X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hot Pepsi and San BH speak for me on this one

Comment

Originally posted by Flynnie View Post
      We don't need England fans dying of heatstroke.
      Are you sure? I'd have thought that could be one of the upsides.

Comment

Seattle is one of the US venues

Comment

So the three Mexican and Canadian venues look set, but the USA needs to lose 7 of the current 17 between now and the final prep stage for the tournament? Presumably those could be the ones closest to one another, to try and maintain a good spread of locations?

Comment

I hate to think how much it's going to cost to bring the stadia in Montréal and Edmonton up to FIFA standards.

Comment

At the least, you can safely assume that Baltimore and DC are either/or.

Comment

Originally posted by jefe View Post
                At the least, you can safely assume that Baltimore and DC are either/or.
                Baltimore is a much better option there. Everyone hates FedEx Field.

Comment

What can anyone say about any World Cup over the next 8 years.

Comment

It's a lot of investment for hosting 10 games.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                      I hate to think how much it's going to cost to bring the stadia in Montréal and Edmonton up to FIFA standards.
                      For Montreal, not so much, just the cost of putting real grass. There is a whole lot of room inside the big O for any temporary setups like fancy press rooms.

Comment

True, it's cavernous alright. But I thought much of it was being turned into offices, performance spaces and such?

Comment

Most of the extra space (and there is a whole lot of it) gets used for various expos and trade shows year round, there are no permanent setups. There is also a lot of flat concrete space outside of the stadium.

Comment

Maybe Edmonton will get an MLS team by then.

Comment

A 48 team World Cup is appalling but at least it (marginally) improves Scotland's chance of getting there.

Comment

As I've said before, if this is the future FIFA wants, just make it a 64-team single elimination bracket.

Comment

64 teams is definitely better than 48. Just keep at powers of two. Everything else sucks.

Comment

I agree in that I'd rather see Saudi Arabia only get one game instead of three, but the member countries simply won't vote for it. There would also be a lot of bus parking whereas at least Saudi today seemed to want to win the game in the period before Russia scored.

But really, 32 is the limit of any sane competition. After that, you're just swamped with shit games.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                      I agree in that I'd rather see Saudi Arabia only get one game instead of three, but the member countries simply won't vote for it. There would also be a lot of bus parking whereas at least Saudi today seemed to want to win the game in the period before Russia scored.

But really, 32 is the limit of any sane competition. After that, you're just swamped with shit games.
                                      64 is fine as long as it's the top finisher moving on, so 16 1-seeds instead of 16 1-and-2 seeds. That keeps all schedules pretty much as is, with 4-6 games a day instead of 3. (I would say the expanded Euro this year was worth it, as Hungary-Iceland-Wales all had great matches.)

If they're going for a Round of 32 with the 48 teams, then that solves that. For years they had 3 games sans competition. Now if it's 6 games a day, with choosing between 2 games, that would work in a 64-teamer.

Comment

What abbreviation are they going to use for this tournament? CUM 26?

Comment

Bloody hell, missed the news that FIFA have carried on with their "Human Rights Abusers" World Cup tour with US/Mexico. Some boycotters will miss an entire generation of World Cups. MAybe they thought having Canada's nice demeanour would dilute the other two. Must be China for 2030, Israel for 2036 and Coruscant for 2040.
                                          Last edited by Bored Of Education; 15-06-2018, 17:03.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                                            Bloody hell, missed the news that FIFA have carried on with their "Human Rights Abusers" World Cup tour with US/Mexico. Some boycotters will miss an entire generation of World Cups. MAybe they thought having Canada's nice demeanour would dilute the other two. Must be China for 2030, Israel for 2036 and Coruscant for 2040.
                                            You noticed the other bidder, by any chance?

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                                              What happened to 2034? Do you know something we don't?

Comment

The best-established bid so far for 2030 is Argentina–Uruguay–Paraguay (with the aim of having the centennial final back in the Estadio Centenario), but a headline I saw earlier says 'Great Britain' (in the words of the Argentine press) are preparing a rival bid. I stress I've read precisely no detail on this beyond said headline.

Comment

The FA are considering bidding, and are reportedly talking with the Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish FAs about possibly doing so as a UK-wide effort. Scotland and Wales already have and will presumably in 2030 still possess suitable stadiums, though whether Belfast (which doesn't) needs a brand new 40+k capacity stadium is very arguable. So calling it a 'Great Britain' bid is actually pretty accurate.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-cu...030-world-cup/
                                                  Last edited by Janik; 16-06-2018, 09:18.

Comment

Is that very arguable in the 'batshit crazy' sense?

There's been debate among NI fans- both before, during and since Windsor Park's recent refurb- on whether 18,000 capacity is enough, or whether we should have imaginatively looked towards 25k. I'm in the former camp. Our senior women and all junior sides play in stadia that hold 3- 4,000. The League Champions' average this season was less than 2,000.

Anyway, by 2030 we will have joined up with fellow underachievers down South, and they'll sulk if not given an automatic place with some games in Dublin.

Play it in Montevideo and then consign the whole farce to a museum piece. If the Scots and Welsh want a festival of fwtba I'm up for the u-19s at Llanelli or Ice Station Broadwood

ex-IFA pres and FIFA hack Jim Boyce (quoted in that Telegraph article) once booked the NI team into a rural Spanish hotel where none of the staff spoke English. Luckily Gerry Armstrong and I arrived just in time to source Jimbo's late lunch
                                                    Last edited by Duncan Gardner; 16-06-2018, 09:55.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X