No announcement yet.

SalopChat and other clubs - Division 3 2018-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wally Downes confirmed as Wimbledon’s new manager.

Not sure about this one at all, both on a football level (due to his lack of actual managerial experience detailed upthread) and because the appointment was delayed due to concerns from some on the board about distinctly dubious gammon flavour tweets Downes has come out with in the past.

It seems a popular move with much of the support though but I’m concerned that is due to their desire for the club to be some kind of Sealed Knot re-enactment society for the “Crazy Gang” days. Glyn Hodges role as assistant manager also points to that but he does have a lot of coaching experience at least.

Hope I'm wrong with my concerns, obviously.
    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 04-12-2018, 11:22.

Comment

"I'm Downes, I'm really Downes
      How can you laugh when you know I'm Downes?"

Comment

It’s a long time ago but I can just about remember Wally Downes at Brentford.

He had the misfortune to take over after Steve Coppell. Ron Noades had pulled the plug financially after fans had thwarted his attempt to sell Griffin Park and groundshare with Woking. The football was pretty dire but he had a squad of very limited talent and it took the arrival of Martin Allen to save us from relegation in 2004 and, on the same meagre resources, reach the play-offs in the next two seasons.

As far as I can tell he’s been earning a living coaching at places like Southampton and West Ham and I seem to recollect a touchline confrontation with Neil Warnock at Reading, which is to his credit.
        Last edited by cantagalo; 04-12-2018, 13:34.

Comment

I confuse him with Wally Barnes, BBC pundit in 1966. Can anyone recall if Barnes took a pro-England role in that commentary despite being Welsh?

Comment

Not sure who has enough time to do this sort of thing but it's kind of inspired.

Take a look at Has Ricketts left shrewsbury yet? (@Samuelthesnake): https://twitter.com/Samuelthesnake?s=09

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
              Not sure who has enough time to do this sort of thing but it's kind of inspired.

Take a look at Has Ricketts left shrewsbury yet? (@Samuelthesnake): https://twitter.com/Samuelthesnake?s=09
              Some Wrexham fans really aren't taking this very well...

Comment

I don't really blame them.

Comment

Yeah, but I worry about their blood pressure.

Comment

Why were Scunthorpe wearing all-red on Saturday?

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                      Why were Scunthorpe wearing all-red on Saturday?
                      For charity

Comment

The way they are playing is not doing much for fans' mental health, so nice of them to give something back.

A bit closer to January might have been more appropriate, but I'm guessing a few other, higher-profile clubs are going to take a turn yet.

Comment

McCall is certainly being backed in the transfer market - 3 new signings in the window so far to plug the gaps of the injured and incompetent.

Striker Kevin van Veen rejoins from Northampton, having been sold after falling out with Alexander this time last year. Welcomed back for sure.

Defender Tony McMahon on loan from Oxford - ex-Bradford so a McCall favourite and mate of McArdle, should fit in, was decent a few years ago, talking of which...

Winger/troublecauser Adam Hamill joins from St Mirren. Scored a couple of beauties recently, but his career doesn't scream stability and consistency, hence he ended up at St Mirren. Huddersfield supporting colleagues do not speak well of him.

Comment

... but he is loved by the vast majority of Barnsley fans.

He clearly wasn't good enough for the Championship when we were there for the last couple of seasons, but he tore the third tier to pieces during our 2015-16 promotion season.
                            Check out his Wembley goals for us. He was playing like that virtually every week.

Comment

And the Iron's January recruitment drive continues.
                              Byron Webster, ex York, Donny, Hereford and a few other crap teams joins from Millwall, where he was presumably quite good at one point.

And another defender in Harrison McGahey from Rochdale. Grandson of Scottish miners leader Mick. Not really, but a combative Scottish communist is what springs to mind with that surname.

Comment

Well, Wimbledon are down. Tonight’s 0-3 defeat to Fleetwood (their first away win since October) leaving them 8 points from safety and now having played a match more than nearly everyone around them.

After a good initial run of form under Wally Downes they are now as bad as I have ever seen them and inspire no hope of an upturn in form. It’s almost good that they can start planning for D4 now as the squad will need a massive overhaul ready for next season, so anemic and insipid is the collection of players amassed under Ardley.

Comment

Four straight wins and we're up to 17th. It's like last season all over again, Christmas comes and we start winning. This time though our defence looks shaky as fuck so I'm in no way expecting a similar play off charge. I still think we'll do well to stay safe.

Comment

That puts Shrewsbury squarely in the dogfight as well then.

Comment

Scunny have won 4 out of 5, and drawn the other, but are still looking over their shoulders in 16th, because the other teams like Plymouth have also started playing.
                                      Bradford's thrashing at home to Southend doesn't bode well, and it does look like Wimbles are circling the drain, but otherwise it's pretty much anyone in the bottom half. I'd go for Gillingham and Oxford.

Comment

Wimbles? I'm having nun of that.

Comment

What's the opposite of the hope that kills? The fear that fades? A sort of football philosophical question: is it better to be crap and miserable for months and then climb the table, which is now Argyle's familiar shtick? Or to feel the frustration of missing out on the play-offs after you believed all season long?

Anyway, the buggers are now officially renamed DARPA (Derek Adams' Resurgent Plymouth Argyle - copyright BBC).

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                                            I'd go for Gillingham and Oxford.
                                            Our trouble is inconsistency. On our day and with the wind behind us we're a match for anyone - we've already done the double over Portsmouth - but it's always followed by an after-the-Lord-Mayor's-show performance, usually at home and always against teams around or below us. Steve Lovell is doing the best he can with the players he's got, who to their credit are triers, but crowds are dwindling and there's no prospect of any investment. Our one big asset is Tom Eaves, who is the very definition of talismanic. If he goes we're buggered.

Comment

Salop are 23rd now and it's looking bleak. Fans are referencing 2003 when they beat Everton and got to the 4th round of the cup and completely fucked up the league games.

Apparently yesterday was so bad my brother left on 82 minutes. He's a dedicated 'stay to the bitter end' guy and so for him to walk out feels really worrisome. I'm going to see them down Brizzle Roverrrrs next week so will be able to judge for myself how bad things are.

Comment

The month of February looked tricky for Argyle but our first victory of the season against a top six team has eased some worry. Up next a wobbly Portsmouth at Home Park in a game that suddenly seems winnable.

We've managed to keep our main goal threats. Sunderland were rumoured to be interested in Ladapo while Lameiras' agent was supposedly touting him around. Unlike every other window Carey seemed settled. Given the Argyle way I'd expect them all gone in June.

Comment

I'm off to the Rovers Saturday. My mate and I go every season we play each other because his son lives there and my mate lives in W-S-M. It's the only reason we're going down, otherwise I'd save my money.

My view on the current situation is that we shouldn't have got rid of Askey, who was just starting to get some results. I said this at the time he was sacked. The board, such as it is, panicked and here we are.

Totally avoidable.

Comment

I might see you there, Nick. I'm in row H in the tent.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X