Best Closing Music in TV Shows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Closing Music in TV Shows

The Sweeney's melancholic credits win this for me but what are the others? Usually the intro is just repeated but somehow it becomes sadder, like the last world snooker closer on a Bank Holiday Monday or Grandstand finishing and the start of Monday morning dread kicks in over Basil Brush or Wonder Woman.

At 6pm or so on a Saturday evening? Blimey, those are near-Gothic levels of 'dread'.

Perhaps it's because I used to have to attend school on a Saturday morning, but I was just about getting geared up by then...

Comment

The Incredible Hulk had quite a poignant closing theme, far removed from the rage of the opening titles.

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
      The Sweeney's melancholic credits win this for me but what are the others? Usually the intro is just repeated but somehow it becomes sadder, like the last world snooker closer on a Bank Holiday Monday or Grandstand finishing and the start of Monday morning dread kicks in over Basil Brush or Wonder Woman.
      The Grandstand closing credits were great too. Much missed.
      Last edited by Arturo; 29-04-2018, 10:09.

Comment

Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads?

Dad's Army - but only in conjunction with the advancing platoon.

Comment

One of most interesting, and effective, recent closing songs was You'll Never Leave Harlan Alive in Justified. A different version ended each season, so here's Nick Page and Ruby Friedman with their treatment on the final show.

Comment

Wow, this thread hit the ground running; The Sweeney and The Incredible Hulk were my immediate thoughts. The moodier instrumental take on the Cheers theme was good too.

The closing run through the Grandstand theme, particularly in winter when it would already be dark outside, was so freighted with emotion that it might as well have been performed by Joy Division.

Comment

Until the beginning of the decade, I really liked the closing theme to Jim'll Fix It, but that's totally fucked now for obvious reasons.

I still love the end credits of Jamie and the Magic torch. It begins in a similar vein to the opener, but then fades quietly back into night time with appropriate background effects (such as the owl twit twooing) Lovely.

Comment

Closing theme of Grandstand also depends on whether your team won or lost.

Am I the only person whose Monday morning dread started at 5.15 on Saturday? It was during a phase when I was being bullied and I already hated Sundays because of the vacuum of activities. Obviously the question does not apply if you were reasonably content at school (or at least not worried about physical and verbally abusive threats) and you had a family sufficiently functional that you had meaningful Sunday family activities rather than just watching your dad doing time-filling DIY while you were stuck with the Homework or Songs of Praise non-choice.

re. Incredible Hulk. The sad closer was also odd given it was a Friday night, therefore should be a good time show, as such. I'm fairly sure the schedulers did not realize that the Hulk has a subtext of melancholy. Here's a guy who can lift trucks and he's in torment about it. Imagine it being preceded by Cannon and Ball with probably Play Your Cards Right coming after.
                Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 29-04-2018, 20:46.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                  Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads?
                  Yeah, I was watching a couple of re-runs on some freeview channel last week and found that terribly poignant, not only was it a powerful nostalgia trip back to my childhood but possibly also because it was a Friday night and I found myself sitting in a rather dilapidated Travelodge at a service area on the M6.

Comment

Best bit of Accidental Partridge I've read in a while, that, TRLB.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                      The end of Camberwick Green was a huge downer as a child. It was a combination of the music and the subject of that episode disappearing into the box.

Comment

Yes that was a bit of an emotional roller coaster wasn't it?

Comment

sorry folks.
                          Last edited by Kevin S; 30-04-2018, 13:03. Reason: wrong thread

Comment

Shit. I'm putting all my posts on the wrong tabs today.

edit - sod it, have at you. Catchy and informative closing music here.

Last edited by Kevin S; 30-04-2018, 13:06.

Comment

Crown Court

Comment

The Father Ted music playing over whatever scene is closing out the episode keeps the humour going. That show has lasted pretty well considering its over 20 years old.

Comment

Father Ted's longevity is doubtless in part owing to its being one of the few comedies of the past thirty-or-so years that actually pertains to the rules of sitcom - which always offers a far likelier guarantee of 'classic' status. As well as being brilliantly written and performed, of course. (Peep Show also fits here.)

Quirkier, more self-conscious shows like Spaced, Mighty Boosh or League of Gentlemen are always going to seem more 'zeitgeist', although I'll concede that the latter was sufficiently unique to override this.

Comment

As a weird choice, I'd plump for the animated cartoon series, Courage the Cowardly Dog, merely for the loopy and joyful 35 seconds of manic hoe-down strangeness that ends it.

On a retro note, I'd recommend the old Gerry Anderson 70's stalwart UFO, where the peppy, irresistible Barry Gray intro contrasted with its unearthly, atonal end titles which were cribbed from Gray's score to Anderson's only foray into live-action features, Journey To The Far Side Of The Sun, and which never failed to scare the bejeesus out of me as a young 'un.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                      Father Ted's longevity is doubtless in part owing to its being one of the few comedies of the past thirty-or-so years that actually pertains to the rules of sitcom - which always offers a far likelier guarantee of 'classic' status. As well as being brilliantly written and performed, of course. (Peep Show also fits here.)

Quirkier, more self-conscious shows like Spaced, Mighty Boosh or League of Gentlemen are always going to seem more 'zeitgeist', although I'll concede that the latter was sufficiently unique to override this.
                                      Father Ted has managed to survive, in spite being a sitcom about priests who are moved around to remote parishes because they are "embarrassing" to the hierarchy. That meant something very different within a year of the end of the show. I didn't know that the theme was an actual song, until my dad rang me up one weekend when I was in College, and asked me if I'd seen the Dermot Morgan tribute show on the Late Late? I had better things to be doing at the time, like drinking myself into a puddle and talking joyous nonsense, anyway he told me to listen to the actual song, because it was beautiful.

He wasn't wrong. Apparently most of the people watching the show completely lost it during this song.

Comment

Songs of Love is the only Divine Comedy song that doesn’t make me want to punch yer man. I actually bought the cassette single of Something for The Weekend despite hating it with the intensity of a thousand suns, cos the b-side was that beauty.

Comment

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7o05wDl7IJk

The studio version, with harpsichord break giving it full Father Ted. So beautiful.

Comment

The harpsichord on that version doesn't make me think of Father Ted, but it does give me an unshakeable Stranglers earworm.

Of current shows, Bosch has suitably melancholy end credits music for such an often-downbeat show.
                                            Last edited by blameless; 01-05-2018, 20:29.

Comment

After Hannon goes “take me!” the instrumental break seems very like the show to me. But yeah, accompanying the verses the harpsichord is very Gordon Brown.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                                Songs of Love is the only Divine Comedy song that doesn’t make me want to punch yer man. I actually bought the cassette single of Something for The Weekend despite hating it with the intensity of a thousand suns, cos the b-side was that beauty.
                                                A short album about love is brilliant.

I can kind of see how you might think he was a bit of an eejit, but I quite like him. You have to bear in mind that he's the basically the first Northern Irish Protestant a lot of Irish people of my age encountered in any form, who didn't seem to want a fight. It was Ian Paisley shouting at the Pope, George Best who was a drunken wife beater, and Hurricane Fucking Higgins. I saw them live a couple of times and they were fantastic for a spell.

Comment

Alex Higgins was the Mark E Smith of snooker but.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X