Germany 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Germany 2018

Jogi Löw has named his preliminary squad of 27. The notable exclusions are Mario Götze and Sandro Wagner (but Gomez made it). Wagner didn't make it, but Freiburg's Nils Petersen is in the 27. I expect he will be one of the three to be cut from the squad. Reus made it, sat last.

Manuel Neuer is named, even though he hasn't played all season and most of last season. Ter Stegen must feel that he doesn't enjoy Löw's full confidence.

Goalkeepers: Bernd Leno (Bayer Leverkusen), Manuel Neuer (Bayern Munich), Marc-Andre ter Stegen (Barcelona), Kevin Trapp (Paris Saint-Germain)

Defenders: Jerome Boateng (Bayern), Matthias Ginter (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Jonas Hector (Cologne), Mats Hummels (Bayern), Joshua Kimmich (Bayern), Marvin Plattenhardt (Hertha Berlin), Antonio Rüdiger (Chelsea), Niklas Süle (Bayern), Jonathan Tah (Bayer Leverkusen)

Midfielders: Julian Brandt (Leverkusen), Julian Draxler (PSG), Leon Goretzka (Schalke), Ilkay Gündogan (Manchester City), Sami Khedira (Juventus), Toni Kroos (Real Madrid), Mesut Özil (Arsenal), Sebastian Rudy (Bayern)

Forwards: Mario Gomez (VfB Stuttgart), Thomas Müller (Bayern), Nils Petersen (Freiburg) Marco Reus (Borussia Dortmund), Leroy Sane (Man City), Timo Werner (RB Leipzig)

I expect Petersen, Brandt and Trapp (or Neuer, if not 100% fit) to be cut

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
    Ter Stegen must feel that he doesn't enjoy Löw's full confidence.
    Was he stitched up by last Sunday's match?

Comment

Are we alright to expanding this to general squad discussion? In which case, I don't really understand some of the announcement processes. Why did Portugal announce a 35-man squad on the 14th and then cut it to 23 on the 17th? Poland cut from 35 on the 11th to 32 on the 18th, Australia went from 32 on the 6th to 26 on the 14th. Are these squads even together yet?

Comment

It's silly isn't it? And weirdly something that England have got right, by just announcing the final 23 and not leaving any room for doubt or debate.

Comment

Should I change the thread title to something more generic?

Comment

If you like, but I don't want to force you!

I read since my last post (and have immediately forgotten where) that you're required to post a 35-man squad to FIFA from which you can pick reserves if required. Doesn't really explain why Portugal and Poland would make theirs public, mind.

EDIT: Here's the list of players who played in every World Cup from 2002-2014. Beasley (United States), Buffon (Italy), Casillas (Spain), Klose (Germany), Marquez (Mexico), Xavi (Spain). Marquez is in the Mexico preliminary squad aged 39, so he could continue the run. Are there any players who can do the 2006-2018 set?
            Last edited by JM Footzee; 18-05-2018, 21:30.

Comment

Working...
            X