• Time
  • Show
Clear All

THE FRIDAY NIGHT GREAT DEBATE

TOFU!

Anaemic spongy shite

or

Reasonable meat substitute

I expect this thread to divide us just as much as the Jordan Peterson one would have if it hadn't just been Bruno fighting an impressive but utterly pointless rearguard on his own.

From my corner, I don't mind it in a stir-fry, but I've no idea what else to do with it. Except stick it in between a couple of bits of bread or something. Everything tastes better as a sandwich.

Rant over.

Tofu? Tofuck off more like.
    All in all, 6 on 10 must try harder.

Comment

to-fooey, I say.

Comment

If one must have a meat substitute, aubergine is surprisingly effective.

Comment

And what are you using it for there? Because aubergine is near as dammit inedible.

Comment

Aubergine is a bit slimy for my tastes.

Comment

Is that a quote from some program or film I haven't watched? Because if not then that's a very odd thing to say.

Comment

Never tried it. Does that help?

Comment

This thread title put me in mind of Central Weekend.

I wish it hadn't.

Comment

What's the point when feta and falafel exist?

Comment

How far from Austerlitz for poor Bruno. Tofu is gak, but my Asian palette and cooking experience is limited, at least when Asia is east of India. New flatmate is all about that stuff apparently, so I’ll probably be forcing down some random stuff politely for a while. Please god no water chestnuts. Or sea cucumber.

Comment

Last edited by Snake Plissken; 01-06-2018, 19:01.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                          And what are you using it for there? Because aubergine is near as dammit inedible.
                          Except in moussaka.

Comment

Firm tofu is brilliant. "Silken" tofu is horrible

Comment

It's only "good" when hidden in something else, like hot and sour soup. It adds texture and fuck all taste.

Comment

Aubergine is alright if it’s cut small enough and prepared properly, then roasted with other veg. Mousakka ive always been a bit disappointed with. Wish it was pasta and not aubergine layers. And lamb/goat can’t get near pork and beef for me. I’m disappointed it’s not lasagne really.

Comment

Falafel is my number 1 guy. Me and falafel are tight; from the same end'd take falafel over a doner kebab these days. Safad over in the village do the best falafel. Their special onions are one of my top eight favourite things in the world right now. Also, they're all Palestinian lads so good for the hashtagpersonalbrand. I also recommend their fatayer, a sort of folded pizza. Mad good.

I'm not into feta but I'm all over halloumi at the minute. Bit of leaf, grilled halloumi, tomatoes. In a nice bit of bread. Fuck me who needs meat?

Comment

Tofu really good if you marinade it then fry it first. Aubergine can be good. Tofu with mince if you're not vegan also very good.

Comment

I went to China with Garcia years ago, and the guy we were staying with brought us on a culinary tour of Shanghai. Loads of really amazing restaurants from various parts of China. I tried Tofu a bunch of times, and every single time it was just kind of pointless. As in literally anything else would have been better in its place. I didn't like Tofu before I went, but I approached it with an open mind, because chinese food in a is pretty amazing. Sadly they couldn't make Tofu work for me. It's kind of like the Yorkshire pudding of China.

Comment

Tried it one time. Horrible.

Comment

While I have no particular qualms with tofu as a foodstuff in its own right (it can work in certain dishes - needs a LOT of seasoning though), as a meat substitite they need to sort out that strange rubbery spongey mouth-feel.

Comment

'Taint either or. Tofu is designed to absorb other flavours (sauces etc) in stir fries and it's excellent for that. I disagree with ad hoc re: silken tofu. One of the best dishes in the world is uni (sea urchin) with a dressing of creamy tofu.

Meat substitutes are many and various. One of my favourites is replacing a burger pattie with a grilled portobella mushroom cap. Dead simple and almost nothing is lost in texture or flavour.

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
                                              TOFU!

Anaemic spongy shite

or

Reasonable meat substitute

I expect this thread to divide us just as much as the Jordan Peterson one would have if it hadn't just been Bruno fighting an impressive but utterly pointless rearguard on his own.

From my corner, I don't mind it in a stir-fry, but I've no idea what else to do with it. Except stick it in between a couple of bits of bread or something. Everything tastes better as a sandwich.

Rant over.
                                              ***ADVERTISEMENT FEATURE FROM THE TOFU MARKETING BOARD***

Neither imo. Tofu's great but it shouldn't be considered a meat substitute cos that's a recipe for disappointment.

Meat can be chucked in a pan, stirred a bit and it tastes great. Tofu needs to be treated quite carefully - it's worth taking the time to press tofu otherwise it'll inevitably taste of tofu water.

Black bean tofu is my go-to tofu dish (I make my own black bean sauce and fry cubes of tofu with green beans).

My top tofu non-stir fry recipes:
                                              1) cut your block of tofu into slabs, marinade in soy sauce, dredge in corn-flour, then beaten egg with a little soy sauce and shallow fry, serve with a soy dipping sauce
                                              2) shira-ae where (silken) tofu forms the dressing on a green vegetable salad
                                              3) scrambled tofu

My favourite tofu is smoked tofu though
                                              Last edited by Bizarre Löw Triangle; 01-06-2018, 20:46.

Comment

Tofu is definitely not a meat substitute.

I'm mostly on ad hoc's side on the silken vs firm tofu (Amor is also wrong about uni, which is one of the world's most overrated foodstuffs).

Tofu is good when fried, and with lots of high flavour stuff. On its own, or underseasoned, it is of course spectacularly bland.

Comment

Tofu is great.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X