Early Examples of Sampling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early Examples of Sampling

Dexys' 'Burn It Down' starts with snippets of Holidays In The Sun and Rat Race as if recorded from the radio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV6W...x_GRCanQGisx85

Beatles 'I Am The Walrus' has a BBC radio broadcast of King Lear and some unidentified classical music. Not sure about 'Revolution 9' - student demo stuff mostly and of course the announcer going 'Number 9' repeatedly.

There's a ton of recorded stuff on Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, but I think they started before that, and were doing it in the 60s

Comment

Indeed. I haven't heard 'Meddle' for around 30 years but I recall a track that is largely football crowd noise. 'Animals' (a few years later) obviously has farmyard noises, and The Smiths' 'Meat Is Murder' recreates the crime scene, as it were. There is also the sample from The L Shaped Room (IIRC) at the start of The Queen Is Dead, and sampling on their last album and some of Morrissey's Vauxhall and I.

First sample on a No. 1 - crowd noise on 'Geno' (1980)?
      Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 24-04-2018, 11:46.

Comment

Chicago's 25 or 6 to 4 (1970) samples Led Zeppelin's Babe I'm Gonna Leave You in a style that modern listeners would recognise.

Edit: Although, according to Wiki, the band kind of copied it, rather than directly sampling it.
        Last edited by Stumpy Pepys; 24-04-2018, 12:06.

Comment

Walter Ruttmann's Wochenende (1928)?

Comment

Chopin sampled Mozart in his 1827 Variations on "Lŕ ci darem la mano"

Comment

Spirit/Randy California 1977

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                Chopin sampled Mozart in his 1827 Variations on "Lŕ ci darem la mano"
                Spinal Tap too (Listen to the Flower People).

Comment

The Tap also sample Boccerhini's Minuet in Heavy Duty.

Comment

Simon & Garfunkel's "Save the life of my child" from their 1968 Bookends LP includes a sample of the first few bars of their own "the Sound of Silence"

Comment

Also there's a track on The Who's 1973 Quadrophenia LP that ends with a snatch of "The kids are alright" from 1965 on the fade out.

As regards the first sampling on a No. 1 , the best I can do is the sound of the climactic shoot out in Georgie Fame's "Ballad of Bonnie and Clyde" (1968) which presumably was lifted from somewhere.
                      Last edited by wittoner; 24-04-2018, 15:32.

Comment

I just need to be clear, here. Are we talking about sampling *actually using a sampler*? Or - as per most of the above examples - simply lifting other people's ideas using tape loops or actual instruments (the latter being either homages or intellectual copyright infringement, depending on how you look at it).

Comment

I'm not technically minded but I think of "sampling" as lifting something wholesale from another source outside of the track in question i.e. not just copying what someone else has done but taking the original recording and incorporating it into your track.

For example in considering the " first sampling on a no. 1 record" question I discounted the "engine room" noises on Yellow Submarine and the " spaceship " noises on Telstar because I'm pretty sure they were created specifically for those records. Whereas the police sirens/car chase/gunfire on the Georgie Fame song sound like stock library sound effects.

Comment

If sampling includes not just snippets of other songs but also taking recordings from things other than musical instruments and splicing them into music, and I think under most people's description of sampling it would, then pretty well all the work of Delia Derbyshire and the BBC Radiophonic Workshop counts. In this interview Derbyshire says there isn't a single traditional instrument that she and her team used in realising Ron Grainger's Dr. Who theme (the most famous work).
                            Musique concrete goes back even earlier than that, those in a less obviously popular music form than the BBC Radiophonic's work.

Comment

What's going on has all sorts going on in the background.

Comment

Vanilla Fudge's The Beat Goes On (1968) is loaded with samples including Neville Chamberlain, Winston Churchill, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Harry S. Truman, John F. Kennedy and others. There are also partial re-recordings of everyone from The Beatles to Cole Porter
                                Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 25-04-2018, 12:49.

