No announcement yet.

SalopChat and other clubs - Division 3 2018-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you go Nick? What were your impressions?

I'm not going to see them till mid-September when hopefully they will have got themselves together.

Comment

3 wins in 3 visits to the Ricoh for Scunny - came from behind with debut goals for Humphrys and Andy Dales, who is a summer signing from Mickleover Sports and who I expected to be quietly loaned back down a couple of levels rather than starting. Must have "impressed in pre-season" I guess.

That meticulous preseason preparation was completed by... signing two players the day before the game. Matthew "Matty" Lund, ex Rochdale joins from Burton, and Welsh international* George Thomas signs on loan from Leicester.

* 45 minutes in a friendly v Mexico

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
        Did you go Nick? What were your impressions?

I'm not going to see them till mid-September when hopefully they will have got themselves together.
        Yes, I went.

We looked like a team that had it's guts ripped out about a week before the season started and signed up players who haven't had a pre-season in the same period.

But we still managed to hit the bar twice, and had one cleared off the line.

There's room for improvement and in Colkett we have a real gem, if we can get him on the ball enough.

Seriously though, if you're expecting the more of the same from last season, then stay away.
        Last edited by NickSTFU; 04-08-2018, 20:36.

Comment

I'm not expecting any continuity. (And I didn't know staying away was an option!)

Comment

Barnsley seem to have benefited from the drop: 4-0 at home to Oxford. Thiam has already doubled his goal tally from last season. My sister was there and loved it.

Comment

First day equals first defeat. It's an annual tradition.

Comment

Seems rather promising for Wimbledon so far, based on my traditional cursory glance at their results - perhaps they might even finish in the top half of the table!

Comment

Might as well note that Barnsley are top as it won't last, but a good start nonetheless and a pleasant surprise.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                    Seems rather promising for Wimbledon so far, based on my traditional cursory glance at their results - perhaps they might even finish in the top half of the table!
                    Too early to judge obviously, they certainly seem solid defensively so far having not conceded in the two games but one continuing problem from last year is scoring goals, only a solitary scrappy one in last week’s win at Fleetwood.

They are a striker light having cancelled Cody McDonald’s contract last week and not picked up the planned replacement before the transfer deadline (though I believe incoming loans are still allowed until August 31st at least) leaving them with only three options up front.

It was going to be hard enough already to compensate for the absence of Lyle Taylor’s goals even before dropping below the four forwards in the squad that are the minimum requirement at this level.

Comment

That'll do. Let's end this season now please.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                        Too early to judge obviously, they certainly seem solid defensively so far having not conceded in the two games but one continuing problem from last year is scoring goals, only a solitary scrappy one in last week’s win at Fleetwood.
                        They were unlucky not to score on Saturday, though - hitting the post and forcing a couple of decent saves from O'Brien.

The Sky Blues look like a team trying to get used to a new division while bedding in a bunch of new players and learning a new system. Which is exactly what they are. Way too early to have any clue as to how well we'll do.

Comment

Woo, and indeed , hoo - James Bremt has stepped down and in the process the club has gained some of the Higher Home Park land back. Now we might actually see some progress on the grandstand as well. With a bit of luck it might be a rebuild rather than a refurb.

Comment

Shrewsbury led twice today but lost 3-2. They've got two points from five games and things aren't looking great. My dad is predicting a "long grim season".

Comment

I would imagine that any social media connected to Salop is in meltdown.

I really feel sorry for Askey, because for some, he's just not Paul Hurst.

He's like the rebound relationship I'm sure we've all had.

Comment

I don't think he's helped himself with some of his decisions either. There was incredulity when he gave the Shop the captaincy. I wonder if that's a reason Payne left.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                  I don't think he's helped himself with some of his decisions either. There was incredulity when he gave the Shop the captaincy. I wonder if that's a reason Payne left.
                                  You see, this is the sort of nonsense that gets found on social media.

JLL is club captain, Waterfall/Sadler are team captains. One is more 'political' and about representing the club in the community, the other is about shaking hands and choosing ends.

Payne leaving had nothing to do with JLL being made club captain and if that's the sort of stick people are beating Askey with, then they need to fuck right off.

Comment

Well that was my own suspicion.

I think it's an odd choice because he has been a peripheral player. Nobody's heart raced with excitement when Hurst brought him on with nine minutes to go. Then suddenly he's club captain.

There was a lot of good will towards Askey when he was first appointed but it has fizzled away. When fans sing 'You don't know what you're doing' then clearly they've lost faith in you.

Comment

Hurst acknowledged JLL's role within the squad and around the Club last season. He is immensely popular, a real 'clubman' hence being made Club captain. He may even be the PFA rep.

The chants at the Blackpool game only go to show how most people don't pay attention at football. Whalley was clearly blowing out of his arse and was rightly subbed.

It seems a freak season of near success and a sizable minority of our support disappears up its self-entitled arse. It probably will be a long grim season, but not watching the team, but listening to the utter fucking shite that come out of peoples mouths.

Comment

Shrewsbury's second goal today was one for the comedy cock up compilations, if anyone still does those.

Comment

Despite not really knowing what's going on at the club these days, I'm still pleased to discover that Oxford somehow won a match today. We even managed to bring our average goals conceded per match below 3!

Comment

For what it’s worth I thought Shrewsbury looked a good side today, and at times played it around in a manner that didn’t suggest a team thrown together by new management from those left at the club and short of confidence from a rough start to the season. I’ll be shocked if there are not 10 clubs in league one worse than them. Up front is where it was lacking, I think John Still described Angol best when he was on our books by saying “he’s the most balanced player at the club because he’s got a chip on both shoulders”

More than happy with Luton’s return of 7 points from a tough first 5 fixtures of Portsmouth, Sunderland, Peterborough, Southend, Shrewsbury. We’ve not surrendered the style that served us well last year and aside from one half at Peterborough when we tried to change formation we’ve looked strong in every game.

Comment

Originally posted by Voidoid View Post
                                              I’ll be shocked if there are not 10 clubs in league one worse than them. Up front is where it was lacking, I think John Still described Angol best when he was on our books by saying “he’s the most balanced player at the club because he’s got a chip on both shoulders”
                                              I predicted 15th.

Agree about lacking something up front, but the main forward is injured and we do seem light in that department. Hopefully Askey will bring someone in on loan.

Comment

What happened with Plymouth yesterday: 1-5 sounds like a disaster?

Comment

It was.

Our new look defence were abysmal and 56 minutes in three of them had been substituted. We were 4-0 down by then.

Comment

Hello goallessness my old friend.

After thwacking in six goals in our opening two league games, it's back to the familiarity of three blanks in a row for Rovers. I've not attended any of them thankfully, but there is at least a lot more optimism among supporters on social media and forums. Consensus is we're still attacking purposefully and creating a lot of chances, and when it clicks we'll really kick on. Fingers crossed it clicks before April.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X