Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Songs mentioning Nazi camps:

Sex Pistols - Holidays In The Sun and Belsen Was A Gas
    Dead Kennedys - Let's Lynch The Landlord (Dachau)

Comment

And this one:

Comment

Countries that experienced genocide:

Charles Aznavour - Armenia. Armenian genocide.

Dead Kennedys and Kim Wilde both had songs about Cambodia (although the Wilde one seems to be a US pilot who went missing there in the early 70s under Tricky Dicky).

George Harrison - Bangla Desh (the post-genocide famine; doesn't help George's reputation as a lyricist).
        Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 05-06-2018, 19:09.

Comment

Wasn't Cornflake Girl by Tori Amos about female circumcision?

Aye Aye Aye Aye Moosey - a song written for a bet with a taxi driver about said taxi driver 'Moosey'.
          Sex Farm - we've all worked on one, but did we write a song about it? I think not.
          Single Ladies - Hoopla
          Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want - all humans die, except Morrissey, because they are all cunts, except Morrissey and all poor animals live, except Morrissey who is human, and wants to be loved, just like nobody else does because they are dead and in any case nobody is worthy of anything except cows, hot football hooligans and Morrissey, so there. TIROON.

Comment

How about medical conditions and disabilities?

Cardiac Arrest - Madness
            Heart Attack - Thin Lizzy
            Spasticus Autisticus - Ian Dury and The Blockheads

Comment

Water On Glass by Kim Wilde is about tinnitus.

Comment

Originally posted by duncanmckenziedoughnuts View Post
                Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want - all humans die, except Morrissey, because they are all cunts, except Morrissey and all poor animals live, except Morrissey who is human, and wants to be loved, just like nobody else does because they are dead and in any case nobody is worthy of anything except cows, hot football hooligans and Morrissey, so there. TIROON.

Comment

Relationships with inflatable dolls:

In Every Dream Home A Heartache - Roxy Muic
                  Lorraine - Bad Manners

Comment

Originally posted by Nurse Duckett View Post
                    Aerosmith - "Janie's Got a Gun". Girl shoots abusive father.
                    See also De La Soul - Millie Pulled a Pistol on Santa.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                      How about medical conditions and disabilities?

Cardiac Arrest - Madness
                      Heart Attack - Thin Lizzy
                      Spasticus Autisticus - Ian Dury and The Blockheads
                      They Might Be Giants - Apophenia
                      They Might Be Giants - Let Me Tell You About My Operation
                      They Might Be Giants - You're On Fire

Did I tell you that there is this one band I really really like?

Comment

Courtney Barnett has at a minimum a song about house hunting and a song about swimming laps in a pool. (IMO, both great.)

You could admittedly randomly point to almost any song in TMBGs back catalog and find a fit for this thread.

Comment

The Pet Shop Boys’ ‘In The Night’ doesn’t have the run-of-the-mill subject matter of much 80s synth-pop. It’s about subcultures in Occupation Paris. In the words of Neil Tennant
                          “It’s about these people called les Zazous who were like prototype beatniks. They were apolitical and used to grow long hair and listen to American jazz music, which of course was illegal under the Nazis. They were very existentialist and sat round talking about love and the meaning of life." The two clubs mentioned in the lyrics, Select, and Le Colisée were frequented by les Zazous. "The song looks at the moral implications, because the Nazis hated them and the Resistance hated them, because they were fatalistic and didn't participate in the resistance, and the song asks whether that's collaboration”
                          It was also the theme tune to The Clothes Show.
                          PSB have a song about Napoleon II as well.
                          Last edited by Haddock; 06-06-2018, 09:00.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                            There have been many, including:

Hit the Plane Down - Pavement
                            Lucky - Radiohead
                            Light Aircraft on Fire - The Auteurs
                            Five Miles Out - Mike Oldfield
                            Fire and Rain - James Taylor

...among others.

(Meanwhile, Slade's Wheels Ain't Coming Down and 747 (Strangers in the Night) by Saxon were both tales of 'near'- aviation disasters.)
                            10cc, I'm Mandy Fly Me

Comment

Add Through the Barricades to the list of Dreary Steeple Drivel.

