World Cup 2026

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, all three hosts qualify.

WOM, before you go wild at Costco, you should know that Canada is only getting 10 matches, and that BMO Field is by some distance the smallest of the three Canadian venues (the Big O and Commonwealth in Edmonton being the others).

Comment

What are the prospective venues/match allocations then?

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
        Yes, all three hosts qualify.

WOM, before you go wild at Costco, you should know that Canada is only getting 10 matches, and that BMO Field is by some distance the smallest of the three Canadian venues (the Big O and Commonwealth in Edmonton being the others).
        They were saying on CBC Sports that BMO field might be expandable to 45,000 in a pinch, but it'll be tough going. Skydome/Rogers Centre will seat more (I think), but I don't even think it's possible with artificial turf. Or is it?

Comment

The expansion of BMO is part of the bid, but yes, the choice of BMO over SkyDome was largely based on turf (the Big O and Edmonton agreed to put in grass fields for the tournament, the Jays thought it wouldn't work, even if the availability issues were solved).

Comment

Originally posted by Бога Нет View Post
            What are the prospective venues/match allocations then?
            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada...tential_venues

The official bid has proposed the "main" opening match be held in either the Azteca Stadium in Mexico City or at the Rose Bowl in the Los Angeles area, that all three host countries' teams would host their first matches on the first day of the tournament and that the final match be held at MetLife Stadium in the New York City area. The bid also proposed that the two semi-final matches would be held at AT&T Stadium in the Dallas/Fort Worth area and Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta. All of the other cities in the American portion of the bid are under consideration for quarter-final matches. The bid book proposal calls for Mexico and Canada to each host seven group-stage games, two matches in the round of 32, and one in the round of 16.

Comment

The entire 530 page bid book is available on-line

Comment

How many places had CONCACAF been allocated in the expanded 48 team tournament? I'm assuming now that they lose 2 of those as there'll be 3 hosts not 1? Could make qualification quite a scramble if it's for eg 2.5 places.

Comment

They had six, they now have 3.5 (the 0.5 being contested in a play off tournament in which two teams qualify from a field of six (one from each non-UEFA confederation, and an extra one from CONCACAF, as host confederation)).

Comment

They should knock it back to 16 teams and have the whole thing in SoCal.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                      Basement for Rent.
                      Same. I'm not near a venue but well placed for cheap accommodations within an afternoon's drive of several.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                        Basement for Rent.
                        Stadia to rent. Sans parking.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                          The expansion of BMO is part of the bid, but yes, the choice of BMO over SkyDome was largely based on turf (the Big O and Edmonton agreed to put in grass fields for the tournament, the Jays thought it wouldn't work, even if the availability issues were solved).
                          The Jays are working on putting in grass, but I'm not sure if or when that will happen. It would certainly be possible to put in grass for one or two games - easier than expanding BMO, I'd think - but I suppose the Jays didn't see the value in having to vacate their park in the middle of the season for however many days.

Comment

Worth mentioning that BMO is a much better place to watch a game

Comment

Very much so.

Comment

"Best place to watch a game" doesn't factor into FIFA's thinking, because its not likely to have much impact on ticket sales.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if the maximum possible ticket revenue from an expanded BMO isn't at least as high as SkyDome.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                    I'm totally on board with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                      Works for me.

Comment

I'm not a fan of some of the choices for the US cities. Nashville and not San Diego or Phoenix? Baltimore AND Washington DC?

Comment

I'm surprised that San Diego isn't getting games, but we don't have great stadium choices apart from Petco - which is usually in use during the summer. Qualcomm's obsolete and probably getting torn down. Maybe they're putting the region's games in Tijuana?

Comment

Not a venue

The Mexican cities are Mexico City, Monterrey and Guadalajara

Comment

The Xolos stadium, Estadio Caliente, isn't that much bigger than an MLS stadium, and I'm guessing that they thought that Tijuana's reputation might have scared people away.

Comment

Nothing should be held in Phoenix in the summer. We don't need England fans dying of heatstroke.

Cool to see the Rose Bowl and the Citrus Bowl make it from 1994.

Comment

Canada and Mexico are only getting ten matches each.

There just aren't near enough matches for them too doread them around

Of course the Citrus Bowl was responsible for dozens of cases of heat exhaustion among the Irish export

Comment

Citrus bowl was full of ginger gobshites drinking for 12 hours before the game and sitting in the open without a hat or sunscreen,any games in Seattle which is the only place I know I'd get a sofa to sleep on

Comment

Working...
                                                    X