Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most dramatic moments in each sport (potential knockout)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most dramatic moments in each sport (potential knockout)

One per sport.

If we get a list of 12 or more, an old fashioned OTF knockout. My starters for ten.

Golf - Larry Mize holing that chip to beat Greg Norman to the 1987 Masters.

Snooker - Dennis Taylor's win over Steve Davis.

F1 - I think we should draw the line at actual fatal crashes, but Senna - Prost in 1990?

NFL - that one where the Buffalo bloke missed the last second field goal?

Tennis - Nadal Federer final set at Wimbledon 2008?

Cycling - surely the Lemond Fignon time trial in 1989

Rallying - Carlos Sainz and Luis Moya have 400 yards to go to the end of the final stage of the final rally of the season when the engine on their Toyota shits itself and hands the world title to Tommi Makinen, already on his way to the airport after an earlier retirement - prompting the famous 'crash helmet through the back window of the Corolla' moment of despair.

Comment

Rugby League - 1968 Challenge Cup final and Don Fox's last second kick to win the trophy for Wakefield against Leeds in the watersplash final.

Comment

Cycling - agree. Snooker - yes (or should I say "Nooo"

Formula one - the closing laps of the 2008 Brazilian Grand Prix when it rained, set off a strategy dilemma and Hamilton won the championship on the penultimate corner of the last lap.

Comment

Devon Loch, 1956?

Comment

Le Mans 2016 - Toyota #5, leading the race, comes to a standstill after 23 hours and 56 minutes.
            https://youtu.be/d4gFYO5uAWg

Comment

Baseball - The Giants Win the Pennant!

NFL - The Immaculate Reception (Buffalo has enough pain)

Basketball - Laettner vs Kentucky

Ice Hockey - Crosby’s Golden Goal

Football - Aguerrohhhh!

Comment

Rugby Union - Porthcawl are playing Pembroke in the WRU National Bowl final (for amatuer teams) at the Millennium Stadium. Porthcawl have lost a 27-5 lead as Pembroke deservedly pull it back to 31-30 with 5 minutes to go. With two minutes to go, Porthcawl are on the attack and it comes back to a player who chooses to try and attempt a drop goal. He is not set up for it and misses. He is virtually in tears and his mates are calling him a wanker. As this happens, the Porthcawl fly half goes down with cramp. From the Pembroke kick out, the Porthcawl failed drop-goal-kicker receives it beautifully and sets up a great passing movement (which involves the crippled fly half in a stationary position), during which a penalty is given for a high tackle. After the move breaks down, it is brought back to the penalty. The clock is now red. The fly-half steps up to take the penalty. Of course, he doesn't step up; he limps up as he is the guy with cramp. It is the last kick of the match and this amateur player with cramp has to kick between the posts....and he does. Mayhem.

Why this is special is because, firstly, my Dad played for Porthcawl in the 70s, secondly, we pretty much grew up in Porthcawl rugby club and, thirdly, me, Ray, my Mum and Dad attended this final last Sunday. However, I think that, even objectively, it is one of the most dramatic moments in rugby. Luckily, there is a video online. The whole game is really good but, if you want to see the end, fast forward to 1:44

Football - Bath City are playing local rivals Weston Super Mare. Nothing has happened for 90 minutes and then, in the 91st minute, WSM - the match cancelling bastards - score a goal. From the kick off, Bath City kick it straight into touch and all seasoned Bath City supporters assume that is any points gone. From the throw in, Bath win it back and force a corner. From the corner, there is a header and the WSM captain - who isn't the keeper - does a brilliant save palming the ball over the bar. Quite rightfully he did it and quite rightfully he got sent off. Tyler Harvey, who is about 12, converts the penalty at 93 minutes . A draw is safely in the bag. From the kick off, possession is lost to Bath City, it ends up with Tyler Harvey again who shoots from inside his half and scores a goal on 94 minutes. Again the video is here of all the action
                Last edited by Bored Of Education; 04-05-2018, 22:51.

Comment

F1 for me was Mansell's catch and pass of Piquet after the tyre stop at Silverstone. The feint and pass were consummate from the old grump. 1986 was it? Murray got a bit patriotic afterwards which was too much but that chase, that pass!

Rugby - Wilkinson's drop goal in 2003.

Football - has to be Solskjaer and Sheringham in the 99 European Cup Final.

Comment

Amazing, Bored – just watched the last few minutes of the National Bowl final. Scenes!

