Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have video of that launch

Comment

Map of North London, allegedly. Except it's most reminiscent of EastEnders.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
        Someone forgot to put up the wet paint warnings.

Comment

The commentator on SBS here said "And Spurs, sadly, wearing what we are being asked to call 'teal'."

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
            How much guyliner is Kane wearing?

Comment

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1028246404865695745

Comment

Alcohol sponsorship is not so much on the wane, more gone altogether, as the Portman Group have agreed that they will not advertise on sport, doing so because they thought the government might outlaw it.

Comment

That chart would be more interesting (but harder to compile) if it was done by value of sponsorship contract, rather than by number of contracts.

My sense is that gambling firms are clustered among the bottom reaches of the sample.

Comment

Why is it all curvy? The premier league has had the same number of teams in it throughout that period, no?

Comment

Top and bottom curves match (aside from the first couple of years when there were 22 clubs), so the actual height is the same for each year. However I'm pretty sure I'd have been marked done for presenting a graph in this way when I was in school.

Comment

From a few pages back

Gambling is now more mid-table than bottom-feeding, but it remains striking that no gambling firm is paying more than 10 million when the top deals are more than four times that.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                          From a few pages back

Gambling is now more mid-table than bottom-feeding, but it remains striking that no gambling firm is paying more than 10 million when the top deals are more than four times that.
                          The disparity between the 6 big boys and the rest of them is interesting.

Comment

Interesting, yes. Surprising, no... and probably still relatively cheap for that kind of publicity.

And welcome Rey.

Comment

Welcome Rey. Pull up a biscuit.

Also, Burnley managed to end up wearing a mixture of their change and third kits today.

Comment

EFL not bothered by sleeve clashes, it seems.

Comment

Mind you, as I've seen pointed out before, Spurs cause a sleeve clash at Arsenal every season and don't change so perhaps it isn't a 'thing'.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                                    Mind you, as I've seen pointed out before, Spurs cause a sleeve clash at Arsenal every season and don't change so perhaps it isn't a 'thing'.
                                    Arsenal do return the favour as well, tbf.

The only time they changed at WHL was in 1985-86, when Spurs had an all-white home kit. The following season, Spurs changed to navy shorts at home to Arsenal in the league and league cup semi-final second leg and replay.

The Premier League doesn't stipulate that shorts-clashes be alleviated, so there have been some very white NLDs in recent years.

Comment

Can anyone else see what I mean about a violetish tinge to those Ipswich shirts?

Comment

It seems quite prominent on the shoulder of the fellow heading the ball in the photo above.

Comment

Not really GO. Is it just the red on the kits/the seats behind 'bleeding' into the blue, visually?

Thanks Zeb for pointing out that the curves on the graph are essentially cosmetic, but yeah it's a stupid way to present it and needlessly complicates the act of reading data off it.

That chart of shirt sponsorships is indeed fascinating, though. I'm surprised to find each club's annual chest sponsorship income barely covers the price of one player in today's market – even at the £40m-odd rates commanded by the 'big six', considering the prices of the Top, Top Players™ they're competing for.

And welcome indeed Rey. Sorry to see there's been no further posts yet, but hurry up and post another 618 and it'll look great on your profile.

Comment

Yes, it's blue for me too - our boy has gone off to a summer soccer school today wearing it, albeit without the gambling sponsor on the front.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                                              Yes, it's blue for me too - our boy has gone off to a summer soccer school today wearing it, albeit without the gambling sponsor on the front.
                                              On this - the removal of the sponsor for kids, rather than Kevin's boys in particular - are there any instances of a player refusing to wear a particular sponsor on their shirt? I'm thinking through moral, or possibly even religious, objection, in the way that James McLean chooses not to have a poppy subliminated onto his kit.

Comment

Some examples in this post of which the most relevant are Kanoute at Sevilla (gambling) and Pappis Cisse at Newcastle (predatory lending).
                                                Last edited by ursus arctos; 13-08-2018, 12:24.

Comment

Re: Sponsorship. It is rather interesting that the Manchester United sponsorship from Chevy was seen as so outlandish and expensive at the time that its mastermind at the company got fired. It is already now a run-of-the-mill price for a top performing club and probably represents pretty good value relative to some others.

How "Visit Rwanda" got to paying 10 million for Arsenal's sleeve deal and how anyone thought it was a good idea is a whole different world of crazy.

Comment

The Nexen on Man City's sleeve and the Yokohama on Chelsea's shirt are pleasing to see. More tyre-company sponsors, please, like the old Wolves Goodyear kits.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X