Does There Have To Be A Winner? - Real Madrid v Liverpool, CL Final

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does There Have To Be A Winner? - Real Madrid v Liverpool, CL Final

I will probably feel obliged to watch this unless I can persuade my wife to let me do something more pleasant, like mowing the lawn. But it can only end badly because a win for either club will leave a bad taste. The taste would be worse if Real won but something about Klopp and the fan culture he whips up seems very exclusionary and a bit nasty. I admire Klopp for having found a style that beats better financed and more aesthetically pleasing technical sides (most obviously Man City in the SF) but there is also something a bit frenetic there and it's always a gamble whether their defence will turn up (or if they don't, the attack will make up for the goals conceded).

There's also a problem that a Liverpool win revives the myth that the club still has some authentic working class soul that Shankly would identify: it doesn't, surely? It's just a case of a coach finding a strategy and formation to win against bigger clubs with better players, as Rafa did in 2005 and (almost) 2007.
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 24-05-2018, 11:09.

If I was you I would mow the lawn. Not sure I get your working class soul comments.

Comment

There's not a club left in the Premier League or many a level below that can still claim to have anything approaching a "working class soul". I don't like the idea of Real winning it, but there is the usual side effects of Liverpool enjoying success that are covered in this recent thread.

Comment

I've never liked Real Madrid, but I still hope Liverpool are humiliated and outclassed, lose at least 5-0, and Klopp blames it all on the pitch being too dry. I think I'll have to spend the night in a mountain cottage, or somewhere without an internet connection, just in case there's any other outcome.

Comment

Nicky Campbell caused a stir on t'radio this morning - in a piece interviewing a Liverpool fan who was about to set off and one who was staying at home, the former speculated whether there was a McDonalds in Kiev, prompting Campbell to sneer 'do you know what the food is like in Kiev? One word - disgusting'. The intrepid traveler replied OOH WE'D BETTER PACK SOME EXTRA TOILET ROLL THEN EH HAHAHAHAHA.

Campbell was clearly told by someone to apologise profusely at the end of the interview, and kept having to apologise as texts came in pulling him up on it.

Comment

I hope Liverpool win. I know plenty of nice people who support them and one of my best friends is going to the game, having missed out in 2005.

Klopp's wacky "they have a cat, we have a furry friend" video was a bit much though.

Comment

I don’t hate either side but I find it hard to get excited by one of them winning it.

I used to have a soft spot for Liverpool (they were my second team when I was a kid) and remember being ecstatic when they won in Istanbul but something has changed since. It’s probably coming on here that’s done it as that happened in 2006. Klopp’s shtick and complete lack of class on multiple recent occasions is grating too.

That said, it will be pretty bloody boring if Real win it but I do like a lot of their players; Bale for obvious reasons but I love to watch Ronaldo, Modric and Marcelo play. The only Liverpool player that really does anything for me is Salah.

So, quite the dilemma. I really could be swayed either way by the most minor of incidents in the game itself.
              Last edited by Ray de Galles; 24-05-2018, 22:01.

Comment

Mrs Thistle hates Liverpool ever since they stuck by "Bitey". She also can't stand Ronaldo so it's a tough one to call.

I honestly couldn't give a shit. But that goes for Champions League football generally.

Comment

Meanwhile this has been retweeted almost 4000 times

https://twitter.com/JustLaurahhh/status/999299661943975936?s=19

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                    'do you know what the food is like in Kiev? One word - disgusting'.
                    Nicky Campbell is an arrogant douchewad, but even worse he missed the obvious one word answer: Chicken!"

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                      Meanwhile this has been retweeted almost 4000 times

https://twitter.com/JustLaurahhh/status/999299661943975936?s=19
                      The people's club.

Comment

Can only see a torrid anal hammering for Liverpool unfortunately. If they neutralize the wings and fucking Ronaldo takes TAA apart as I expect, it’ll be 3-1 minimum half time

Comment

Or Liverpool 2 up at half time and fucking it away in the last ten, that’s the most likely outcome maybes.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                            Mrs Thistle hates Liverpool ever since they stuck by "Bitey".
                            I read this as "Biley", and was trying to recall a time when Alan Biley was a player at the club.

Comment

You encounter the 'working class club' stuff a lot from football fans in other countries.

I think Torres played up to it when he went from Atleti to Liverpool (that he was going from one working class soul club to another) and Gladbach fans' love-in with Liverpool includes such myths, too.

Comment

Confirmation of Lrlb's travails and not his travels...

Comment

I'm on the Liverpool side. Mainly because Real are the ultimate in corporate branding exercises, the embodiment of entitlement. They are The Man. Speaking of which, I want to see Ronaldo in tears. A full on tantrum that even a five year old would consider a bit much. We all know he is capable of it. I want to see Bale lose, not because I don't like him, but because of that fucking top knot and on message heart shape thing. I want to see Sergio Ramos sent off in the first half for not fouling anybody. I want to see Isco sent off for two yellow cards for diving. I don't particularly want to see Liverpool win, I just want to see Real Madrid lose.

Comment

"Sleepy giants"?

https://twitter.com/lennonneve/status/999552065037889536

Comment

Oh dear oh fucking dear!

https://twitter.com/fitzyy85/status/998325462815379457

Comment

wingco has commissioned these, hasn't he?

Comment

And now I'm wavering.

Comment

I think the one at the end of this sketch may tip you over the edge ;

https://twitter.com/ESPNUK/status/999640362456150016

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                                  X