Going to watch the second video you linked to now.

Comment

Rogin is going to hate me for this, but other Football contenders:-
                      The 1999 Champions League Final.
                      The 1989 League Championship decider.

Comment

Much as I shared Bored’s tension and joy at Porthcawl’s finale at the weekend (indeed, I shared it on the rugby thread) , Welsh rugby does have a few other moments to rival it for drama. Hard to do justice to them in words so video is needed :

Wales v Scotland 2010 - the most dramatic, frenetic, incident packed end to any 5 or 6N match ever. We start as Scotland have just been reduced to 14 men with five minutes remaining and ten points up.

Wales v England 1999 - “Scott Gibbs, Scott Gibbs is through, Scott Gibbs has scored. What an amazing try!”

Though there are a few words to try and do justice to Gibbs’ try.
                        Last edited by Ray de Galles; 05-05-2018, 00:18.

Comment

Yes, I thought maybe the Michael Thomas goal at anfield. Or what about jimmy glass? On loan goalkeeper scores in the last minute to keep Carlisle in the football league.

Comment

It's got to be the Michael Thomas goal.

Comment

American Football: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHkABO0VwCg needs sound to fully appreciate.

Comment

Great call S. aureus. Yes, the announcers make the action that much more emotional. God Almighty and Friday night lights indeed.
                                Last edited by Cal Alamein; 05-05-2018, 01:34.

Comment

It's High School.

They are just kids.

The fact that Texas believes that is the high point of their lives is a major part of the problem, given current life expectancies.

[a curmudgeonly New Yorker]

Comment

I remember seeing a news report of that game on my local news the next day and I can't remember being so blown away as I, like many, expected to see this gargantuan comeback, but then to witness this insane comeback to be quashed by a kicker who should have squibbed it.

OK, Frank Reich can lay some claim for the best pro comeback, but that Texas High School championship game is still amazing.

Comment

Athletics: Mary Decker's trip by Zola Budd in 1984; Ben Johnson's win then disqualification in 1988

Basketball: USSR pipping USA in 1972 Olympics

Ice hockey: USA beating USSR in 1980 Olympics

Golf: Doug Sanders miss in 1970

Rugby League: Don Fox miss in 1968

Football: Gordon Banks save 1970 or Jim Montgomery one in 1973

Boxing: Rumble in the Jungle 1974; Douglas v Tyson 1989; Clay v Liston 1964

Horse racing: Red Rum catching Crisp in 1973

Comment

I’ve got a feeling we’ve done this before, you know.

Anyway that notwithstanding - obviously, by dint of it’s status as the world’s most exciting sport, speedway possibly has more dramatic moments than any other but this is a stand out one and the race that really got me in to the sport as an adult after faded childhood memories of World of Sport :

Chris Harris’ last to first, final bend pass victory in his home Grand Prix.

Comment

I wish to clarify the use of the word "moment" in the title. Some of the things mentioned above clearly fit into the category of dramatic moments. Some don't. Things illustrated with three minute you tube clips are not "moments". The entirety of USA vs USSR in 1980 is not a moment. And so on

Comment

How about Watford vs Leicester? Maybe not quite as dramatic as the Arsenal winner at Liverpool though.

Comment

Rugby Union: Love that Scotty Gibbs try, but it has to be Gareth Edwards' try for the Barbarians.

Footy: Baggio's World Cup final penalty miss.

Cricket: Gatting bowled Warne, Old Trafford 1993
                                              Last edited by Vicarious Thrillseeker; 05-05-2018, 09:23.

Comment

Gaelic football (look away now Diable Rouge) has to be the 1982 All Ireland final, Kerry were going for 5 in a row which had never been done in football or hurling and were ahead by 0.17 to 0.15 against Offaly. With seconds to go Offaly throw a long ball into the Kerry goalmouth,substitute Seamus Darby (uncle of golfer Shane Lowry) catches,turns and scores a belter of a goal with his only touch of the game to win it by a point and stop history being made

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                                  I wish to clarify the use of the word "moment" in the title. Some of the things mentioned above clearly fit into the category of dramatic moments. Some don't. Things illustrated with three minute you tube clips are not "moments". The entirety of USA vs USSR in 1980 is not a moment. And so on
                                                  Interesting point, I guess there's the moment and the context of the moment. So looking at the Le Mans one, the context is someone desperately trying to keep it together the end of a grueling race but the moment is the car coming to a stop and being passed on the final lap.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X