Griffin's Penultimate Stand - Division 2 2018-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Griffin's Penultimate Stand - Division 2 2018-19

Assuming another battle against relegation. Could really do with a boring mid-table season...

Good luck to Rotherham and everyone else in this division. I'll miss posting on this thread, but I won't miss the ticket prices and constant defeats.

Comment

I’m assuming the thread title is referring to our imminent stadium move. It’s not quite as imminent as you imply as Lionel Road is due to be completed in the middle of the 2019-20 season. Nonetheless, non-Brentford fans would be wise to make their first, or possibly last, visit to Griffin Park next season.

Comment

Have they actually started on the ground yet?

Comment

Villa, eh? Bloody hell.

Although what it has done is prompted the few remaining Allam supporters to bleat that 'at least we're not in administration!'. For fucking fucks sake.

Comment

Originally posted by cantagalo View Post
            I’m assuming the thread title is referring to our imminent stadium move. It’s not quite as imminent as you imply as Lionel Road is due to be completed in the middle of the 2019-20 season.
            Around the same time as New Plough Lane is due to open, though that could always go back. Opening a ground mid-season seems strangely unsatisfying, I wonder which new ground will actually stage a match first.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
              Have they actually started on the ground yet?
              Yes. The site has been cleared and they’ve started to dig the foundations.

Comment

Originally posted by Бога Нет View Post
                Around the same time as New Plough Lane is due to open, though that could always go back. Opening a ground mid-season seems strangely unsatisfying, I wonder which new ground will actually stage a match first.
                Yes, a bit unsatisfying and plenty of logistical difficulties such as selling season tickets for two different grounds.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see the opening put back to the start of the 2020-21 season.

Comment

I just read a tweet which said that the only teams in England to have finished in the top half of their league in each of the last 10 seasons are the big six in the Premier League - and Brentford.

I’ve been walking around all day with a big smile on my face because of this.

Comment

Wow Villa. Even by the standards of governance of Birmingham football clubs, this is pretty special. They're losing 5-6 million quid a month. They've avoided administration this month, but what about next month? I was listening to a journalist on the radio and he was saying that Villa have already given clubs big discounts on transfer fees owed to get them this far. That's never a good sign, and with a drop of £18 million in the parachute payment, and the introduction of capital controls in China, this could go very wrong, very quickly

Comment

I think it already has.

Comment

Still JT with his £3.6m banked from last year's unsuccessful campaign will no doubt offer words of sympathy and advice.

Comment

The impressive thing about Villa's woes is that JT only accounts for 5% of their monthly losses.

Does anyone have any idea why it's necessary for Birmingham clubs to be the worst run in the country? And what is it about second cities? The League of Ireland club in Cork goes bankrupt every 20 years regardless of who is in charge.

Comment

This Mirror article is worth reading - though I think Keith Wyness may well have had a word with the journo.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...villa-12655774

If Villa don’t get £30m (with most of it upfront) for Jack Grealish pretty sharpish we could be in admin and points deduction territory. And Steve Bruce will probably walk - he’s got form for that.

Comment

I hear that Villa have reached an agreement with HMRC over the £4.2m tax bill. A payment of £500,000 has been made with more to follow next week.

Good news? Well, maybe not. Dr Tony has agreed a deal with the Premier League for it to be paid out of next season’s £15m parachute payments. And there’s another £8m wage bill due later this month.

Comment

On my phone so can't link to it, but there's a detailed explanation on the Express & Star website as to how Villa have arrived in this position. Short : they bet the shop on going up, it didn't happen, now they are in even more trouble than anyone thought, now there is massive pressure on Xia to prove he is in the club for more than the Premier league money.

Comment

This one, I presume, though I would say the Mirror piece is a bit more detailed.

Comment

So we start the season by standing at Griffin Park. And end it hosting Middlesbrough's promotion party...

Comment

Sheffield derby on my birthday. I hate derby day.

Comment

Frank Lampard's Derby County are away at Reading on the Friday night to kick off the season.

Comment

Is Derby's name change official?

Comment

We believe so, though the official site does not appear to have caught up yet.

Comment

Or of course "Lampard's Derby" for short.

Comment

And it's Lampard's Derby
                                                Lampard's Derby FC
                                                We're by far ...

Comment

We were delighted that Lampard's discussions about the Ipswich job came to nothing because we've been there before.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X