Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most dramatic moments in each sport (potential knockout)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah obviously the context is very important but a dramatic moment is just that - a moment. Aguero or Thomas's goals would be unmemorable outside the context but each were THE dramatic moment.

Comment

I would say it would be defined by dramatic context as well as the actual drama of what happened. So your last minute scuffed winners or misses will trump brilliant moments in the middle of games, unless those moments (like Mansell - Piquet and Decker and Budd mentioned above) are genuinely the most dramatic moment in an event - probably more likely in events not normally notable for dramatic finishes, like middle distance running.

Comment

Football has to be Steve Claridge's winner in the 1995-96 playoff final. Leicester were just preparing to bring on giant klutz keeper Zeljko Kalac for the penalty shootout when Claridge whacked it in from just outside the box. I actually wrote a poem about this moment.

Rallying - Carlos Sainz and Luis Moya have 400 yards to go to the end of the final stage of the final rally of the season when the engine on their Toyota shits itself and hands the world title to Tommi Makinen, already on his way to the airport after an earlier retirement - prompting the famous 'crash helmet through the back window of the Corolla' moment of despair.

Couldn't they have pushed their car the last 400 yards? I know cars are heavy but race drivers are generally quite strong.

Comment

An Anglo-centric view but this must be worth a shout as cricket's peak moment.

There has been no better contest in any sport in my lifetime than that.

Comment

Yeah, this - up to that point my entire experience of the Ashes had been sheer misery, with the sole exception of the Edgbaston test in 1997. That 2005 test was the one that broke the shackles and I don't think I've ever been so nervous as the target ticked down.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
              F1 - I think we should draw the line at actual fatal crashes, but Senna - Prost in 1990?
              How about the 2008 Brazilian GP? Felipe Massa thinking that he had become world champion, only for Hamilton to overtake Timo Glock (whose Toyota was still on dry-weather tyres in the rain) in one of the final corners to score that one extra point he needed to overtake the Brazilian.

edit: argh, Longeared got there first.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicarious Thrillseeker View Post
                Rugby Union: Love that Scotty Gibbs try, but it has to be Gareth Edwards' try for the Barbarians.
                It’s the greatest try ever but it happened two minutes in to a game the Baa-Baas won 23-11 and contributed to them going 17-0 up so I think it lacked the “dramatic” element in this context.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                  It’s the greatest try ever but it happened two minutes in to a game the Baa-Baas won 23-11 and contributed to them going 17-0 up so I think it lacked the “dramatic” element in this context.
                  I agree. In reality, as you mention, apart from our personal involvement in Sunday's game, the Gibbs try is obviously the winner - I literally thought I was going to have a heart attack - but there was something about Sunday's final minutes that reminded me of it. Indeed, I was going to post about it being the most dramatic 32-31 rugby win since the Gibbs try but I forgot, of course, that Porthcawl actually won 33-31. I just knew that we won.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                    I’ve got a feeling we’ve done this before, you know.

Anyway that notwithstanding - obviously, by dint of it’s status as the world’s most exciting sport, speedway possibly has more dramatic moments than any other but this is a stand out one and the race that really got me in to the sport as an adult after faded childhood memories of World of Sport :

Chris Harris’ last to first, final bend pass victory in his home Grand Prix.
                    I knew, form my little experience of watching it, that there would be an incredibly dramatic moment form speedway and was waiting for you to post it. That is incredible. Were you there to watch it?

Comment

No, didn’t make it to a live meeting until five years later. In fact, I saw a video of the race posted by Exiled On Main Street (I can’t remember his screen name then) on OTF a little after the meeting and it piqued my interest to start watching the sport on Sky.
                      Last edited by Ray de Galles; 06-05-2018, 07:46.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
                        Rallying - Carlos Sainz and Luis Moya have 400 yards to go to the end of the final stage of the final rally of the season when the engine on their Toyota shits itself and hands the world title to Tommi Makinen, already on his way to the airport after an earlier retirement - prompting the famous 'crash helmet through the back window of the Corolla' moment of despair.

Couldn't they have pushed their car the last 400 yards? I know cars are heavy but race drivers are generally quite strong.
                        They possibly could have pushed it to the end of the timed stage, but in rallying the actual finish of the event is often a distance away at the host town, which the cars have to reach under their own power along a non competitive road section. This has sometimes led to dubious situations where an expired car is pushed as unobtrusively as possible for a short distance by a team mates car, but there was no chance in this case as the profile of the engine blow-up was too high and the road section was all the way from Margam Park near Port Talbot, to Cheltenham.

Comment

Couple of other cricket ones:-

SA vs Australia World Cup Semi Final 1999
                          Derbyshire vs Northamptonshire Nat West Final 1981
                          Essex vs Nottinghamshire Nat West Final 1985

Comment

Three most dramatic one moments is when Australian Steven Bradbury won the Olympic gold medal in short track/speed skating.
                            You can put everything else to the rest.
                            Three races in a row when he's dead last. He's cruising back there so far behind but all three in front of him fall and he skates forth as number one.
                            Three times.
                            Quarter-final
                            Semifinal
                            Final
                            The Olympic games have never been more beautiful than when that happened.

