It Was Thirty Years Ago Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by N est à? View Post
    Ironic that the most 'magic of the cup, eh?' FA cup of our era was won by a club financially doping itself to destruction.

Overall, I'd still rather their experience of the last ten years than Cardiff's.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
      I can remember Laurie Sanchez saying afterwards that his unemployed brother had a tenner on him to score the first goal
      It's "Lawrie Sanchez", not "Laurie Sanchez".

Comment

You're not the only one thinking about the FA Cup from ten years ago Ray, although my thoughts peaked a few weeks ago.

If Kayode Odejayi had got his shot on target...

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
          It's "Lawrie Sanchez", not "Laurie Sanchez".
          Do you need to sit down?

Comment

The one from ten years ago is the one that got away for the Boro and a major staging post in our (relative) decline.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
              Do you need to sit down?
              Look after the little things in life and the big things look after themselves.

Comment

Fnarr.

Comment

It's not the FA Cup, rather the FA Trophy, but this ticket is 20 years old today:

My team, Cheltenham, made their first ever appearance at Wembley, beating Southport 1-0. For a 13 year old me it was the greatest day ever and, to be honest, despite all of our (relative) success since, it still ranks in my top 3 days as a Cheltenham fan.

Comment

Lovely that you've got the view of the Twin Towers on the ticket there Simon. I miss the old Wembley stadium.

Comment

Only £8 to get in as well - my soon to be 12 year old son will likely cost me £7 a game at Whaddon Road next season.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                        Lovely that you've got the view of the Twin Towers on the ticket there Simon. I miss the old Wembley stadium.
                        It was a pretty appalling place to watch football. I’m not a particular fan of it’s replacement but at least you can see the game from all the seats in the stadium.

Comment

No, I realise it's just nostalgia talking Ray. I don't deny that the matchgoing experience (if you'll pardon the egregiously modern-football phrase) is better nowadays at new Wembley, but it's as an icon of the game that I miss the old one. But then, the whole era where the Road to Wembley and the Cup Final were such a big deal is gone with it.

Comment

To a 13 year old me, I remember being massively disappointed when I got into the stadium. All around outside you were just in awe of this behemoth of a stadium - walked out to my seat and it suddenly seemed very small. Not this massive ground you saw on TV.

That being said, I went to the new Wembley 6 years ago and I was massively underwhelmed again. My view wasn't particularly good either.

Comment

I was amazed how small the Olympic Stadium seemed inside when I went there for the World Athletics Championships last August. I don't know if it seems any different during West Ham matches, mind.

Comment

Originally posted by N est à? View Post
                                Ironic that the most 'magic of the cup, eh?' FA cup of our era was won by a club financially doping itself to destruction.
                                Surely Wigan beating Man City trumped it?

Comment

Eh, maybe. I just wanted to get a jab in on Portsmouth

Comment

I think that Magic of the Cup claim holds for 2008. Barnsley beating Liverpool (away) and Chelsea in consecutive rounds. Portsmouth winning at Man United. The first Semi-Final line-up in 100 years that contain just one top flight side. Chasetown from, I think, the eighth tier reaching the third round and giving Cardiff a decent game. Havant & Waterlooville doing similar in R4 at Liverpool after beating Swansea in R3. It was the most open FA Cup we are likely to see. It's just a shame the last three games were all rather dull, and the eventual winners can be reasonably described as Nesta did.

Comment

The 2008 final was notable in our house. When they played the national anthems, Mrs Thistle crossly asked "Why are they booing our national anthem?" That's when I knew she had assimilated.

Her uncle has not forgiven her betrayal. He was horrified that she supported Wales against England during Euro 2016.

Comment

I was amazed how small the Olympic Stadium seemed inside when I went there for the World Athletics Championships last August. I don't know if it seems any different during West Ham matches, mind.
                                        They substantially reduced the capacity after the Olympics - took a whole tier off I think. It went from over 80,000 to under 60,000. Despite knowing the Worlds would be back five years later.

Comment

The capacity has been reduced to 66,000 for athletics and 57,000 in the “ball game” set up that West Ham use.

This hasn’t been done by removing a tier, though the original plan was to take the (initially temporary) top tier off completely to leave a 20,000 athletics/multi-purpose stadium. What happened after West Ham became permanent tenants was that that top tier was kept but modified and had a new roof added while the bottom tier was effectively replaced.

The footprint and superstructure of the stadium isn’t smaller but the alterations above have reduced capacity due to sightlines and egress changes as well as executive boxes being added in.
                                          Last edited by Ray de Galles; 25-06-2018, 13:24.

Comment

Originally posted by Felicity, I guess so View Post
                                            Surely Wigan beating Man City trumped it?
                                            Sunderland in 1973 trumps all in my lifetime...

Comment

As a single game I'll agree.

But Barnsley* beat two of that year's Champions League semi finalists. Barnsley! Add that to everything else mentioned, and it has to be 2008.

*Not biased one little bit. Not a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                                The capacity has been reduced to 66,000 for athletics and 57,000 in the “ball game” set up that West Ham use.
                                                This hasn’t been done by removing a tier, though the original plan was to take the (initially temporary) top tier off completely to leave a 20,000 athletics/multi-purpose stadium. What happened after West Ham became permanent tenants was that that top tier was kept but modified and had a new roof added while the bottom tier was effectively replaced.
                                                The footprint and superstructure of the stadium isn’t smaller but the alterations above have reduced capacity due to sightlines and egress changes alas well as executive boxes being added in.
                                                Ah, thanks for the clarification Ray. I actually merely meant to say I found the stadium felt surprisingly small from one side to the other, certainly when I went down to almost trackside for a bit before the stands really started filling up. But yes, it did feel 'lower' as well. It took me a while to work out why the floodlights seemed wrong somehow, until I twigged they've been dropped down below the line of the roof and inverted, I believe, compared with how they looked during the Olympics – i.e. the triangles now point downwards rather than upwards.

I think we might have gone to the Worlds on the same day – I seem to recall it was you who was musing some time beforehand about the possibility of going to watch Hackney Wick v Long Melford at the Old Spotted Dog ground nearby in the FA Cup preliminary qualifying rounds that afternoon (August 5th), or am I getting confused? I was thinking about strolling up there for that game myself, but in the event it took so long to get out of the Olympic London Stadium after the morning athletics session there was no chance to make it up there before kickoff.
                                                Last edited by Various Artist; 22-05-2018, 23:00.

Comment

Thirty years ago today :

Comment

I think we might have gone to the Worlds on the same day – I seem to recall it was you who was musing some time beforehand about the possibility of going to watch Hackney Wick v Long Melford at the Old Spotted Dog ground nearby in the FA Cup preliminary qualifying rounds that afternoon (August 5th), or am I getting confused? I was thinking about strolling up there for that game myself, but in the event it took so long to get out of the Olympic London Stadium after the morning athletics session there was no chance to make it up there before kickoff.
                                                    Only just seen this. I was there for every one of the ten evening sessions and did go to the Hackney Wick cup tie (coincidentally they move to the old warm-up track/community ground right next to the Olympic Stadium this coming season) so we certainly were at the same night, Men's 100m Final wasn't it?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X