Iniesta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iniesta

Great piece on Iniesta by Sid Lowe here Andrés Iniesta begins glorious goodbye as an era draws to a close

https://www.theguardian.com/football...y_to_clipboard

https://twitter.com/FCBarcelonaHQ/status/987804738409426946

Comment

What a wonderful photo, and a wonderful player.

Personally, I tend to find Sid Lowe's writing rather florid*–*the strapline for that piece says he belongs to "all of us", or something like that, which is absurdly grand for a bloke who was good at tapping the ball about.

Comment

I always think 'Sid Lowe' should be either a snooker or golf commentator from the 1970s.

That left-hand photo isn't meant to be Iniesta in 2002, is it? He looks about 12 in it. Otherwise he's aged even more rapidly than I thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
          That left-hand photo isn't meant to be Iniesta in 2002, is it? He looks about 12 in it. Otherwise he's aged even more rapidly than I thought.
          That's the centenary kit he's wearing IIRC, dating it to 1999 if that's the case. He'd be about 15.

Comment

He’s receiving the Nike Premier Cup from some guy named Guardiola for leading the U15s to the title in 1999.

The 16 years refers to his tenure with the first team.

Comment

Never met a Sid. Knew an Archibald in primary 2, but some names just seem doomed by time.

Comment

Sid Lowe's real name is Simon.

The only Sid I know is actually a Said.

There are no real Sids anymore. Never were, actually - Sid James was Solomon, Sid Vicious was John, or Simon.

Comment

I won’t sleep right tonight. Not even Sid James. Aye, nor Syd Little neither.
                  Last edited by Lang Spoon; 23-04-2018, 22:05.

Comment

Even Sid the Sexist was really called Rupert.

Iniesta is, on most days, my favourite footballer of all-time, simply because of his precision and movement. He's a role model to kids for how a creative midfield player should strive to play. The medal count does not flatter him; he's as good in that role as anyone I have seen lift a World Cup.

Comment

Hah, that's brilliant trivia jwdd. I'm fairly sure Freddie Mercury called Vicious "Simon Ferocious" in their infamous spat (a worse-for-wear Vicious stumbled into Queen's studio and demanded to know if Mercury was still "bringing ballet to the masses") when recording in adjacent studios in 1977.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                        I always think 'Sid Lowe' should be either a snooker or golf commentator from the 1970s.
                        Sid Waddell crossed with Ted Lowe. Although Waddell really was a Sid AFAIK. How the fuck is Sid Lowe ten years younger than me, ffs?

Another fraudulent Sid is Sid Owen (Eastenders actor), real name David Sutton.
                        Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 23-04-2018, 22:41.

Comment

“If you see Sid, tell him” was certainly fraudulent and not just cos of the name

Comment

Right it's quiz time. Which one of these miserable buggers was known by oppo fans as 'Breastfeeder' due to his supposed gormlessness?

Comment

Yet another: Syd Barrett was Roger Keith Barrett.

Comment

Cyd Charisse's real name was Tula Finklea, if that helps.

Comment

El Cid was called Rodrigo Díaz de Vivar

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                                    Right it's quiz time. Which one of these miserable buggers was known by oppo fans as 'Breastfeeder' due to his supposed gormlessness?

Reyes? (he of the orange bib)

Comment

Originally posted by blameless View Post
                                      Reyes? (he of the orange bib)
                                      Correct

Comment

Just to reverse the trend, Syd Enham changed his name to George Best

Comment

And back again, John Ritchie - Sid Vicious.

Comment

Sid Caesar's first name was Isaac.

Comment

According to a Sesame Street song from 2004, the Cookie Monster believed that his real name was Sid.

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                              And back again, John Ritchie - Sid Vicious.
                                              ...which went several posts ago.

Comment

The only Sid at my school was really a Nigel.

Comment

Sid Snot was really Kenny Everett who was really Maurice Cole.

Pick the bones out of that.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X