Ace dribblers who didn't score much

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ace dribblers who didn't score much

I watched a Youtube showreel last night of Maradona's greatest dribbles. In this particular showreel there are some breathtaking dribbles, but not one of them results in a goal. Obviously Maradona did score goals in his career, but if you just went by this video you would think that Maradona was a demon dribbler who couldn't score to save his life.

This has got me thinking . Are there any players who could/can beat several opposing players in amazing dribbles but hardly ever scored/score goals?

Giggs didn't score many. Waddle? Did he score loads? Seems unlikely. Proper wingers weren't allowed to score, as they weren't allowed to leave the touchline.

Comment

Tommy Dougall of Borough. As Charlie MacIntosh said, "If you went up as many blind alleys in your car..." etc etc

Comment

John Paul Kissock was a popular player with some Southport fans for his ability to dribble round half the opposition. However his dribbles invariably ended up out near the touch line, in a position from which the goal was in absolutely no danger.

Comment

Damien duff. This thread should be about Damien Duff. a goal every 8 games is absurdly low for a player of his ability. 8 goals in 100 ireland games.

Comment

The Wizard of Dribble himself only scored one in ten (says Wiki). Of course that was being a proper winger though, sticking to the outside of the pitch, not one of those modern Damien Duff hybrid winger forward/things like Robben or Ribéry (1 in 3 each?).

Comment

Jamie Clapham.

Comment

Mark Gavin.

Comment

Stan Libuda never scored much. However, there's a law in Germany that prevents anybody from criticising Stan Libuda (similar to the Beckenbauer Law, which ran its course a couple of years ago). So, lest I get deported, I'll keep my mouth shut about his lack of goals.

Comment

Jeferson Montero.

Comment

Attacking midfielder Sofiane Boufal, voted one of the best dribblers in Europe two seasons running in 2015-2017 (superb at Lille), and again one of the very best in 2017-18 by various sports media and websites (L’Équipe etc.).

Indeed, Boufal is technically supremely gifted, has a stunning array of tricks in his locker, scores the odd amazing goal etc. but he seems to have seriously regressed at Southampton - or was he never that good, or not that good enough for the PL? He is a very talented player but in the last two seasons, he seems to have inherited the dreaded "more style than substance" tag. He seems pretty ineffectual to me but I’m not really following Soton so maybe I'm being unfair to him. He hasn’t been included in the Morocco WC squad, possibly because he was deemed not to have played enough by Hervé Renard (the Morocco coach – the Cambridge United supporters on here may remember him), not sure. The Moroccan midfield looks pretty strong, so maybe competition was too tough for him to be included.

L'international Marocain Sofiane Boufal qui évolue au LOSC, a été désigné comme 3e meilleur dribbleur au monde en 2016.

Aprčs Hatem Ben Arfa, l’attaquant lillois Sofiane Boufal est le second plus gros dribbleur de l’Europe du foot. C’est ce qui ressort d’une analyse chiffrée publiée par lequipe.fr ce vendredi.

Sofiane Boufal dans le Top 10 européen des meilleurs dribbleurs (tableau)

Comment

Iniesta?

Comment

Peter Barnes, from what I remember. He was good on the ball and not afraid to take opponents on - but seldom found an end product. Rapidly faded from the limelight in the early eighties.

Comment

Mousa Dembélé is probably one of the more prominent examples of this right now.

Comment

Eddie Gray?

Comment

Kinkladze

Comment

Just been watching (for the umpteenth time) Carlos Alberto's crowning goal for Brazil in the 1970 World Cup final. Clodoaldo had started that wonderful passage of play by dribbling past four Italians: he'd managed a fine goal in the semi vs Uruguay, but that was the only time he ever scored for the national team, also managing only two goals in over 500 appearances for Santos. So, maybe him.

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                                  Mousa Dembélé is probably one of the more prominent examples of this right now.
                                  Yep - I should've thought of Mousa.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                    Eddie Gray?
                                    Still, to the best of my knowledge, the only man to put a shot into the upper tier of the North Stand at Villa Park. Boxing Day 1979.

Comment

Working...
                                    X