Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who should stay? Who should go? 2018 edition.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, but he was our nutter. He's in Tunisia's provisional squad so I might watch Eng-Tun after all. he's a possible twatball goldmine, but he also scores headers

Comment

If OTF ever records a charity album, I'd like to have a crack at writing lyrics for "Twatball Goldmine".

It would fit the tune for 'The Final Countdown'.

"He's a twatball goldmine" dadadadaaa dadadadadaaa

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

Players offered new contracts:

Dean Parrett – really hopes he stays as his three month injury absence cost the side this season, perhaps the most dynamic midfielder at the club

Bugger, he's signed for Gillingham. I mean...Gillingham?!

Comment

Shrewsbury retained list

Out of Contact Players Offered New Deals:
          Craig MacGillivray
          Junior Brown
          Abu Ogogo
          Lenell John-Lewis

Craig is a decent keeper - I hope he stays. Junior hasn't come back from a knee injury yet so not sure why he's been offered a contract, but it is probably the decent thing to do. Abu finished the season injured and his absence contributed to the two Wembley failures. I don't know why "The Shop" has been offered a new contract as he's barely featured. But the club has a striker shortage.

Out of Contract Players with Extensions:
          Arthur Gnahoua
          Alex Rodman

The contract extensions triggered automatically. Rodman is getting on a bit, but a decent player.

Out of Contract Players Released:
          Shaun Rowley
          Joe Riley
          A-Jay Leitch-Smith

Seems harsh on Riley as he had some decent spells in the side.

Currently Under Contract:
          Cameron Gregory - new academy pro
          Mat Sadler - club captain
          Omar Beckles - league one team of the year and apparently attracting interest
          James Bolton
          Luke Hendrie - barely featured
          Zak Jules - barely featured
          Aristote Nsiala - attracting interest apparently
          Ryan Sears - youth product
          Christos Shelis - youth product
          Shaun Whalley
          Bryn Morris
          Sam Jones
          Jon Nolan
          Abo Eisa - signed from Wealdstone last season and looked lively when he played
          George Hughes - new youth product
          Ryan Barnett- new youth product
          John McAtee - new youth product
          Stefan Payne - top scorer last season although reduced to super sub role towards the end

Comment

Originally posted by JM Footzee View Post
            Watford have only got one first-teamer out of contract - Miguel Britos is the oldest (33 in July) of a bloated, ageing centre-back pool that was put together for a 3-5-2 formation we're not currently playing. He has been prone to the occasional slip-up since arriving three years ago and hasn't got back in Gracia's team since returning from an injury that kept him out for several months, so I suspect he'll depart.
            We've given him a year extension. And we've also signed 18-year-old England under-19 international Ben Wilmot from Stevenage and have talked him up as a first-team player, so that takes our senior centre-back contingent up to eight (not including loanee Molla Wague, who I assume is leaving). And Gracia, who I'd guess is staying because otherwise we'd have got rid of him by now, seems to prefer playing two at the back.

Among the development side, I suspect UK recruitment director Andy Scott, who was recruited from Brentford in November, might not be too impressed with the players who've come through the academy and is having a shake-up (he's already announced plans for an extra B team like Brentford have). They've announced we're releasing seven under-23s (only one of whom, Carl Stewart, got a few fleeting minutes in the first team) and five of the seven second-year scholars (Harry Forster is the only player to get a deal, while the status of Reece Stray is yet to be clarified).
            Stray's gone, as is Yazid Kaikay, a late addition to that year-group I'd entirely forgotten about.

Four have unclear contract situations - Charlie Rowan and Brandon Mason both failed to break into the teams at Accrington and Dundee United after arriving on loan in January (the former got no minutes whatsoever), while Sam Howes and Harvey Bradbury (son of Lee), both of whom joined last summer from other clubs, seem to have had reasonable loan spells in the lower-leagues. More positively, three of the current first-year scholars already have professional deals, although, again, two of them were late summer 2017 additions to the original intake (I did not plan to write this much on the kids, sorry).
            Rowan and Mason have both been released, nothing's been said about Howes and Bradbury but given this second round of departures was labelled as the club's released list they're presumably staying. There's also been a development on one of the first-years with pro deals - turns out he was a late addition to the second-year, joining half-way through the scholarship! Anyway, the club now only have 11 under-23 players on the books, four of whom came through other academies. I know 11 is still quite a lot, but it's probably small by Premier League standards and there's been a significant cull.

Comment

Originally posted by dogbeak View Post
              out of contract
              but i’d be remarkably calm if we got shot of a load of these people.
              lo and behold, aside from fucking off haidara, gamez, and good, we've released eighteen players from the u23s. and the academy has released a kurt(is) russell, which is a shame for fans of john carpenter.

and all the while still no word on what is happening with beardsley.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                Shrewsbury retained list

Out of Contact Players Offered New Deals:
                Craig MacGillivray gone
                Junior Brown gone
                Abu Ogogo allegedly going
                Lenell John-Lewis

Out of Contract Players with Extensions:
                Arthur Gnahoua
                Alex Rodman allegedly going

Currently Under Contract:
                Mat Sadler - club captain
                Omar Beckles allegedly going
                James Bolton
                Luke Hendrie - barely featured
                Zak Jules - barely featured
                Aristote Nsiala - attracting interest apparently apparently going
                Shaun Whalley
                Bryn Morris
                Sam Jones
                Jon Nolan going
                Abo Eisa - signed from Wealdstone last season and looked lively when he played
                Stefan Payne - top scorer last season although reduced to super sub role towards the end
                So having removed the kids, the gone and the going, we're left with 4 of last year's first team, one of whom played because Agogo had a long-term injury. So 3. Mind, the first team looked shagged out by April, so at least the youngsters might run about about a bit. I always feel it won't be a proper August unless I'm squinting into the sun and asking Sandra behind me who the fuck number 26 is.

Comment

I thought a similar thread had already been started...? Never mind.

Been quiet so far, probably till Schteve has had good look at everyone.

Gone:

James Perch, Jay Emanuel Thomas, Jamie Mackie, Nedum Onuoha, and (almost certainly) Jack Robinson.

Plus a bunch of kids from the academy.

Ned will be be the big miss. Team captain and ultra-reliable CB, he'll be tough to replace. Took a lot of unwarranted abuse from some of our "fans" who, now he's gone, might realise just how important he was.

Comment

Where did you hear Jon Nolan was going, Chris? The Facebook page hasn't melted yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                      Where did you hear Jon Nolan was going, Chris? The Facebook page hasn't melted yet.
                      I don't really do FB.

TBF nothing concrete but I was sharing the assumption most people I know have, that if we can't tempt Junior Brown to stay... I'm not moaning or miserable, it's normal service really. I'm quite optimistic about Askey so long as he manages to get hold of some actual footballers.

Comment

Working...
                      X