This charming man -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://mobile.twitter.com/KaptainKu...34033875988480

Too sunwasted to learn how to imbed tweets. But the former of this parish Mr Kulkarni is bang on. More than once ODB came on my stereo all a sudden after a comparatively ok in mixed company wu-tang production, resulting looks of horror. No chance pal. Card marked.

An away from what ODB will do on his lawn to them ho’s and bitches, the best Public Enemy albums are also the most full of embarrassing and downright bullshit bollocks.
    Last edited by Lang Spoon; 20-04-2018, 19:24.

Comment

I always wondered about his "reggae is vile" thing as I don't like reggae and wondered whether it could be seen the same - generalising a massive genre with a reductive phrase. However, there are two difference: Morrisey went out of his way to call it vile whereas I just don't like it - I don't find it vile. Also, as an afterthought, I quite like the reggae bits of Bad Brains as a breather from the manic stuff. Hey, some of my favourite hardcore bands are black.

Anyway, another reason to be a smug Smiths-disliker.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
        his whole kitchen sink fetish
        I had a slight kitchen sink fetish myself just prior to The Smiths emerging, but combined with Merseybeat and Colin MaCinnes' 'Absolute Beginners' and 60s Mod culture.
        Its quite ironic when a lot of imagery at the time was black AND white.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post

"But, ultimately, I don't have very cast iron opinions on black music other than black modern music which I detest."
          In the 80s there was a theory that NME's sales would decrease if there was a black artist on the front. Wether that was an influence of Morrissey's influence on the indie world, I'm not sure, but I remember specifically buying a copy of NME in 86/87 because of a large feature on Trouble Funk, so I never got the 'decreased sales' vibe.
          If anything, if it was a more 'established artist' on the front, I wouldn't buy it then.

Comment

I wonder if Marr could sue Morrissey for loss of earnings, as a guitarist of my acquaintance threatened to do to a lead singer.

If people buy fewer things from the back catalogue it will affect him, then again he wouldn’t have those songs without Mozzer and vice versa.

Comment

The original 'reggae is vile' quote emerged from a questionnaire that all of The Smiths (supposedly) answered ahead of the Meat is Murder tour - so I don't know whether 'went out of his way' is strictly accurate here.

It's a moot point, though. He's still a Grade One tw*t-and-a-half now.

Comment

Originally posted by Serge Gainsbourg View Post
                In the 80s there was a theory that NME's sales would decrease if there was a black artist on the front. Wether that was an influence of Morrissey's influence on the indie world, I'm not sure, but I remember specifically buying a copy of NME in 86/87 because of a large feature on Trouble Funk, so I never got the 'decreased sales' vibe.
                If anything, if it was a more 'established artist' on the front, I wouldn't buy it then.

I think Taylor confirmed on Chart Music that the MM would drop in sales if they had a rare black artist cover. And green ink letters flowing in. At least before Twitter the rest of us didn’t have to hear the dicks. And they weren’t as emboldened.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                  I'm disappointed you're not relating this back to the Chart Show Indie Chart, Tubby. Surely if there was ever a case of cometh the hour, cometh the chart...
                  Now you mention it, The Smiths were on the 1986 chart of the year, which was the first I heard of indie charts. I think they probably showed the Panic video. They showed something by Fuzzbox too, I think.

Comment

Your place for indie whiteness was Peel's Festive 50. He complained about it one year, I recall, when it only had 2 black records in it- Public Enemy and Overlord X.

Comment

That was 1988. The audience responded by only choosing one black record in 1989 (De La Soul).

Christ, I think there are none at all in 1990.
                      Last edited by Tubby Isaacs; 21-04-2018, 18:03.

Comment

I recall Cocteaus being on Chart Show with the Pink Orange Red video. More colour prejudice.

Comment

https://mobile.twitter.com/KaptainKu...34033875988480

the best Public Enemy albums are also the most full of embarrassing and downright bullshit bollocks.
                          Sir, are you OK? shall I send a doctor to your abode?

Comment

Pollywanacracka? Meet the G that Killed Me?
                            Last edited by Lang Spoon; 01-05-2018, 23:10.

Comment

Pollywannacracka?
                              From Fear of a black planet, That's the equivalent of dissing Maradonna for having no right foot.
                              Your beyond medication, you need an exorcism.

This deserves a thread in its own.

Comment

I love that album. But it also has some bollocks talked on it. That’s what I said above. Doesn’t take away from it being amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                                  That was 1988. The audience responded by only choosing one black record in 1989 (De La Soul).

Christ, I think there are none at all in 1990.
                                  Nor in 1991 or 1992.

