesn't seem to be enough for that pair of bastards, despite the fact there's nothing left owed back to them. Without new owners in for the transfer window, I'd say we're pretty much nailed on for relegation, despite recent results being mildly encouraging, Saturday aside. Grim times.

Comment

Wonder how much they think the club will be worth in League One?

Good performance last night by all accounts though - we'd been scoring four a game until that shut-out at the KC.

Comment

Must admit that I was expecting the new resilient Norwich to get a late winner last night.

Most of our lot were moaning when we nicked a draw against you at our place, the myopic football fan eh?

Comment

I have been in the habit this season of attributing Brentford defeats to either bad luck, appalling refereeing or opposition thuggery. That was not the case on Tuesday against Sheffield United. 2-3 flattered us.

Thomas Frank has now lost 5 out of 6 games, though it should be said that the drop-off in performances started under Dean Smith and that in 4 of those 5 defeats, it could be argued that we deserved a point.

At the moment, the team is much less than the sum of its parts. The body language on Tuesday night was not good.

Oh well, it’s only West Brom away next. We could be challenging the QPR scoreline there.

Comment

Heh!

Actually that game, and the 0–3 home loss to Bristol City that followed it, were probably the best thing that could have happened to us. Schteve realised we just couldn't play a close passing game, so reverted to faster transitions built around a solid, if immobile, back four and a smart DM who reads the play well.

Comment

That smart DM who reads the play well. Any chance of a loan?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X