No announcement yet.

The National (Football League) Stadium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah. I think the Chargers are nominally in for a 20 year lease.

A quick look shows that the rent is nominally peppercorn, $1 per year. So I don't actually know what Kroenke gets from the deal, or if he'd be upset about Spanos buggering off elsewhere. Spanos would lose his $650m relocation fee, but I'm not sure that would be a massive hindrance.

Comment

Kroenke gets all "non-football" revenue from the stadium and the revenue from the massive "mixed use" development around the stadium that is thought to be at least partially dependent on two teams playing there.

He needs to keep the Chargers there at least as long as it takes a) for their presence not to be key to the development's success (recall that the development is Kroenke's primary motivation for the entire project) or b) another "anchor" tenant materialises (in the way that concerts proved to be a much better deal for the Barclays Center in Brooklyn than the NY Islanders hockey club, which is why the arena can't wait to be rid of them)

Comment

Kroenke gets all the money from all the other stuff whether the Chargers hang around or not. And I'm not sure the Chargers need to be there for the development to be successful. It was already lined up before the Chargers moved, so it wasn't predicated on having two tenants.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
          Kroenke gets all the money from all the other stuff whether the Chargers hang around or not. And I'm not sure the Chargers need to be there for the development to be successful. It was already lined up before the Chargers moved, so it wasn't predicated on having two tenants.
          Apparently there were loans predicated on two tennants.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...les/757566001/

But I don't think the Chargers will be there forever. It may take five, ten, or 20 years, but I don't see them ever drawing very well there and eventually San Antonio or London or Mexico City or Luna City Alpha or somebody will make an offer they can't refuse.

Of course, attendance in the regular seats are not as important as national TV, sponsorships, and luxury box revenue.

I don't know how the luxury box leases work exactly, but I assume that the companies/plutocrats that lease them would probably only want to lease them for one of the two teams, with the Rams being in higher demand, and/or that the Rams have made sure that they get the majority of revenue from any lease that covers all games. But even with a weaker position there, the Chargers still might make more than they would in San Diego. The kind of people who want to sit in a luxury box are likely to be the kind of people who just want the cache of sitting in a luxury box for an NFL game, regardless of who is playing, and greater LA has more of those kinds of people than San Diego.

Another article I read - in the San Diego paper, I believe - pointed out that Kroenke was instrumental in making sure it was the Chargers and not the Raiders who joined the Rams in LA. He knew the Raiders would actually provide competition because they still have fans in SoCal (and nationwide). The fix was in from the start.

Another possibility is that the Spanos family sells the team to somebody who will rebrand them to try to build a new fanbase of the same kind of people that support the Clippers or the Jets.

Some suggestions:

Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 17-10-2018, 20:19.

Comment

Doh! Of course that's it. Naming rights, sponsorship, distribution deals, and so on are much more valuable with two tenants. I was just being stupid.

Comment

SB, the point is that Kroenke believes that there won’t be as much money from all the other stuff without a secondary tenant. That’s why Dean got the peppercorn rent and that’s the basis for the deal Kroenke sold his lenders on.

Comment

What was the name of the NFL team Ray Donovan was going to get 3% of if Ian McShane and Katie Holmes’ characters did their crooked deal to build a stadium for them in LA?
                Last edited by Ray de Galles; 18-10-2018, 14:59.

Comment

I never got that far in the series.

Comment

Wiki's summary of Season Three doesn't identify the team.

Comment

Khan says he may need Wembley to keep the Jags in Jacksonville.

http://www.espn.com/blog/jacksonvill...uars-viability

Comment

Los Angeles Waves, that was it! There were promotional hats for the team in the show, I recall them looking cool.
                        Last edited by Ray de Galles; 18-10-2018, 14:47.

Comment

Comment

Yes, very redolent of that. Though I've seen a reference to the Waves' colours being blue and yellow so one suspects a deliberate Rams/Chargers reference.

Comment

I'm sure that on a Columbo, the LA team was the Rockets.

Comment

You betcha

Comment

Just starting on ITV3...

Comment

Irrelevant old men scuppered the sale of Wembley says irrelevant old man.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                      Just starting on ITV3...
                                      I'm watching on ITV3+1. There were four channels showing Columbo of one kind or another when I scrolled through the guide.

Anyhow, the red Rockets jackets with yellow lettering are very smart.

Comment

CBS has someone with a very weird, part Australian fake-Mockney accent doing some advertising ident stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                          CBS has someone with a very weird, part Australian fake-Mockney accent doing some advertising ident stuff.
                                          I blame Daphne's brother.

Comment

It’s disappointing that neither of the two LA MLS teams revived California Surf. Or Aztecs.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                              I'm sure that on a Columbo, the LA team was the Rockets.
                                              On The Hour featured the LA Dogs competing against the New York Dogs for the Superbowl (game cancelled due to nobody understanding the rules).

Comment

Anyway, wouldn't moving an NFL team to London be a fucking rubbish idea? From a position of minimal understanding, it appears to have failure written all over it.

Comment

Like any massive business, they insist on growth. It’s pretty much impossible for American football to get any more popular in the US, so they want to start working on Europe. There are logistical issues, but they’ve been working on those for a long time. Games in London can also start at 9 AM ET, allowinf obsessives to watch football for 12 hours on Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by dogbeak View Post
                                                    Anyway, wouldn't moving an NFL team to London be a fucking rubbish idea? From a position of minimal understanding, it appears to have failure written all over it.
                                                    They can sell over 80,000 tickets 3 times a season for 6 different teams. Can they do it 8 or 9 times a season for the same team versus someone else each time?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X