Nicknames for groups of players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nicknames for groups of players

I think we can all agree that Coutinho leaving Liverpool was a Very Good Thing, because it put paid to that toe-curling nickname, "The Fab Four". So wrong, so many levels. But anyway, what other (better) labels have been attached to groups of players, and have managed to stick?

Rules (because you people need RULES, dammit!): more than two, but less than a whole team or club. So excluding SAS or Smash n' Grab, minimum of three required.

Wikipedia has a category, but it's mostly teams or squads. And it doesn't even include Everton's Holy Trinity, which would probably be top of my list.

Alternatively, you could exploit OTF's global reach and create your own, so Peter Drury can shout it next season.

I can't get that list to show up for some reason, therefore the ones I'm thinking of (BBC, MSN, Wigan's Three Amigos of the 90s) might already be there. I'll make one up then.

For Wales: Bale, Ramsey and Allen should be known as the WonderBRA - they give us all our oomph and without them, there's not much there.

Comment

There are so many of these in Argentina that I wouldn't know where to begin if the five-man forward line of River Plate's La Máquina weren't such an obvious starting point.

Bit surprised Ma-Gi-Ca (Maradona, Giordano, Careca) isn't on that Wikipedia list. Or rather, I was surprised until I realised the collective didn't have a Wiki page of its own.

Comment

Would the "golden generation" of England players count here? I'm not exactly sure who was included in that.

Comment

Hibs have their "famous five" forward line of the 40s/50s, who helped the club win 3 league titles, a remarkable feat for a non-old-firm team. Two of the five would later become successful managers (Willie Ormond at St.Johnstone and Scotland, and Eddie Turnbull at Hibs themselves) and today there's a stand at Easter Road named after them.

If PPV's still here I have no doubt he could tell us all about Milan's famous Gre-No-Li trio (Swedish strikers Gunnar Gren, Gunnar Nordahl and Niels Liedholm).

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
            Would the "golden generation" of England players count here? I'm not exactly sure who was included in that.
            It's on the list; I had an involuntary snort of laughter when I saw it. West Brom's Three Degrees aren't there, presumably because of the slightly cringey nickname itself rather than any question of their impact as a group.

Comment

Rivaldo, Ronaldo and Ronaldinho were the Three Rs for Brazil circa 2002 weren't they?

Comment

It's a very underpopulated list. Aside from missing modern day ones like BBC or MSN, it doesn't even have the Marvellous/Magnificent/Magical (delete as preferred) Magyars

Comment

Vieira, Henry, Pires - Three Musketeers?

Comment

St. Pauli's forward line in the early 1990s, comprising André Golke, Dirk Zander and Klaus Ottens, was occasionally referred to as the "300-Kilo-Sturm", as all three players were more than a bit tubby.

Also in the 1990s, VfB Stuttgart had the "Magic Triangle" of Fredi Bobic, Giovane Elber and Krassmir Balakow.

I know somebody who refers to HSV midfielders Aaron Hunt and Lewis Holtby as the "Talentfreie Tommys" (both of them have at least one English parent), but I think he's the only person who does. It's a bit unfair, as Hunt's quite skilful. "Terrible Bastards" would be more appropriate, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                      For Wales: Bale, Ramsey and Allen should be known as the WonderBRA - they give us all our oomph and without them, there's not much there.
                      But what about the cups and the support?

Comment

ad hoc the Aranycsapat are in under Golden Team

Shamrock Rovers had a Four Fs forward line in the 1920s, including Bob Fullam, John Joe Flood and the brilliantly nicknamed John Kruger Fagan and Billy Juicy Farrell

Comment

Hmmm, that's a bit weird, though, no? They were never known as the Golden Team in English, that's just a straight translation from the Hungarian. Surely they should be the Aranycsapat or the M-something Magyars?

Comment

Carlisle had a 'crop' of young players who emerged around the same time in the mid 1990s which the local media were fond of calling the 'Brunton Babes'. It would have included Matt Jansen, Rory Delap, Paul Murray and some lesser lights such as Richard Prokas and Darren Edmondson, but I'm not googling it at work to check the exact membership, for fear of unearthing the infamous 'glamour' photoshoot which took place outside Brunton Park a few years later.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                              Vieira, Henry, Pires - Three Musketeers?
                              Was that never used for Vieira, Petit and Anelka? They came first.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                Hmmm, that's a bit weird, though, no? They were never known as the Golden Team in English, that's just a straight translation from the Hungarian. Surely they should be the Aranycsapat or the M-something Magyars?
                                Likewise, Breslau Eleven doesn't have quite the same ring to it as Breslau-Elf.

Comment

Duos are fairly common: e.g. SAS at Blackburn in 1994-95.

Comment

Mancini and Vialli were "I Gemelli del Gol" (the goal twins) at Sampdoria.

Comment

*impatiently taps the sign* tee rex cclearly stated more than 2 players and less than a full team

Comment

The Magic Square French midfield of the mid-80s: Platini, Giresse, Fernández and Tigana

Comment

La Quinta del Buitre

Comment

As ad hoc writes, lots missing from that wiki list, eg The Entertainers.

Re the "Carré Magique" mentioned by gjt.

It’s worth noting that the phrase was first coined in 1951 to describe the Cuissard-Gallice-Bonifaci-Kargu quartet.

It was used again during the 1958 WC about the foursome of Fontaine-Kopa-Vincent-Piantoni (below, playing – sporadically – together at Stade de Reims between 1959 and 1962. Just Fontaine’s series of injuries from the beginning of 1960 put paid to their partnership, they were never the same without "Justo", or a fully-fit version of the great man).

In the mid 1980s, the phrase became standard when referring to the Tigana-Fernández-Giresse-Platini ensemble (with Genghini occasionally replacing Fernández in that list - or Giresse, I can't quite remember precisely).

It was resurrected ten years later for the formidable Lizarazu-Desailly-Thuram-Blanc defensive quadrumvirate (28 matches together between 1996 and 2000, 21 wins and no defeat).

Comment

It's amazing to think the Arsenal back 4 of Dixon, Bould, Adams and Winterburn didn't have a nickname back in the day.

Comment

Are the "Class of 92" on the list?

Comment

They're there as 'Fergie's Fledglings'.

I prefer 'Class of '92' because it sounds more like a cheapo exploitation film.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X