Parents v children in sport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parents v children in sport

Today, at professional snooker's tour qualifiers, former world top 20 player Barry Pinches plays a match to regain his Tour Card ... against his 17-year-old son Luke. He admits he isn't happy about the draw and is not looking forward to it - defeat for Luke would set his young career back at least a year.

Any other examples of fathers playing sons or mothers playing daughters in sport?

Not exactly playing, but Shakhtar Donetsk vs Rapid Bucharest in the 2005-06 UEFA Cup . The former managed by Mircea Lucescu, the latter by his son Razvan

Comment

I know that a lad I was at school with - Jamie Mackay - and his brother Nicky, both became flat jockeys and their father's (Alan) career overlapped with theirs. I don't know if either of them ever raced against him though and have no idea how to trawl old racing statistics. If it happened it would've been sometime around 2000-2005 I guess. Sadly, I read that Alan had a bad fall riding out on the Newmarket gallops last autumn and is now paralysed from the neck down.

Comment

There's already a father/son combo on the snooker tour - Peter and Oliver Lines. They've never met in competition, although came within a match of doing so at last year's UK Championship when Oliver lost 6-4 to Mark Allen who went on to beat Peter in the next round. (There may have been other near misses too but I can't be arsed to wade through drawsheets to find out)

Incidentally the World Snooker qualifiers feature three separate tournaments, so whichever of the Pinches loses will get two further attempts to win a tour card. They're quite entertaining as an event for the sheer mix and range of players involved - familiar names dropping off the tour (Craig Steadman, David Grace, Sam Baird, Mitchell Mann), old names trying to make a comeback (Barry Pinches, Jamie Cope, Dechawat Poomjaeng), promising youngsters (Sean Maddocks, Jackson Page, Tyler Rees), the top women (Reanne Evans, Ng On Yee), blokes from down the club and "what are they doing there" names (Corey Deuel)

Comment

I thought this was going to be about OTFers playing their offspring. Or parent for that matter.

I remember (vividly) a parents v boys cricket match in my son's final year of primary (so he'd have been 11). We were already playing some pretty competitive "matches" at local nets using our own rules and I knew he was a decent player compared to me. But this was parents v boys - not serious.

I was bowling and he came in to face his first ball. I thought "I'll just bowl a bog-standard straight medium pace ball". Sure enough, middle stump.

He walked off failing to fight back tears, and I wanted the ground to swallow me up. Still feel bad about it. Must tell him again when I see him at the weekend. He's nearly 27.

Comment

Working...
          X