Rogin's occasional Southampton based FA Cup semi final quiz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rogin's occasional Southampton based FA Cup semi final quiz

1. In 1900 Southampton played a fellow Southern League team who are now called Millwall. What were their opponents called in 1900?

2. Southampton play Chelsea today, and have played semi finals before at Stamford Bridge. They have met three other opponents before in semi-finals on whose home grounds they also played semi-finals. Name those venues? NB some are former grounds.

3. The last player to score "for" Southampton in a semi-final scored an own goal against them in 2003. This player is still active in League football, having played for Watford, West Brom, Bolton and Birmingham. Name him?

4. In 1976, Southampton (as a second division side) met a third division team in the semi-final. Who were they?

5. In both 1963 and 1986, the players who scored in the semi-final against Southampton scored in the final as well. Name those players?

4 Crystal Palace

Comment

1. Millwall Athletic?

Comment

Is No.1 Millwall Athletic?

Comment

2. I'm 99%sure that they've never played Wednesday in a semi final so that leaves, at a guess, Goodison Park, Villa Park, and maybe Highbury

Comment

2. Highbury, Old Trafford, White Hart Lane?

Maybe Villa Park for WHL

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
              2. I'm 99%sure that they've never played Wednesday in a semi final so that leaves, at a guess, Goodison Park, Villa Park, and maybe Highbury
              I'm going to stand in the 1% camp as I'm pretty sure Wednesday played Southampton in a semi in one of the years we won the thing - probably 1907 but might have been 1896. That said I can't recall the Saints in a semi at Hillsborough (we had the Manchester United one in 76)

5. Herd and Law / Rush and Johnston?

Comment

Checked now and as long as I haven't overlooked one we haven't. I was going to say that probably Southampton wouldn't have played a semi at a northern ground as they always seemed to at least make them roughly equidistant, but then I found that Southampton played Forest at Bramall Lane in 1898, which seems a tad unfair

Comment

Bramall Lane is one of the answers for #2, by the way, as is Crystal Palace (the venue not the team) which is where the replay of the above mentioned match with Forest took place

Comment

3 - Paul Robinson? The left back, that is.

Comment

My Dad would probably like you all to know that Stokes was offside. Thanks for reading.

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
                        My Dad would probably like you all to know that Stokes was offside. Thanks for reading.
                        My brother and your dad would get on great,he's had a 42 year hatred of Southampton thanks to "Bobby fucking Stokes fucking offside fucking goal " as he calls it

Comment

Give the guy a break, he's been dead over twenty years. (He was 'on' anyway.)

How many on here support their dad's team, I wonder? I certainly didn't.

Comment

My Dad's a Man United fan.

Well done everyone, all the right answers up there - Law and Rush were the semi and final scorers, Millwall did used to be Athletic, Highbury, Bramall Lane and Crystal Palace the venues, and Palace the third division team who did used to play at what is now the athletics stadium. Major props to Three Colours Red for getting Paul Robinson, who I'd never heard of - is he really still playing Championship football at 39? Remarkable story if so.

Comment

Indeed, especially after all those years in Neighbours.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                                is he really still playing Championship football at 39? Remarkable story if so.
                                He's retiring at the end of the season apparently so he's got two more games, max. Unless he's injured at the moment...

As a thirty-something, stocky, prematurely grey-haired, 5' 9" bloke who often ended up playing at left back, we're practically peas in a pod.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                                  My brother and your dad would get on great,he's had a 42 year hatred of Southampton thanks to "Bobby fucking Stokes fucking offside fucking goal " as he calls it
                                  There was a TV play about ticketless Manchester United supporters being stuck outside Wembley and following the game on the radio. The roar and name "Bobby Stokes" is greeted by disbelief: "Own goal?".

Unfortunately TV plays, unlike classic serials and other shows, tend to be invisible on the internet. So Google hasn't helped here.

Comment

Working...
                                  X