Songs whose title doesn't appear in the lyrics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Songs whose title doesn't appear in the lyrics

Heard E=MC2 by Big Audio Dynamite on the radio earlier, and got me thinking on this. Got be songs that have lyrics, obviously. Big obvious one is Bohemian Rhapsody. Any more?

Dexys Midnight Runners - Thankfully Not Living In Yorkshire It Doesn't Apply from Searching for the Young Soul Rebels

Comment

Bizarre Love Triangle was the first one that came to mind.

10538 Overture I thought might have been another but I Googled the lyrics and they do feature "one-O-five-three-eight". I blame the slightly fuzzy early 70s production for not spotting that one earlier.

Comment

Iris by the Goo Goo Dolls. Not a great song, but it's my daughter's name.

Comment

New Order, Propaganda and Cocteau Twins loom large here.
          Last edited by Auntie Beryl; 23-04-2018, 20:51.

Comment

Van Der Graaf Generator's 'The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other' album has three - 'Whatever Would Robert Have Said', 'Darkness 11/11' and 'After The Flood'.

Comment

Originally posted by Auntie Beryl View Post
              New Order, Propaganda and Cocteau Twins loom large here.
              First one that sprung to my mind was Blue Monday.

White Rabbit includes both 'White' and 'Rabbit' but doesn't pair them up.
              Last edited by Janik; 23-04-2018, 21:06.

Comment

I got a feeling there is a sub-category of songs with an unsung title, but which are on an album that calls itself after a line from the lyrics. However, irritatingly, I can't place what is niggling as existing.

Comment

Lightbulb - Smells Like Teen Spirit on Nevermind!

Comment

There's definitely at least one, and now it's niggling at me. EDIT - more than one then, cos that wasn't what I was trying to remember.

Comment

IFWHITEAMERICATOLDTHETRUTHFORONEDAYITSWORLDWOULDFA LLAPART - Manics
                      Archives of Pain - Manics
                      Married With Children - Oasis
                      Song 2 - Blur
                      Train In Vain - The Clash
                      Paranoid Android - Radiohead
                      A Day In The Life - The Beatles
                      Goldfinger - Ash

edit - I don't know why it's put a space in FALL there; it's not in the editable post.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
                        There's definitely at least one, and now it's niggling at me. EDIT - more than one then, cos that wasn't what I was trying to remember.
                        'Dragnet' by The Fall, the title being from the track 'Before The Moon Falls'.
                        'Almost Killed Me' by The Hold Steady, title from the opening track 'Positive Jam'. Endearingly, they also use the phrase "hold steady" in at least the first two songs, possibly more. I did like them.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                          Paranoid Android - Radiohead
                          That phrase gets spoken by a vocoder type thing as backing vocals, doesn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                            Lightbulb - Smells Like Teen Spirit on Nevermind!
                            Lithium
                            Territorial Pissings
                            Lounge Act

All from Nevermind.

Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge on Seattle
                            Milk It
                            Radio Friendly Unit Shifter
                            Tourette's

All from In Utero.

Comment

I was referring to the line from Smells Like Teen Spirit that runs It's hard to find the time, whatever, nevermind, which is the lyric the album was named after, despite it, nor any other lyric, titling the song it stems from. A double flip, if you like.

Comment

IFWHITEAMERICATOLDTHETRUTHFORONEDAYITSWORLDWOULDFA LLAPART - Manics
                                Hmm. I can't make the space disappear either if I quote you Kev – not even if I edit it:
                                IFWHITEAMERICATOLDTHETRUTHFORONEDAYITSWORLDWOULDFA LL - Manics
                                IFWHITEAMERICATOLDTHETRUTHFORONEDAYITSWORLDWOULDFL APART - Manics
                                Weird. Perhaps the boards just don't like The Holy Bible.
                                Last edited by Various Artist; 23-04-2018, 22:03.

Comment

Lotsa Led Zep songs fit in this group.

Immigrant Song, Black Dog, Kashmir, Achilles Last Stand, and Trampled Under Foot quickly come to mind.

Comment

I was referring to the line from Smells Like Teen Spirit that runs It's hard to find the time, whatever, nevermind, which is the lyric the album was named after, despite it, nor any other lyric, titling the song it stems from. A double flip, if you like.
                                    My apologies, i presumed you were adding Smells Like Teen Spirit to the overall list and had ignored your comment about a sub-category.

Comment

Count me as another for whom New Order/Joy Division were the first thing to spring to mind.

Otherwise, here's a bit of a random sprinkling:
                                      The Ballad of John and Yoko – Beatles
                                      New York Mining Disaster 1941 – Bee Gees
                                      Space Oddity – David Bowie
                                      Tubthumping – Chumbawamba
                                      The Pop Singer's Fear of the Pollen Count – Divine Comedy
                                      Unfinished Sympathy – Massive Attack
                                      Porcelain – Moby
                                      Acquiesce – Oasis
                                      Souvenir – Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark
                                      Disco 2000 – Pulp
                                      Unchained Melody – Righteous Brothers

Odd meta-example: Enjoy The Silence – Depeche Mode. The title doesn't appear in the radio version you'll normally hear – but after the album version ends there's a few seconds of, er, silence, broken by Dave Gahan singing "Enjoy the silence!", followed by a sort of yogic chime; then an uncredited instrumental track kicks in for a minute or two before Policy Of Truth starts.

Comment

I can't think of every lyric off the top of my head, i am impressed if anyone can, but i think Rappers Delight may be an example.

Comment

Beatles:

Tomorrow Never Knows
                                          A Day In The Life

Dylan:
                                          Positively Fourth Street
                                          Rainy Day Women

The Smiths have several, such as, from their best album: Headmaster Ritual, Rusholme Ruffians, Barbarism Begins At Home, Meat Is Murder, Nowhere Fast. And their most famous track: How Soon Is Now?

Comment

I got a feeling there is a sub-category of songs with an unsung title, but which are on an album that calls itself after a line from the lyrics. However, irritatingly, I can't place what is niggling as existing.
                                            Searching for the Young Soul Rebels - line appears in "There There My Dear" from the album of that title.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Search...ng_Soul_Rebels
                                            Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 24-04-2018, 01:31.

Comment

Originally posted by Cal Alamein View Post
                                              Lotsa Led Zep songs fit in this group.
                                              ...Kashmir... quickly come to mind.
                                              As the dust that floats finds you
                                              We're moving through Kashmir

Sorry.

Comment

The Police's Synchronicity II is one that comes to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                                  Searching for the Young Soul Rebels - line appears in "There There My Dear" from the album of that title.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Search...ng_Soul_Rebels
                                                  And for the follow-up, Too-Rye-Ay is a line from Come On Eileen.

Also: Beck's Odelay album title is sung in one of the songs thereon.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X