No announcement yet.

Bale Out and Other Summer Transfers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All transfers have FFP implications spread over a three year period. Swansea have big parachute payments to soften those but they still have to watch the pennies.

Comment

I was wondering whether Swansea’s financial problems might be more serious than failing to meet FFP.

Comment

Well Stoke have spent a net £~15m in this transfer window, when in ostensibly the same FFP boat. That could be Stoke gambling on not being in the Football League for long enough that FFP matters, or indicative that Swansea have deeper financial issues than Stoke. Or most likely some combination of things being worse at the Liberty Stadium, and Stoke overspending in the hope of an immediate return.

Comment

Fulham have spent £110m and added expensive loans to their wage bill.
          What's their ownership like? Because that looks like the sort of shit-or-bust thing that failed a lot of times in the mid noughties.
          That said, there are some good players in there.

In: Jean Michaël Seri Nice, £25m; Maxime le Marchand Nice, £3m; André Frank Zambo Anguissa Marseille, £30m; Aleksandar Mitrovic Newcastle, £22m; Alfie Mawson Swansea, £20m; Joe Bryan Fulham, £6m; Fabri Besiktas, £5m; Timothy Fosu-Mensah Manchester United, loan; Luciano Vietto Atlético Madrid, loan; André Schürrle Dortmund, loan; Calum Chambers Arsenal, loan; Sergio Rico Sevilla, loan.
          Source: The Guardian

Comment

Fulham are now owned by the bloke who wants to buy Wembley, aren't they? Letting a club go bankrupt would be a bad move on his part whilst that deal is still being made.

Fulham's parachute payments had ran out, so they have also seen a massive budget increase this summer. And if they manage to pay themselves for transfers (cf. "Joe Bryan Fulham, £6m") that will help keep the money within the club!

Comment

Yes, Shahid Khan - also owner of the Jacksonville Jaguars and worth something like $7.5m apparently.

Comment

That’s USD 7.5 billion with a B

Auto parts

Comment

Duh, yes - mindslip there.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                    Fulham have spent £110m and added expensive loans to their wage bill.
                    What's their ownership like? Because that looks like the sort of shit-or-bust thing that failed a lot of times in the mid noughties.
                    That said, there are some good players in there.

Source: The Guardian
                    They look like smart, considered, buys to me (unlike the stupid ones our rich owners made in a similar situation.)

Comment

When are the 25-man Premier League squads coming out? You'd have thought that if you're going to be neat and have your window close before the start of the season, you'd also want the squads all tied up as well.

I suppose the thinking might be that clubs will have to cut loose a fair bit of chaff in the open European markets, and delaying the squads means they can name those left behind at the end of that process.

Comment

Originally posted by cantagalo View Post
                        This probably counts as the best ever transfer window for Brentford. The breakdown of negotiations with Swansea for Ryan Woods means that for now, we’ve managed to keep all our best players and add to the depth of the squad with more promising young talent.

One worry though is the loophole in the new transfer window deadline. Players can be loaned with a view to a permanent sale in January right up until August 31st. If Swansea come back and try that one on, I hope our Directors of Football tell them to piss off.

I’m struggling to understand how Swansea, having received about £100m* in TV revenue from the PL for getting relegated plus substantial fees for Mawson, Clucas and others and with parachute payments to come, can have got themselves into such a financial state that they cannot afford an extra £500,000 to meet Brentford’s more than reasonable valuation of Woods.

*I’m guessing here
                        We're trying to unload all of the high earners before division three next season. This was a farce and an embarrassment.

Comment

In late news. Angel Rangel training with us. Free agent, short term contract. We could certainly use some experience in our own half. Looked very naive so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                            We're trying to unload all of the high earners before division three next season. This was a farce and an embarrassment.
                            Apparently, our DOF Phil Giles has just told Swansea ‘the transfer window is shut, I’m turning my phone off and won’t be speaking to you again’.

Ryan Woods played for Brentford at Southend tonight.

Comment

I’m going to look a bit stupid if he does end up going to Swansea, aren’t I?

Comment

Ragnar Klavan to Cagliari.

Bye then, you big, mad Estonian bastard.

Comment

In other "Premier League reserve packed off to poor to middling Italian team" news, Joel Campbell's 7 (SEVEN) year Arsenal career is at an end, he's off to Frosinone, permanently, after 6 loan spells.

Comment

Off to Juangsu Suning, apparently.

Comment

Jiangsu Suning.

Damn you fat fingers.

Comment

Seems an odd move at only 30, although he'll be fresher for Wales.

Comment

The club Bale's joining are 7th in the Chinese League, very unlikely to qualify for the 2020 AFC Champions League, and had total revenue of £30m in 2015. They're allegedly planning to pay Bale £50m a year.

Comment

And now news of "no longer a vacancy at Real Madrid"

Bale staying at the club

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49144872

Comment

You know this is all being discussed on the right thread, Summer Transfers 2019, not the one for last close season?

Comment

Given this thread is specifically about Gareth Bale, and there's been general close season transfer threads before (including last year), why would I post it somewhere else?

Comment

Working...
                                                X