No announcement yet.

Sky leave Froome for doubt? Giro d'Italia 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tom Dumoulin has already stopped to relieve himself. The man's a force of nature. Some good comedy from one of Israel Cycling Academy's Israeli riders trying and failing to get in the break. Campanaerts also wanted into the break but BMC and Quickstep weren't having it. Stage has already had more interest than I anticipated.

Comment

I hope they don't interpret that as a political statement. We might never see Tom again.

Comment

So, yesterday's stage was great fun, a proper chaotic Giro stage. BMC brought the break back very early so Rohan Dennis could grab intermediate seconds to take pink. Today's was unsurprisingly a real snooze until the last few km. Viviani won both, today's despite Sam Bennett weaving all over the road and almost blocking him off; I'm pretty sure he'd have been relegated if Viviani hadn't just ignored him and breezed imperiously through to victory. He seems very happy at Quickstep, good for him.

Tiz haven't posted up stages 3 & 4 of (men's) Yorkshire, so I can't go on the other cycling thread yet. But Ellen Van Dijk tweeted earlier about how much better the appearance money is than the other races she's ridden this year (600 Euros, as opposed to 20 or so for various classics), so that's pretty decent of them.

Comment

I was rather surprised that they allowed Bennett to keep third.

I assume that they concluded that his antics didn’t change the final result, but he came incredibly close to putting Viviani into the barriers.

Comment

Yeah, I think the decision not to sanction was purely on the basis that Viviani still won. Hopefully a couple of people will have some words with Bennett, because it was definitely reckless riding, surely as bad at least as Sagan at last year's Tour.

Dennis has now won the leader's jersey in all three GTs. I'd love to see him improve his climbing and try to become a proper GC contender, I find him a very likeable rider.
            Last edited by delicatemoth; 06-05-2018, 19:36.

Comment

The paywalled Times has the story of a just-published University of Leiden study that asserts a) that there is a 15+% chance of false positives in the current salbutomol test and b) that salbutamol isn't really helpful for "endurance cyclists".

Non-paywalled report from Cycling News

The UCI considers it to be a re-hashing of previous research that hasn't convinced them, but it is a good indication of why the case is taking so long to resolve.
              Last edited by ursus arctos; 07-05-2018, 12:32.

Comment

Haven't read this thread and am not about to but just dropping this in
                https://bdsmovement.net/news/palesti...hal-repression

Comment

Thanks for posting that.

Comment

Stick that in your pseudoscientific study and smoke it, Sky.

Comment

See RCS are getting their money's worth then.

Comment

Battaglin wins a rather chaotic sprint at Santa Ninfa, with the last 25 km or so of the stage traversing the area devastated by the 1968 Bellice earthquake.

Lopez loses another 40 seconds in the GC after putting himself into the weeks about 7 km from the line.

Comment

Those earthquake towns were eerie tv viewing, the one turned into a landscape sculpture was amazing.

So, yes, guiltily coming out as watching the highlights. Boycotted the apartheid stages and my usual e/w bet on Pozzo didn't get laid, so I donated the amount to ad hoc's charity.

Maybe he'll forgive me...

Comment

I doubt these will make the broadcasts but there were pro-Palestinian demonstrations in Catania - perhaps they will be a feature of these stages, but the police were keeping them well away from the race.

Comment

Well, Mitchelton-Scott have done alright out of Etna.

Comment

Cav, Millar, Wiggins, S Yates.

Not Froome though. Not yet, at least.

Comment

Once again just dropping by with this

https://electronicintifada.net/blogs...d-palestinians

Comment

Indeed, that's the video I've posted above.

Comment

Nice win by Sam Bennett in Praia a Mare as he follows Viviani's wheel and beats him on the line.

Comment

Watching the "highlights" on Quest. Kirby has been particularly annoying today and, on seeing the island of Dino, came out with "Dino, that was Fred Flintstone's pet. Who will be a rock today?"

Comment

I didn’t realise until I watched last night that the Quest highlights are Eurosport coverage. I recorded them cos I knew a nailed-on sprint stage would skip straight to the last 20, so an hour would do. And I had playoff misery to fit in earlier.

Comment

About a dozen Palestinian flags lining the route in Agropoli for the intermediate sprint.

Comment

Magnificent win by Yates on Gran Sasso

Froome loses more than a minute
                                              Last edited by ursus arctos; 13-05-2018, 15:58.

Comment

So, Froome being stripped of his overall victory, then.

Dauphine starts in three weeks time. Rest day tomorrow, so wonder if Sky will pull him out and send him to France instead for his usual Tour build up.

Comment

I wonder what the appearance fee agreement says about that eventuality

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                                    X