Comment

In football, nothing can really beat Manchester United beating Bayern Munich on overtime in the CL 1999.
                              Nothing.
                              So far.
                              Regardless of how much you might loathe both sides, that was something spectacular no nation or other club side has done. (Shut up Rogin)
                              You really have to step back, and admire it for what it was.
                              And it was a moment.
                              Two goals within one moment.

Comment

He's right, you know.

Football, bloody hell.

Comment

The first tied test.

The last (8 ball) over of the day, Australia need 7 runs, West Indies 3 wickets. Wes Hall bowling.
                                  First ball clatters Grout on the thigh, but he limps through for a single.
                                  Second ball Benaud is out caught behind trying to hook a 6.
                                  Third ball Meckiff blocks.
                                  Fourth ball Meckiff misses, they run anyway and Hall misses the stumps from about four feet.
                                  Fifth ball Grout hits almost straight up in the air. Hall and Kanhai nearly collide, before Hall spills it. They run one.
                                  Sixth ball Meckiff connects with well. They run two, to tie the score, then Grout is run out by millimetres going for the winning third run
                                  Seventh ball, last man Kline hits the ball straight to Soloman at square leg, they run for it, and Soloman hits the one stump he can.
                                  Tie.

Comment

And ursus is so typically americano up there with his Crosby clip
                                    Typical Americano mentioning Americans in hockey.

But if you want truly most dramatic, then it is when our Swedish hockey team finally broke down the Soviet hockey barrier, that time when Sundin scored the legendary winning goal which clinched us the title and the gold.
                                    This is a most dramatic moment in this particular sport as far as Swedish hockey goes.
                                    And what a way to do it.

Comment

Lillian Board in the second of these two races. She's running the anchor leg in the 4 x 400m relay in the 1969 European Championships in Athens and succeeds in running down the 400 metres Olympic champion right at the tape, setting a new world record for the event in the process. One of the most promising athletes that Britain has ever produced, she would tragically lose her life to cancer a little over a year after this race, at the age of just 22.

Comment

Evening PPV, no third period 5 goal fight backs against Finland to mention then?

Comment

It's too stringent to expect sporting events to change in a few seconds. Although that does happen (a sudden knock-out or a goal against the run of play), much of the greatest drama is watching someone claw back a deficit, bat out a draw for 11 hours or have a prolonged final day meltdown Greg Norman style. Brazil's 7-1 defeat to Germany was not a 'moment' in the Michael Thomas sense but was obviously 'dramatic' and one of those "you'll always remember where you were."

For comparison: the Twin Towers coming down on 9/11 was not a 'moment': when you watch again in real time, it took a while to unfold, but it felt like a 'moment' because time felt like it stood still. JFK's assassination is not just one shot, or two shots even; there's the prologue of the drive and the aftermath of Jackie doing her nut while JFK dies, and of course it wasn't being shown live and his death was not announced until after they'd tried to revive him in hospital.
                                          Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 05-05-2018, 21:20.

Comment

Originally posted by Pietro Paolo Virdis View Post
                                            In football, nothing can really beat Manchester United beating Bayern Munich on overtime in the CL 1999.
                                            Nothing.
                                            So far.
                                            Regardless of how much you might loathe both sides, that was something spectacular no nation or other club side has done. (Shut up Rogin)
                                            You really have to step back, and admire it for what it was.
                                            And it was a moment.
                                            Two goals within one moment.
                                            That wasn’t even the most dramatic moment in football that month, let alone ever.

The afore-mentioned Jimmy Glass’s goal eclipsed it for this context. I think the odds that we will one day see another team win the CL Final with two goals in injury time are dwarfed by those for the likelihood of a goalkeeper scoring a stoppage time goal to keep a team in the league again.

Comment

And one for Mukkalainen

Cross country. Thomas Wassberg the Swede against Juha Mieto the fantastic Finn in the Olympics 1980 Lake Placid.
                                              15 km. Fifteen thousand meters on snow like a madman.
                                              Wassberg beats Mieto with... well...

it's 1/100th of a second.
                                              About one toe over 15000 meters.

Comment

There are so many but these would be my own personal nominations:

Basketball, I would go for two moments. First, the entire sequence that led to Derek Fisher's shot v Spurs in 2004 with 0.4 seconds left on the clock where the Spurs were losing, then looked to have the game won only to lose.... The second another cruel blow for the Spurs with Ray Allen's last gasp 3 pointer in game 6 of the 2013 Finals.

Football, Slippy G falling over v Chelsea in 2014. It's still farking hilarious four years later.

Rugger - Rob Andrew's drop goal in the 1995 RWC that dethroned Australia as world champs. Otherwise, it would be Australia's last gasp try v Ireland at Landsdowne Rd 4 years earlier at the same stage of the RWC.

Comment

Originally posted by Muukalainen View Post
                                                  Evening PPV, no third period 5 goal fight backs against Finland to mention then?
                                                  That wasn't a moment. It was a slaughter.

Comment

Originally posted by Cesar Rodriguez View Post
                                                    Rugger - Rob Andrew's drop goal in the 1995 RWC that dethroned Australia as world champs.
                                                    I was up a ladder, painting the house. Almost fell off when this happened. Did Reading lose a playoff that year too?. I was up the ladder for that as well.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X