I can remember Peel also moaning that House Of Love's Destroy the Heart topping the 1988 Festive Fifty was 'too obvious' - which seemed faintly daft given that he'd given the record blanket airplay when it was released that summer.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                                    Your place for indie whiteness was Peel's Festive 50. He complained about it one year, I recall, when it only had 2 black records in it- Public Enemy and Overlord X.
                                    Hold on, Peel didn't choose the Festive 50? I did not know that.

Comment

I love that album. But it also has some bollocks talked on it. That’s what I said above. Doesn’t take away from it being amazing.
                                      So the song Pollywannacracka what about this song is bollocks or did you just read a review on NME/MM or the Gaurdian telling you it was bollocks?

Meet the G that kiiled me was a skit and not a record btw.

Comment

Cold burn man. Centrist dad defensive tortoise position assumed. And it’s long enough since I intensely more than once in a while stuck on Public Enemy (partly cos their peak was before my time and this was all slightly historical when they were Amazing pre underwhelming (But Anthrax! And by the Time I Get To Arizona!) Apocalypse 91 lp). Still think the last verse of Pollywanacracka doesn’t fit with the sneer of the first two, and tbh I can’t remember the party line from the inkies on hip hop. Had Price Cube and Kulkarni in full effect during my peak Easily Influenced years. Which meant a lot of far harsher stuff than anything PE have said ever. wouldn’t have taken any notice of the NME from 91 on regarding hip hop.
                                        Last edited by Lang Spoon; 02-05-2018, 23:23.

Comment

Cold burn man. Centrist dad defensive tortoise position assumed. And it’s long enough since I intensely more than once in a while stuck on Public Enemy (partly cos their peak was before my time and this was all slightly historical when they were Amazing pre underwhelming (But Anthrax! And by the Time I Get To Arizona!) Apocalypse 91 lp). Still think the last verse of Pollywanacracka doesn’t fit with the sneer of the first two, and tbh I can’t remember the party line from the inkies on hip hop. Had Price Cube and Kulkarni in full effect during my peak Easily Influenced years. Which meant a lot of far harsher stuff than anything PE have said ever. wouldn’t have taken any notice of the NME from 91 on regarding hip hop.
                                          I struggled to understand what you are on about. the last verse of that song fits with the first two. I strongly suggest you read the lyrics. If you still don't get it, I am more than happy to break it down.

Comment

That’s a common reaction to my posts. Think myself DG and Gero are having a pan Celtic inscrutable face-off. I concede defeat man. I got an impression the first few verses diss miscegenation and the last verse is a more lib dem get out. I don’t want to argue it but, and I think the suddenly wtf listening was more on Nation of Millions in Fife 90s middle class female company, so I’m both rusty with the music and maybe doing some transference.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                                              Hold on, Peel didn't choose the Festive 50? I did not know that.
                                              It was annually voted-for by the listeners. Had Peel chosen it himself, it'd have been about twenty-five Fall tracks with the rest probably made up by Misty In Roots, Prince Far I and Mav Cacherel.

In its early incarnation, Peel would choose his own favourite to add to the mix. For example, in 1977 he rather gauchely placed Dancing the Night Away by The Motors as the year's number one. (By the following year, it was listeners-only, hence the chart was chock-a with Pistols, Clash and other punk anthems.)

Comment

That’s a common reaction to my posts. Think myself DG and Gero are having a pan Celtic inscrutable face-off. I concede defeat man. I got an impression the first few verses diss miscegenation and the last verse is a more lib dem get out. I don’t want to argue it but, and I think the suddenly wtf listening was more on Nation of Millions in Fife 90s middle class female company, so I’m both rusty with the music and maybe doing some transference.
                                                It's a common misunderstanding of Public Enemy's message due to:

The media's agenda to strip them of their power and following as they were waking people up
                                                such a narrative is easily accepted by those in the dominant society is it fits their narrow minded view that anyone who is pro black must hate white people.

The lyrics of the song are about black people who do not date within their race as they are so full of self hate and not because dating white people is in itself bad (as the end clearly states).

The other song contains a skit by Frances Cress Welsing.

Comment

It's that man again -

http://www.nme.com/news/music/morris...ameful-2333438

Morrissey has spoken out to explain his support of the controversial party For Britain, as well as saying that the media treatment of EDL co-founder Tommy Robinson has been “shocking”.
                                                  Read more at http://www.nme.com/news/music/morris...AEDeILG9OeP.99

Comment

Ace thread from another board:

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/foru...c,57178.0.html

Comment

Working...
                                                    X