• Willow the Wisp (i.e. Evil Edna)

Any more examples of this?

Close Encounters?

Comment

Metaphorically:
      Network
      The Man Who Fell To Earth

Comment

At a stretch, maybe the robot form of Cain in Robocop 2?

Comment

Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes

Comment

Condominium
            Threads
            (at a push)

(Non-malevolent TVs in Film and TV:
            The Teletubbies)

Comment

That scene in Clockwork Orange

Comment

Evil Edna haunted my childhood.

Comment

Barry, Terry and other underemployed residents of Brookside Close were kept in a docile and compliant state by the heavy cathode ray manners of The Magic Rabbits.

Comment

Just remembered one of the first David Tennant Dr Who episodes where Maureen Lipman was a malevolent TV / wifi entity. People who watched the show had their faces erased IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                      I can see that as a headline on the cover of one of those gossip magazines. Alongside a photograph of Joe Pasquale.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                        Just remembered one of the first David Tennant Dr Who episodes where Maureen Lipman was a malevolent TV / wifi entity. People who watched the show had their faces erased IIRC.
                        Relatedly, Batman Forever.

Comment

The telly that introduced 'The Thirteen Floor' in 'Scream' comic.

Comment

The telly that sucked in a pre-Simpsons Nancy Cartwright and had her gobbled up by a cartoon alligator in Twilight Zone: The Movie (It'd be easier if you just saw the film instead of me just sounding like a pranny in describing it).

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                              At a stretch, maybe the robot form of Cain in Robocop 2?
                              At an equally big stretch, Zudo the defective Telebug... now there's a show that's never gonna get another home release.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post

Threads
                                (at a push)
                                The only TV I can remember in that is the one that they show "Words and Pictures" on. It's not really malevolent as such.

Comment

Tommy

Comment

Nightmare on Elm Street 3

Comment

Originally posted by sw2bureau View Post
                                      The telly that introduced 'The Thirteen Floor' in 'Scream' comic.
                                      Blimey, Scream comic. Some great artwork on there for a morbid 7-8 year old bairn. Like it was getting you ready for 2000AD.

Did they have some Just Seventeen style photo story, but with a guy in a rubber mask?

Comment

Was the theme of malevolent technology inspired by by the success of Kubrick's '2001' (which has recently turned 50)?

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
                                          The only TV I can remember in that is the one that they show "Words and Pictures" on. It's not really malevolent as such.
                                          Hence my expression 'at a push'. (Although I'll concede that even then, I'm stretching things.)

Comment

The X-Files episode Blood included at least one evil telly among the various appliances turning innocent passers-by into crazed murderers through rubbish LED messages.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                              Good call PT. 'The Idiot's Lantern' is the one, set at the time of the Queen's coronation. Not an episode I've ever had the slightest desire to revisit, I confess.

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                              Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                                              I can see that as a headline on the cover of one of those gossip magazines. Alongside a photograph of Joe Pasquale.
                                              Hahah, I love it. Even as I wrote that previous post, I felt I really ought to add something else to it; yet felt that, no, the power and pathos of that line was enough to stand alone. It does tug at the heartstrings, doesn't it? Perhaps I should contact one of those magazines, the dreadful ones with everything in pink-and-yellow writing on their covers.

In all seriousness, she did genuinely haunt at least my younger brother's dreams. I feel I must've mentioned somewhere on OTF before how he once had one aged about 7, which we both* still remember with amusing clarity: Evil Edna had kidnapped our parents and was holding them captive in a cave accessed underneath the metal staging in our greenhouse, so the two of us obviously had to charge down the garden with our swords to rescue them.

(*He described it to me at the time, I didn't have a hotline to his dreamscape.)

Comment

That’s the third season of Stranger Things sketched out right there. She was pure evil looking but. Can remember nothing else of Terrahawks but the rough looking Bonnie Tyler villain, well scarier than Edna for me. But i did run screaming at any appearance of green man Hulk in the 70s tv show.
                                                Last edited by Lang Spoon; 25-04-2018, 00:15.

Comment

I always had Zelda down as Jo Whiley on a bad day.

A key plot point in Serenity revolves around a TV signal.

Oh fuck! How could I have missed They Live!

Comment

Working...
                                                  X