Comment

As some people are being very persnickety about the definition of "sample", I'm not sure that What's Going On counts, given that the spoken word tracks were recorded in the studio along with the music (with the contributors including a couple of Detroit Lions gridiron stars).

The same is true of the spoken word parts (but not the street sounds) in Stevie Wonder's Living for the City.
                                  Last edited by ursus arctos; 25-04-2018, 13:01.

Comment

Just remembered Chris Hill's Renta Santa from 1975.
                                    I wish I hadn't

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
                                      Chicago's 25 or 6 to 4 (1970) samples Led Zeppelin's Babe I'm Gonna Leave You in a style that modern listeners would recognise.

Edit: Although, according to Wiki, the band kind of copied it, rather than directly sampling it.
                                      Their first album Chicago Transit Authority contains Prologue/Someday ((August 29, 1968) it is bracketed by "the whole world's watching" crowd chants from the Democratic Convention.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                        As some people are being very persnickety about the definition of "sample"...
                                        It's surprisingly difficult. I've made sample-based music off-and-on for many years and I'm struggling to come up with a concise and accurate definition. Something like the use of recorded sound in a musical composition or recording, whether or not that sound is further manipulated, looped, treated etc. and however integral or incidental the sample(s) may be to the piece as a whole.

So The Beatles' 'All You Need Is Love', which drops their own 'She Loves You' in as a quote that has no other musical relevance, counts, as does the Doctor Who theme, which as Janik notes is constructed entirely from manipulating tape recordings (a plucked string, white noise and oscillators).

I would say that recreating a musical phrase by playing it is not sampling, but if instead of directly recording yourself doing that on to your track you sampled it (whether with a digital sampler or analogue tape recorder, answerphone, any recording device at all) and put that in then you would be using a sample...
                                        Last edited by delicatemoth; 25-04-2018, 14:02.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                          Indeed. I haven't heard 'Meddle' for around 30 years but I recall a track that is largely football crowd noise.
                                          "Fearless" is the track from Meddle that has the Liverpool crowd singing "You'll Never Walk Alone"

Besides all of the examples mentioned here, let's not forget dub, a whole genre starting in the 60s that was essentially built upon sampling.
                                          Last edited by Incandenza; 25-04-2018, 14:05.

Comment

On Pet Sounds by The Beach Boys:

As the flutes from "Caroline, No" fade away, the melancholic sound of a passing train is heard while dogs wail. The locomotive whistle was sampled off a 1963 effects album called Mister D's Machine ("Train #58, the Owl at Edison, California"), but the barks come from Wilson's own dogs: Banana, a beagle, and Louie, a Weimaraner.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                              Dexys' 'Burn It Down' starts with snippets of Holidays In The Sun and Rat Race as if recorded from the radio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV6W...x_GRCanQGisx85

Beatles 'I Am The Walrus' has a BBC radio broadcast of King Lear and some unidentified classical music. Not sure about 'Revolution 9' - student demo stuff mostly and of course the announcer going 'Number 9' repeatedly.
                                              Isn’t it American Football? “Block that kick!” is what I’ve always heard that as. But it’s a rare occasion indeed before the “take me back where you came from” intro doesn’t lead to a skip. Not half as fast as Savoy Truffle but, that’s pure pish. Revolution No. 9 does sound fairly decent properly tripping. As does the twenties flashback Honey Pie, for purely indulgent acid washed memories. Doubt that’s a universal White Album tripper’s choice like Helter Skelter.

“Take this Brother, May it serve you well” <massive vibrating didgeridoo(?) sounds>
                                              Last edited by Lang Spoon; 25-04-2018, 20:14.

Comment

Come Out by Steve Reich is from 1966, which samples a news report, I think. I discovered that through Madlib and its been sampled numerous times in hip hop and trip hop.

edit - It's Gonna Rain appears to be the year before. Those compositions must have been mind blowing back then.
                                                Last edited by steveeeeeeeee; 25-04-2018, 21:39.

Comment

Savoy Truffle - George complains about not getting enough songs on albums then churns out this shit.

Long Long Long is a gem, though.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X