No announcement yet.

Star players staying on the sinking ship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know about Berbaslug, but I was the younger, rather than the older, child. My cynicism started on the afternoon of 4th June 1976 - the day my sister decided that my present for her on her tenth birthday would be having her kick the shit out of me in front of my mates.

Comment

Suddenly, it all becomes clear . . .

Comment

What Berbaslug said. I mentioned this to my regulars yesterday. Unfortunately, they were all in their "Just Like In The Good Old Days" mode (Uwe Seeler's name came up about 5,000 times) and told me to "make sure the beer's fucking cold next time before you start having opinions about German football".

I suspect there's also a large slice of "I want Koln to get a fee so all these people I know don't get sacked" or "I want the club that helped make me make something out of this too", but that still also runs in parallel with him putting his wage demands on a higher level. What helps him, helps Koln.

Janik, I only had one teddy bear, It wasn't new. It was given to me by my mother's friend who just lost her child to a cot death. It was an early lesson that not everything is what it seems.

Now, How russian was that?

Comment

treibeis wrote: My cynicism started on the afternoon of 4th June 1976 - the day my sister decided that my present for her on her tenth birthday would be having her kick the shit out of me in front of my mates.
          Was really that the worst thing to happen that weekend, given that the following day J.J. Barrie's execrable No Charge knocked Fernando off the number one spot?

The following week saw another change at the top of the charts, and now it is easy to see how a still bruised young treibeis might have found both a sense of identity and an appealing model of masculinity in the swaggering, besmocked figures of The Wurzels.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
            Jonas Hector has signed a new contract at practically relegated FC Köln. Bayern and Dortmund were reportedly expressing keen interest (especially as he was going to cost next to nothing thanks to a relegation clause in his contract) as well as rumours of interest from Liverpool. Instead he fucks the relegation clause by signing a new contract til 2023 which will keep him at the club in the second tier (or at least get the club market value for him if they sell him).

This makes sense from a career earnings perspective. If someone paid 5 million euro for him because of a relegation clause, he would turn up as the cheap german player and get paid very little and receive less respect. Signing this contract means that when someone buys him on the back of the world cup, Koln make out like bandits, and he moves to his new club as the 20-30 million euro player and gets treated accordingly.
            He'd have been able to command a sign-on fee and salary that would give him a share in the 15 million euro savings Bayern or Dortmund would have made. As for respect, does a first-choice Germany player really have to worry about that? Surely it would be clear that he would've come cheaply because of a legality, not because his talent reflects the transfer fee.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
              The following week saw another change at the top of the charts, and now it is easy to see how a still bruised young treibeis might have found both a sense of identity and an appealing model of masculinity in the swaggering, besmocked figures of The Wurzels.
              I can understand why you might think that, but I'd long since been bitten by The Wurzels bug by then.

You metropolitan types don't realise just how massive The Wurzels were in the mid-1970s West Country. That "Thee Can Stick Thee Bromley Contingent Up Thee Little Jack 'Orner" didn't get to number one in summer 1977 was due solely to certain powers-that-be at the BBC fearing that it might have kept the Sex Pistols off the top spot.

Comment

He'd have been able to command a sign-on fee and salary that would give him a share in the 15 million euro savings Bayern or Dortmund would have made. As for respect, does a first-choice Germany player really have to worry about that? Surely it would be clear that he would've come cheaply because of a legality, not because his talent reflects the transfer fee.

Look at how real madrid treated David De Gea.

Comment

Working...
                X