BDS ISRAEL EDITION

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

It comes as absolutely no surprise that the completely odious Miri Regev (former IDF spokesperson, now Minister of Culture of Sport, aka "Trump in High Heels") has her fingers all over this, having spent more than half a million euros of public money to move the match from Haifa, insisting that Messi was going to kiss the Western Wall, and now blaming the cancellation on "terrorism".

Comment

Radio Ulster are on the case

Comment

Is May in double denim there?

Comment

If I may ...

The Argentine FA set up the friendly, not the players (obviously). They actually did so in spite of being expressly asked not to by Jorge Sampaoli, but while I'd love to report that this was because Sampaoli is an enthusiastic BDS supporter (mostly because I think he's a bellend but quite a good coach, so his displaying some redeeming personal features would be nice), it seemed to be more because he didn't want to fly about quite so much right before the tournament (Argentina are currently in Barcelona, a situation that had already been planned some time ago, and Sampaoli's preference was to play Catalonia or another national team in Barcelona).

The AFA is run incompetently and by some horrible people. They also desperately need cash and aren't too fussed where they get it from (they've all got where they are by being politically or economically successful in Argentina, so this shouldn't be a surprise). This has been the case for a long time, even though the names have changed recently at the top of the organisation. As with any other FA, these facts shouldn't reflect on the players.

And my reading of the TV interviews I've seen in the last couple of days with Gonzalo Higuaín and Nicolás Otamendi is that they at least (and therefore I assume at least some others in the squad) were aware, as much as you might expect anyone who isn't necessarily all that politically aware to be, that this match was contentious, as well as being of a mind with Sampaoli that it would have been a pain in the arse logistically even without that contentiousness. From those interviews and from the reports we've had on TV and in the press from journalists who are with the team, I get the impression that they were quite relieved to have an excuse to pressure the AFA to pull out.

The AFA haven't ruled out future friendlies with Israel.

The reported quotes from Messi (such as the one on page 1 of this thread) are, I'm reasonably sure, made up by people looking for retweets and likes.

I did enjoy AFA president Claudio Tapia's press conference though, in which he insisted 'those who want to paint us as ignorant are wrong,' before coming out with a few basic facts about the conflict that really really really made it sound like he'd just looked it up on Wikipedia beforehand, and then saying he hopes this decision can be a step towards world peace. Between him and Trump, we've got our first two shortlisted names for next year's Nobel Peace Prize, then.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
              I doubt that's from Messi; I'd be tempted to add a 'not all Israelis' to a comment like 'play against people who kill...'
              "Most of them" support the policies of the government and PM they have elected four times. I would guess that among the minority of Israelis who do oppose the latest round of indiscriminate mass slaughter, they do so mostly because it's bad PR for Israel.

Comment

At the last Israeli legislative election, Likud won 23.4% of the vote from a turnout of 72%, so it's a bit of a stretch to say that 'most of them' voted for him. The parties who finished second, third and fourth (with a total of 38.1% of the vote) in that election are all explicitly anti-Netanyahu (at least two of them, according to their Wikipedia pages, were set up to try and prevent him from winning re-election).

Comment

A majority nonetheless voted for parties that are part of that genocidal government, and those that preceded it.

Comment

A majority who voted. But still a minority of the total electorate.

Comment

And, the point I was trying to make originally, is that one cannot possibly infer how the Israeli men's football team voted, and even less claim that they are killers.

Like Hemed and Kayal for example?
                      http://jewishnews.timesofisrael.com/...-and-football/
                      Last edited by Kevin S; 11-06-2018, 10:40.

Comment

That's one of the biggest flags of the quote being fake - Messi would not attack the players.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                          A majority who voted. But still a minority of the total electorate.
                          By not voting, that part of the electorate which didn't go to the polls has given consent to whoever is elected. Let's not confuse indifference with opposition; never mind innocence in the actions of the government.

Comment

Working...
                          X