No announcement yet.

Pull up selector! Pakistan in England 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glad they've done something, but the return of Jennings won't do much to shake the feeling that this is a cosy circle of a elite pros which a young cricketer has little or no chance of breaking into. Maybe it would have been better to let Jennings become a more formidable presence in county cricket before he comes again.

Comment

Harder to get out of the team than into it.

Comment

The Al Jazeera documentary on fixing is worth watching. 3 England players mentioned by one of the match fixers but bleeped out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYlk4izYVmw

Comment

Pakistan batting first after winning the toss.

Comment

Someone has put a rocket up Broad's backside. Great first over, Root with the catch of Imam-ul-Haq.

PK 0/1 (2.0)

Comment

Broad has his second!

Comment

Interesting listening to Vaughan talking about Broad looking fired up and on his game today; I was listening to the Vaughan and Tufnell podcast this week and he was suggesting that Broad could be dropped to mix things up because the squad looked too comfortable. Vaughan now says he hopes that those kinds of comments might have got the team a bit more motivated to prove themselves in this Test.

Comment

'If Stuart Broad is giving two fingers to me, then great... but why does it take a load of criticism to get yourself on it?"

Comment

Vaughan is prone to clickbait rent-a-quotery but I don't think he's wrong at the moment. England were a complacent mess at Lord's and were rightly criticised for it. They've reacted to that criticism but shouldn't need to do so, they should have been switched on at Lord's.

Edit : ah, cross-post with the quote above.
                    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 01-06-2018, 10:54.

Comment

That discussion they've just had on TMS about which end Curran should bowl from; Curran was on at the football stand (building site) end in the one day cup at Headingley last season and got clattered everywhere.

Comment

Fourth wicket goes, two each for Woakes and Broad now. A good morning's work.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                          Harder to get out of the team than into it.
                          Certainly true in the past, but I'm not sure there's any evidence of it now. There are a few that the selectors would happily drop, but there's no one to replace them.

63-4 now. Promising, but I'd like to see how we bat on it before I decide if that's any good

Comment

79/7. Looking good so far.

Comment

If it wasn't Pakistan, you'd wonder if they'd had a liquid lunch...

Comment

Hasan Ali going for broke and putting some decent numbers on the board here.

Comment

The 43 scored by the 9th wicket partnership was the highest of the innings so far.

Comment

The final three partnerships were responsible for around 55% of the total. PK 174 all out, Curran finishing things off with his maiden Test wicket.

Comment

Guardian sport @guardian_sport
                                      3m
                                      England end day one on 102-6 after bowling Pakistan out for 174
                                      Good old Grauniad.

Get to see Root start the day at the crease tomorrow, jolly good. Don't like the look of that weather forecast mind.

Comment

Morning everyone, Foxy's dodged a right bullet here. Raining, full covers on, going to be a while before we get a start if at all. Sat in the stand waiting for my mate to turn up...

Cycling fans hanging out on this thread may like to know that I bought Hugh Porter's autobiography in a charity shop in headingley, so the day may only end up as a literal washout.

Comment

Well it's stopped raining, it's very humid, we've just had an inspection. There's a surprisingly large number of people sat in the stands and they've just given the groundstaff a huge cheer for removing the first of the covers.

Comment

So, Ireland v England in a four-day Test at Lord's in July 2019, bring it on!

Comment

Oohs and aahs from the crowd as we watch a crow mobbing a Red Kite...

Comment

This one should be done and dusted by Monday morning, since no one can bat long enough. Which is a fucker as I'm scheduled to do the over-by-over on Tuesday.

Comment

Back from Headingley and I've managed to get spectacularly sunburnt which is quite impressive given the lack of sun. Or the floodlights have magical tanning properties.

Bess got a standing ovation for his 49, he batted like a batsman though does stand deep in his crease - he'll be out hit wicket sometime. Buttler played well, pretty much everyone else came in, had their knock and went again. Shadab found some turn for them. The timing of the taking of the new ball was...interesting. Curran hit a lovely pair of boundaries in the final over which was a nice treat for those who stayed to the end.

Comment

I'm happy for those who went that they got to see over four hours, and some interesting cricket. It really wasn't looking promising in the morning.

On the Broad/Vaughan disagreement, I'm instinctively on Broad's side as my reaction to Vaughan normally tends to be more like Nick Compton's*. That said, Broad and his team-mates should perhaps have had a bit of self-awareness and realised just how insipid their recent test performances had been. You're not a good side if you get hammered in six outings out of eight and don't ever look like forcing home your advantage in the other two.

Still, one point I'd make about Broad is that he engages with the views of journalists and pundits perhaps more than any other modern sports personality. Part of that seems to be a genuine wish to read/hear ideas that might help him be a better player. During the 2015 Ashes, he met up with Bob Willis, acknowledged the good tips he was given, and gave a nice description of the difference between Willis's private persona and the one he adopts for Sky's 'The Verdict'.

*Apparently Compton sent out a tweet (later deleted), wishing someone would 'shut that twat (Vaughan) up'.
                                                    Last edited by jameswba; 03-06-2018, 05:40. Reason: one word deleted

Comment

Working...
                                                    X