I went to a Stan Ridgway gig in north London just after Camouflage charted. He did a song called 'Elvis's Brain' during which a plastic skull was dangled from the ceiling for SR to headbutt

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                Relationships with inflatable dolls:

In Every Dream Home A Heartache - Roxy Muic
                                Lorraine - Bad Manners
                                Also: Be My Girl Sally - The Police

So, 'Lorraine' was an inflatable doll? I did not know that...but then again, I never paid much attention to Buster's lyrics.

I certainly wasn't aware that Water On Glass (Kim W's best moment, IMO) was about tinnitus, either. Or of duncan's Cornflake Girl theory: I assumed that it was just an updated take on Janis Ian's At Seventeen. But obviously nowhere near as good.

Cannot believe that I omitted I'm Mandy, Fly Me.

Comment

Fair play for having a Top 5 hit with it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornflake_Girl

Comment

The hype was all around her at the time, I guess.

Just thinking about Lorraine again (God knows why) - wasn't the lyric 'when I find her, I'm gonna kill her!'

How does one 'kill' an inflatable doll?

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                      Not too many songs about being caught in a plane crash, except Glow Girl by The Who
                                      The Who also had hits with an ode to masterbation (Pictures Of Lily) and enforced transvestitism (I'm A Boy)...

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                        There have been many, including:

Hit the Plane Down - Pavement
                                        Lucky - Radiohead
                                        Light Aircraft on Fire - The Auteurs
                                        Five Miles Out - Mike Oldfield
                                        Fire and Rain - James Taylor

...among others.

(Meanwhile, Slade's Wheels Ain't Coming Down and 747 (Strangers in the Night) by Saxon were both tales of 'near'- aviation disasters.)
                                        The "Flying Machine" that ended up in "pieces on the ground" in "Fire and Rain" was a reference to James Taylor's old band The Flying Machine, not an actual plane crash.

Another Plane Crash song that comes to mind is "Flight 505" by The Rolling Stones
                                        Last edited by wittoner; 06-06-2018, 12:33.

Comment

New York Mining Disaster 1941 - Bee Gees

Masturbation: She Bop - Cyndi Lauper

I recall the NME pointing out the double standard of Radio 1 banning Relax but then playing this ode to female masturbation: https://genius.com/Cyndi-lauper-she-bop-lyrics

Comment

Masturbation's been done loads, no? Divinyls, Turning Japanese, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Haddock View Post
                                              The Pet Shop Boys’ ‘In The Night’ doesn’t have the run-of-the-mill subject matter of much 80s synth-pop. It’s about subcultures in Occupation Paris. In the words of Neil Tennant
                                              “It’s about these people called les Zazous who were like prototype beatniks. They were apolitical and used to grow long hair and listen to American jazz music, which of course was illegal under the Nazis. They were very existentialist and sat round talking about love and the meaning of life." The two clubs mentioned in the lyrics, Select, and Le Colisée were frequented by les Zazous. "The song looks at the moral implications, because the Nazis hated them and the Resistance hated them, because they were fatalistic and didn't participate in the resistance, and the song asks whether that's collaboration”
                                              It was also the theme tune to The Clothes Show.
                                              PSB have a song about Napoleon II as well.
                                              There’s a famous old French song about the Zazous sung by Andrex, no, not the Lab puppies-obsessed loo paper brand but the French actor & singer Andrex (a nom de scène) who was reasonably popular in the 1930s-1960s: Y'a des zazous (1943), https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of9aa5j5u_0

(see https://www.antiwarsongs.org/canzone...ng=fr&id=39782).

The very eccentric and experimental Brigitte Fontaine (who has personally known Andrex, I wouldn’t be surprised if she knew the Pet Shop Boys too, she did stuff in England in the 1970s I think) paid tribute to Andrex and his Zazous song in the album Kékéland (130,000 copies sold) via a very offbeat cover of Y’a des zazous:

Comment

Wckr Spgt’s Francis Mitterrand, with that big existentialist interrogation about the state of François Mitterrand’s heater: "There's one thing I just gotta know: Francis Mitterrand, do you have the heater on?"

Comment

Originally posted by wittoner View Post
                                                  The "Flying Machine" that ended up in "pieces on the ground" in "Fire and Rain" was a reference to James Taylor's old band The Flying Machine, not an actual plane crash.
                                                  Fair dos.

Comment

More medical problems from :
                                                    Cancer-Yoshimi battles the pink robots by the Flaming lips
                                                    Short sight-what's with Terry by the Undertones and
                                                    Hangover-Lovestruck by Madness

Comment

Working...
                                                    X