No announcement yet.

Pull up selector! Pakistan in England 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They'll give Stoneman another Test as part of the "one match too many not one too few" philosophy and because past behaviour suggests they're more likely to make a change for a new series. Plus there'll be lots of Championship matches for him to find some form between Pakistan and India....oh.

Wish someone would tell the batters that leaving or playing a defensive stroke is not an affront to their masculinity. It might also help if the head coach gave a quarter of a fuck about the format.

Comment

A fantastic day’s cricket to attend, especially for the neutral. Nice to see E10 too even if our quick pint at tea nearly caused us to miss England’s late collapse.

I said to my mate very early on that Pakistan looked far more settled & organised despite being a relatively inexperienced line-up and a touring side facing “English conditions”. The test against Ireland and warm up county matches having really done the job for them.

Indeed, I read in the match report that their side has played 126 days of first class cricket this summer compared to England’s 82 which is probably why the hosts looked like a scratch side who had just stepped off the plane (literally, in the case of the IPL players).

Comment

Can anyone explain what this new “Reaction” stat that the TV broadcasts are using illustrates?

Comment

Pakistan ease into a first innings lead with seven wickets still remaining...

Comment

I think they need a big lead given their vulnerability in 4th innings chases.

Comment

Yeah, but 200 should do them, given the fragility of England's batting lineup. For the first time in about 17 years, maybe more, it feels like we can confidently say that England a poor Test cricket side.

Pakistan have been great though, and it was wonderful to watch their seam attack yesterday – the main reason I went – though having a pint with Ray de Galles at tea-time appeared to spark the collapse.

Comment

England 1/1 and still about 175 behind. They had a chance to try and bat all day. They’re screwed.

Comment

Are England the worst ever team to boast several all-time greats?

Comment

Several is pushing it I'd say.

Anderson and Cook, probably Broad, Root with the potential.

The mid 80s probably included a similar number of all time greats and had some even worse results. Indeed the mid 80s is a good illustration of how a few great players isn't enough if the structure, the dynamics and the depth isn't there.

Comment

Excellent point. Well, with Broad, Anderson and Cook, you have three statistical superheroes, and Root and Stokes should be leading players of this generation. That said, I predict Root will retire with a batting average below Kevin Pietersen’s.

The glue is entirely missing from this England team. Bring back Nick Compton.
                      Last edited by diggedy derek; 26-05-2018, 14:04.

Comment

Stokes goes with an abysmal shot - only question now is whether it finishes today. Joss Buttler is now looking like the answer to the wrpng problem.

Why doesn’t Trevor Bayliss get his coat?

Comment

Ireland's display not looking so shabby after all.

Comment

Root's gone, and England's last chance with him. An innings defeat could well be on the cards here.

110/6

Comment

Looking for a parallel? Headingley 1987, a peashooter England attack outgunned by Imran and Wasim:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/1...-england-1987/

In answer to "England's worst team since...", probably the home series v NZ in 1999 when they were officially bottom. But even there, player v player 1999 might be stronger. It definitely is in batting but very poor in bowling:

http://static.espncricinfo.com/db/AR...G1999_AVS.html

Atherton, Hussain, Butcher, Thorpe and Stewart would walk into the 2018 side but the bowlers...?
                              Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 26-05-2018, 15:27.

Comment

It's quite similar to the Ireland match in fact.

Comment

Isnt Dom Bess a stadium in Ukraine?

Comment

Which reminds me, nice to see this join the flags of the other test playing nations when I was there on the opening day :

Afghanistan’s must have been down the other end of the stand.
                                    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 26-05-2018, 17:42.

Comment

Decent stand from Bess and Buttler so far... getting them to the end of the day was key. Pakistan will have to bat again, and a couple of good sessions tomorrow could even set up a decent contest for the chase.

Comment

Last four skittled for six runs, but Jimmy's taken Azhar early

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                          Which reminds me, nice to see this join the flags of the other test playing nations when I was there on the opening day

Taffghanistan’s must have been down the other end of the stand
                                          Aye, with all the other Counties

Comment

Ha ha. Sorry, didn’t realise the issues there - stupid of me.

Still, Ireland are clearly better than England based on the relative difficulty they caused Pakistan. I’d imagine a Welsh team might cause them more trouble too.

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post
                                              Several is pushing it I'd say.

Anderson and Cook, probably Broad, Root with the potential.

The mid 80s probably included a similar number of all time greats and had some even worse results. Indeed the mid 80s is a good illustration of how a few great players isn't enough if the structure, the dynamics and the depth isn't there.
                                              I'd also say that the great England players get drained of confidence in a similar way to those in the the football team. Gower, Gooch, Cook and Root all similar in that respect. Flintoff and KP, by comparison, only played one series where the wheels came off (2006-07 Ashes) so they were playing in a confident set-up most of the time when at their peaks.

On the bowling side, the sheer fatigue of carrying a poor attack has to affect Jimmy as it affected Botham. I'm not sure Broad is a great player as opposed to a player who had several great matches (Flintoff is also in that category).

Comment

https://twitter.com/swildecricket/status/1000701386420518913?s=21

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                                  Ha ha. Sorry, didn’t realise the issues there - stupid of me.

Still, Ireland are clearly better than England based on the relative difficulty they caused Pakistan. I’d imagine a Welsh team might cause them more trouble too.
                                                  Me and some mates down the park would cause Pakistan more trouble than England this weekend.

Comment

Stoneman dropped and replaced by Keaton Jennings, is that his test career over?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X