No announcement yet.

Talking Balls: WC 2018 TV Coverage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think there'll be someone within the BBC with commisioning power but no sporting knowledge who imagines that "Lawro" is a much-loved national character. In much the same way that they kept on John Motson for 10 years too long.
    I just hope that soon he'll say something that's too xenophobic, sexist or ignorant and a "storm" will be whipped up sufficient to remove him.

Comment

In the US, Fox aired a glowing portrait of Stalin's dacha produced by National Geographic. It literally starts out with "think what you will about Josef Stalin..."
      https://www.foxsports.com/fifa-world.../1263348803733

Comment

The Canadian coverage on TSN, the all-sport cable affiliate of the Bell/CTV network, has been excellent. They've used British feeds for the live game commentary but provide good, sober technical analysis at halftime that's a lot better than the ITV/BBC halftime or post-game fare, where they spend most of their time talking about England's chances.

Comment

Greek TV is odd in that the crowd noise is turned right down. They have no half time analysis (Only ads) and no build up to the last game slot of the day (9pm here) because they have a 1 hour European Parliament show at 8pm.

Comment

In Australia, SBS Radio have been using the BBC 5 Live feed whilst also broadcasting on their other stations/radio app in the languages of the teams competing. With the night games starting at 2am, I've been recording the match on the tele as well as the radio feed, so I can watch the 1st half whilst having breakfast and listen to the 2nd half on the bus on the way in to work.

It's worked well and I have to admit to enjoying the radio commentary more than watching the games, but the final group games have proven problematic for SBS with the simultaneous kick-offs. It appears 5 Live are only commentating on one of the games, so for the other game SBS have opted to use the commentary feed from the TV. It was bloody difficult trying to follow the 2nd half of Spain-Morocco as the TV commentator seemed to prefer the pictures to do the talking. All I heard was crowd noises and then "Isco..................Iniesta.................... offside".

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
              I think there'll be someone within the BBC with commisioning power but no sporting knowledge who imagines that "Lawro" is a much-loved national character. In much the same way that they kept on John Motson for 10 years too long.
              I just hope that soon he'll say something that's too xenophobic, sexist or ignorant and a "storm" will be whipped up sufficient to remove him.
              A bit like Motson, he has become increasingly sidelined though. He's hardly ever on MOTD anymore, and isn't used as the co-commentator for the big games, with Danny Murphy or Martin Keown getting the nod ahead of him, presumably on the basis that they actually do analysis.

Comment

Think what you will of Alan Hanson, but at least he quit before absolutely everyone despairingly wanted him to just shut up and go home.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                  Think what you will of Alan Hanson, but at least he quit before absolutely everyone despairingly wanted him to just shut up and go home.
                  If only...

Comment

Although he's got his worryingly popular 5 Live Show at the moment (and I daresay a "tells it like it is" newspaper column), I haven't noticed Robbie Savage on TV during this World Cup. Has he decamped elsewhere or has common sense prevailed among the commissioners?

Comment

Originally posted by CY_Boaby View Post
                      And as sure as night follows day, Optus couldn't sort their shit out within 48 hours, so SBS now have free to air coverage of the entire group stage. Just give SBS the entire bloody rights back.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-2...to-sbs/9891118
                      Optus have finally realised what a bad move it would be to take their rights back off from SBS now the group stage is wrapping up and will now allow them to broadcast the entire tournament

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-2...-games/9919918

Comment

Originally posted by Arturo View Post
                        Although he's got his worryingly popular 5 Live Show at the moment (and I daresay a "tells it like it is" newspaper column), I haven't noticed Robbie Savage on TV during this World Cup. Has he decamped elsewhere or has common sense prevailed among the commissioners?
                        I've not heard him on any 5Live commentary either - though given they've been using Chris Sutton, who's angry word-puke style was in full evidence during the Germany game yesterday, I'm not sure that's a good or bad thing.

Comment

Mark Lawrenson was doing the Japan-Poland game. The mind boggles.

Comment

As noted on the Football forum, you can hear John Helm goal highlights on the FIFA YouTube channel

Comment

Due to being on a ginormous boat for two weeks, the only feed is the official FIFA one on some channel called Sport24. It’s glorious. One commentator, no punditry before, during or after, no adverts, coverage ends about a minute after the game ends.

Glorious.

Comment

Same in Greece. Love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                  Due to being on a ginormous boat for two weeks, the only feed is the official FIFA one on some channel called Sport24. It’s glorious. One commentator, no punditry before, during or after, no adverts, coverage ends about a minute after the game ends.

Glorious.
                                  I like it too, only drawbacks being the official ass-kissing (everything in Russia is wonderful) and a fair bit of glossing over "incidents".

Also I shout "Who are you?" when the commentator starts. Except Helm and Darke.

Comment

Peter Drury got the final, and confirmed every worst fear about doing Putin's PR. He even had a rant about the pitch invaders, when it was immediately obvious that it wasn't a lone drunk, but something organised. He sounded like a "keep politics out of sport" Telegraph editorial, of the apartheid era.

Comment

Working...
                                    X