No announcement yet.

CONIFA World Cup 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The stream from Enfield now has a series of Turkish language ads along the bottom of the screen, including one for a barber shop.

Comment

https://twitter.com/CONIFAOfficial/s...17826021715968

This is the stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
        The stream from Enfield now has a series of Turkish language ads along the bottom of the screen, including one for a barber shop.

One of them appeared to be for 'Mems Hairdressers' and I wasn't sure if it was misprint or not.

Comment

Comment

Ah, liquid googling - I couldn't find them on my cursory check.

Comment

It should be Mem's, short for Mehmet's.

Comment

https://www.90min.com/posts/6075263-...2018-in-london

A very simple guide but not too bad.

Comment

I'd quibble with the description of Karpatalya as Hungarian diaspora in Ukraine, since "diaspora" suggests they've moved there, rather than lived there for 1000 years and had their borders move around them. That aside, it seems lightweight but fair enough.
                  Last edited by ad hoc; 31-05-2018, 18:42.

Comment

Playing in Ukrainian flag colours suggests they're not very irridentist minded.

Comment

I went to three games yesterday. First up was Székely Land v Tuvalu at Haringey Borough. As ad hoc said, most of the play was in the Tuvalu half. In fact the only goal in the first half came from Tuvalu’s only real attack as they were hit on the break following a corner. Tuvalu tired in the second half and Székely Land ran out 4-0 winners with a Barna Bajkó hat-trick. Székely Land had about 20 supporters who made a din when they scored and I spotted a couple with a Tuvalu flag. Székely Land should do well.

On to Enfield for Northern Cyprus v Karpatalya. What a wonderful stadium to watch football. And there was even real ale. It was supposed to rain but most of the game was played in bright sunshine. Northern Cyprus made up the bulk of the support and the noise but Karpatalya also had a few there. Northern Cyprus took the lead when the linesman ruled that the ball crossed the line during a scramble and seemed to think that the game was theirs by right, but Karpatalya equalised early in the second half. They deserved it as they were the better team. I hope they do well in the competition. And a great national anthem.

Finally I was off to Bromley. I arrived after the opening ceremony started – teams circuited the pitch in varying numbers with their flags. Matabeleland stole the show with their singing and dancing and simple joy at being there. As for the game, hosts Barawa were skilful and dominant and it could easily have been double figures although Tamil Eelam also had their chances. In the end it was 4-0 to Barawa with two penalties which Clattenberg no doubt enjoyed giving.

An enjoyable day with a long-held ambition of seeing more than one match at different grounds on the same day achieved.

Comment

I saw someone in a Kabylia shirt on the tube this morning. At least I think it was Kabylia, there is a chance it might have been Kabylie.

Comment

Ah, was just going to come on and give a report on the final match. I actually thought the scoreline flattered Barawa a little given the balance of play for much of the game but there was no doubt they were the dominant side and deserved winners.

Tamil Eelam played well apart from in both penalty areas, three of the goals coming from mistakes such as the dreadfully hashed clearance from the keeper for the first and the suicidally panicky defending for both penalties. The other goal was either an inspired strike or an outrageous piece of luck from an attempted cross.

In midfield and attack, Tamil Eelam were very useful but always let down by the final pass or shot. They almost scored the goal of the night at 1-0 from a lovely move but hit the crossbar and I think that was a pivotal moment as the penalty for the second goal came a minute or two later. They did fall apart a little after the fourth and Barawa’s superior organisation & strength were apparent throughout but it never felt like a mismatch.

I missed most of the opening ceremony but good to see most of the squads hung around to see at least some of the game (apart from Padania who trooped off as they left the pitch, booooooo) and there was a lovely atmosphere all night.

It was a fantastic kit match up too, Barawa’s colourful London Celtic inspired kit contrasting beautifully with the simplicity of Tamil Eelam’s white and black affair with it’s piece de resistance being the gold Adidas stripes :

Clattenburg was no more than a minor irritation. I presume Paddy Power hired him as a stunt so it was just another gig for him. He didn’t warm up at all on the 3G pitch and promptly fell flat on his arse within minutes. He also managed to be on the same train as me from Bromley South fully suited up (with Louis Vuitton kit bag, natch) within twenty minutes of the final whistle. I hasten to add that I wouldn’t have recognised him then but for some numpty getting a selfie with him.

A good evening though, hoping I make at least one more game in the competition.
                          Last edited by Ray de Galles; 01-06-2018, 12:10.

Comment

I do wish Barawa had kept either of their last two shirt sponsors mind :

Comment

Oh man, I badly want one of thise red sea exotic fish shirts. Not to mention an actual red sea exotic fish.

Comment

https://twitter.com/JustinWalley10/s...77275173056512 The return of Bruce Grobbelaar. I hope I see him play tomorrow, been nearly 20 years since I saw him keep goal for City in a drab 0-0 against Colchester at the Bank. He promptly let 4 in against Wycombe in his next and final game for the club.

I assume the bar at Coles Park will be open tomorrow, though I expect drinking won't be allowed pitch side.
                                Last edited by RobW; 01-06-2018, 11:17.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                  I missed most of the opening ceremony but good to see most of the squads hung around to see at least some of the game (apart from Padania who trooped off as they left the pitch, booooooo) and there was a lovely atmosphere all night.
                                  I entered the ground and found myself in the middle of the queue of teams waiting to get on the pitch, and in the midst of the Padania squad. One of them had a fag on the go.

I may have been a bit hard on Tamil Eelam. They were worth a goal at least.

Originally posted by RobW View Post
                                  I assume the bar at Coles Park will be open tomorrow, though I expect drinking won't be allowed pitch side.
                                  It was open yesterday as were the bars at the other grounds. And drinking is very much allowed pitch side.
                                  Last edited by Capybara; 01-06-2018, 12:07.

Comment

Kabylia look to be using the French spelling on their kits

Comment

i like that Tamil Eelam use the LTTE flag, which aside from using a bullet motif that would send the Daily Mail into paroxysms, is also indistinguishable from a flag with a hole in it held in front of an angry tiger.

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
                                        I entered the ground and found myself in the middle of the queue of teams waiting to get on the pitch, and in the midst of the Padania squad. One of them had a fag on the go.

I may have been a bit hard on Tamil Eelam. They were worth a goal at least.

It was open yesterday as were the bars at the other grounds. And drinking is very much allowed pitch side.
                                        YESH!

Comment

Can anyone work out why, having crammed games in yesterday and doing so again over the weekend, there are none today?

Comment

I was going to ask that.

Might the fact that much of the support will be at services today have something to do with it?

Comment

That's certainly a plausible theory.

Comment

Originally posted by Bizarre Löw Triangle View Post
                                                i like that Tamil Eelam use the LTTE flag, which aside from using a bullet motif that would send the Daily Mail into paroxysms, is also indistinguishable from a flag with a hole in it held in front of an angry tiger.

MGM should use this if they ever wanted to go edgier.

Comment

World Football Cup an alternative to Fifa and a lesson in geopolitics

https://www.theguardian.com/football...y_to_clipboard

Comment

Boloni László was at the Székelyföld Matabeleland match this afternoon apparently. Sounds like there have been some good crowds in general today

Comment

Working...
                                                    X