No announcement yet.

Sliding around on smashed up bricks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stephens overpowered Halep in the first set but Halep becomes more favoured the longer the match goes. I think Stephens had to win it in straight sets if she was going to beat Halep.

Comment

Come the fuck on

Comment

I think she really wanted the 6-0 there. She gave everything in that game.

Comment

Yessssssss!

Comment

Bravo Romania. Bravo Simona!

Comment

I love a good redemption story.

Comment

Some very good tennis in that match.

Nice that the top 4 in Monday's rankings will be the 4 current holders of the slam titles (and almost in reverse chronlogical order, save that Muguruza will rank ahead of Stephens).

Comment

,,, and it's also nice that the last 7 women's slams have been won by 7 different women. I would love to see that become 8 consecutive different women by means of Kvitova taking another Wimbledon title next month.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                    On the men's side, I can't picture anyone beating Nadal. And there's nobody in the other side of the draw who's at all compelling, but Etienne's prediction of Thiem is as good as any.

On the women's, I have this weird naggy feeling that it's finally going to be Halep's tournament. Beating Suarez Navarro, who's going to have one of those tournaments that otherwise just OK players sometimes do.
                    That's my luck exhausted for the year. Whatever you do, don't bet on my WC or Wimbledon predictions.

Comment

Your Wimbledon predictions will feel more reliable than my pre-season predictions. I definitely claimed that both Wozniacki and Halep would remain Slamless by the end of the year. That has been proven wrong as fast possible! Erm, so, yes...

Not sure whether this classes as more embarrassing than tipping Belinda Bencic for the 2017 season end top 4 (final ranking 165!).

Comment

As for today, Stephens played one rank game at 2-1 with a break up in the second set. And from that point her belief drained away and Halep's grew massively. Getting the monkey of Simona's back will hopefully mean she fully embraces being the top player in the World. She already had the game for it, it was just the mental side and how the biggest hurdle on that has been overcome then the sky is the limit... I'm hoping for 7-8 Slams by the time she retires, with a possible career Slam in there.

Comment

The Guardian blog has some excellent quotes from her coach, Darren Cahill.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/bl...and-slam-title

Stephens is my favourite to win Wimbledon based on what she showed in the first set. Shorter matches (and points) will help her. But it depends on her mental strength because two Grand Slam finals in a month is a tough ask mentally not just physically.

Comment

Does Thiem have any chance today? I hope it's competitive at least.

Comment

Well, set one was very competitive. Until the end where Thiem subsided with four unforced errors to be broken to love. Big psychological test, because it's very dubious whether Thiem can play any better and yet he is still losing.

Comment

It's been ten years since Federer and Nadal engaged in that legendary battle at SW19. Who would have thought that when the 10th anniversary came to pass that the previous 6 Grand Slam titles would have been 3-3 between the two?

Comment

Originally posted by Jimski View Post
                                  I don't know why, but I've got a slight feeling about Thiem for Sunday. Just feel that Nadal isn't quite the player he was last year. He looked vulnerable against Schwartzman, and also in Rome against Zverev. And of course Thiem beat him in Madrid. Depends a lot on Thiem's nerves, of course.
                                  Hah, so much for that!

Comment

Even more strangely, neither had won the previous 10, the 2014 Wimbledon to 2016 US Open. I can't remember any other individual sport that just backflipped to an era that had seemed to be over.

Comment

Originally posted by multipleman78 View Post
                                      It's been ten years since Federer and Nadal engaged in that legendary battle at SW19. Who would have thought that when the 10th anniversary came to pass that the previous 6 Grand Slam titles would have been 3-3 between the two?
                                      If I've got my stats right, since Federer's first slam win in 2003, the pair have won 37 Grand Slams out of the next 60. Add the 12 that Djokovic has won, and that is 49 out of 60 by three players in a period of fifteen years. Incredible.

Comment

Using your stat, i think out of the remaining 11 Slams not won by those 3 champions, only 5 of those finals didn't have one of them as runner up.

Comment

Working...
                                        X