• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
    which went several posts ago.
    Worryingly, I read the thread too.

Comment

But it just occurred to me, there's another Sid Vicious – giant '90s wrestling bruiser a.k.a. Sid Justice, a.k.a. Sycho Sid, a.k.a. just plain Sid.
      Chiefly remembered alas for a.) botching his lines in a piece to camera, asking the interviewer to cut the taping and start again, only to be reminded he was going out live on TV; b.) nearly ending his career after being told to vary his moveset by WCW management to include an aerial move where he jumped off the ring's top turnbuckle, despite his having serious misgivings due to being 6'9" and 300-odd pounds, and duly landing awkwardly on one leg and gruesomely snapping his tibia and fibula live on pay-per-view; and, most of all, c.) having what appeared to be a permed mullet.

Pleasingly, though, his real name is actually Sid: Sidney Eudy.

Comment

Fabulous player, although he had a bit of a reputation for going down a bit easy (Athletic fans in particular did not view him particularly fondly in that regard). The midfield of him, Xavi and Busquets was ridiculous in terms of never getting the ball off them.

He's in my all-time best 11, although that admittedly is restricted to players I've seen and is heavily skewed in terms of how I felt about the players personally.

Comment

Having not seen too much of him in recent years, how did he perform without Xavi? As good as I feel Iniesta was/is, I always felt that the real strength came from Xavi, and I held a sneaky suspicion that without Xavi, Iniesta was not quite strong enough to carry the midfield by himself. Am I being too harsh?

Having said that, as scratchmonkey says above, that midfield trio were on a completely different level for several years.

Comment

Cyanide Sid Cooper was a British wrestler in the late seventies and early eighties. I know him, he's a Rotherham fan. His real name is Tom...

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
              Worryingly, I read the thread too.
              Happens to us all, Sids. I mean, Sits.

Comment

David "Syd" Lawrence, Ryan "Sid" Sidebottom, Peter "Sid" Siddle, though Aussie great Sid Barnes was a genuine cricketing Sid.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                  Cyanide Sid Cooper was a British wrestler in the late seventies and early eighties. I know him, he's a Rotherham fan. His real name is Tom...
                  Yeah, probably easier to intimidate your opponents as Cyanide Sid than as Tommy Cooper...

Comment

Actually his surname isn't Cooper either...

Comment

...and on top of that, he probably wasn't a genuine wrestler.

Comment

Nah, I saw him wrestle at the Clifton Hall in Rotherham...

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                          But it just occurred to me, there's another Sid Vicious – giant '90s wrestling bruiser a.k.a. Sid Justice, a.k.a. Sycho Sid, a.k.a. just plain Sid.
                          Chiefly remembered alas for a.) botching his lines in a piece to camera, asking the interviewer to cut the taping and start again, only to be reminded he was going out live on TV; b.) nearly ending his career after being told to vary his moveset by WCW management to include an aerial move where he jumped off the ring's top turnbuckle, despite his having serious misgivings due to being 6'9" and 300-odd pounds, and duly landing awkwardly on one leg and gruesomely snapping his tibia and fibula live on pay-per-view; and, most of all, c.) having what appeared to be a permed mullet.

Pleasingly, though, his real name is actually Sid: Sidney Eudy.
                          Originally posted by scratchmonkey View Post
                          Fabulous player, although he had a bit of a reputation for going down a bit easy (Athletic fans in particular did not view him particularly fondly in that regard). The midfield of him, Xavi and Busquets was ridiculous in terms of never getting the ball off them.

He's in my all-time best 11, although that admittedly is restricted to players I've seen and is heavily skewed in terms of how I felt about the players personally.
                          That's the best post combo we've had in a while.

Comment

As a child, I spent far too much time memorising the height, weight and birth dates of footballers.To unwind before going to bed, I'd put the football albums to one side and memorise speedway riders' birth dates instead.

Sidney Sheldrick (Hull, Paisley, Scunthorpe and several other clubs) was born in 1949. I can't remember the exact date, though.

Comment

Sydney Youngblood's called Sydney, although probably not Syd. And his real surname's not Youngblood.

Comment

Originally posted by ooh aah View Post
                                Having not seen too much of him in recent years, how did he perform without Xavi? As good as I feel Iniesta was/is, I always felt that the real strength came from Xavi, and I held a sneaky suspicion that without Xavi, Iniesta was not quite strong enough to carry the midfield by himself. Am I being too harsh?

Having said that, as scratchmonkey says above, that midfield trio were on a completely different level for several years.
                                I think this misses a bit of the point of Iniesta. Iniesta is really really good at linking up with his teammates. It's most of what he does. Xavi was also brilliant at this, so you had two players who were absolutely amazing at this aspect of the game. whoever came after xavi wasn't going to be as good at this, so the overall impact of the two players would be reduced. But that's not a reflection on iniesta, he's still doing his thing. The problem is not-Xavi. Rakitic is a very good player, but he's not Xavi.

Comment

He looks like an image from one of those books I remember as a kid, where there was a small mirror inside the cover and they'd print half a picture.

Comment

I thought it was Hans-Peter Briegel.

Comment

Originally posted by Wouter D View Post
                                      That's the best post combo we've had in a while.
                                      I know, right? Made me laugh too just now. I'd kind of forgotten for a while that this was nominally an 'Iniesta' thread, not a 'Sids/not Sids' one – which is textbook OTF in action.

The fact that Sid's photo looks a bit like a Panini football sticker only adds to the effect.

I'm still trying to fathom Stumpy's post, though. Are you saying that was what you saw when you looked in the little mirror, Stumpy? You must have been an extremely muscular child. Or mulletted one, depending.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                        Nah, I saw him wrestle at the Clifton Hall in Rotherham...
                                        ...which does nothing to disprove my overall point!

Actually, I reckon he looks like one of those 'foreign' villains that would have fought (and lost to) Johnny Cougar in Tiger & Scorcher. And then be discovered to have tried to nick the takings along with his manager.

Comment

No mention of Hissing Sid?

In addition to Sid Barnes, there's Sydney Barnes but I'm not sure anyone called him Syd.

Comment

Working...
                                          X