X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This charming man -

Morrissey showing his usual compassion and understanding -

http://www.nme.com/news/music/morris...operly-2295226

(Just too much to quote any individual item out of all that)

I saw "Hitler was Left wing" in the headline and decided not to read on.

Comment

Always loved, and still love, The Smiths, and some of his solo work, but really, fuck me...

Comment

The 'Shut Up, Morrissey' tote bag that I bought last year is proving to be a real investment piece.

Comment

"Neighbourhood policing" isn't exactly a bit of ultra-modern management speak.

Then again, I think he wants the Mayor of London to say he'll deport black people or something.

Comment

Comment

Knowing the wit of his early recorded efforts, you try to find any element of humour within these bizarre proclamations.

Instead - and in stark contrast to that past career - it all smacks of an individual utterly detached from the reality he tries to describe. I mean, opinions are one thing, but this reads more like somebody suffering from a distinctly personal form of Tourette's.

Comment

He was always a racist but, even when he had the funnies. Reggae is vile, Bengali in Platforms, his whole kitchen sink fetish even looks suspect now, a time before when Manc was nicely white.

Comment

This is about time I called him a cunt again, isn't it?

CUNT!!!!

Damn... why can't we have any larger font sizes?

Comment

Does the fucking kipper bastard still live in Rome? Oh give him the hard Brexit he wants. He’s a despicable bastard, it’s been open fash sympathizing and “playing with images” since at least 92 and the National Front Disco bollocks/Madness gig shitnami.

I can’t be arsed checking, but I wonder how Legitimate Concerns John Harris viewed all that shite 25+ years back?

Comment

Through his fringe?

Comment

Haha. It’s always fun to laugh at Travels with my Haircut.

Comment

Legitimate Concerns Stuart Maconie will probably still play his next single.

There's no point trying to 'analyze' his rants because, as Jah says, it's just some verbal diarrhoea akin to Tourettes.
                          Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 19-04-2018, 00:29.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                            He was always a racist but, even when he had the funnies. Reggae is vile, Bengali in Platforms, his whole kitchen sink fetish even looks suspect now, a time before when Manc was nicely white.
                            I think 'reggae is vile' was just ignorant and deliberately provocative, rather than out-and-out racist - but, yep, he was laying down one or two clues, it's true.

Comment

I think his early opinions on black music fitted the nostalgia model rather than racism. For example this from 1986 can only be inferred as racist by making a lot of assumptions:

"But, ultimately, I don't have very cast iron opinions on black music other than black modern music which I detest."

A year later, however, he did a demo of 'Bengali in Platforms' where the racism was hard to deny. Maybe a key moment is his moving to London around 1985-86 and all his racist demons being triggered by the cosmopolitanism? But it was harder to be racist in a band where he'd have to look Johnny Marr in the eye. Once Johnny left, gloves were off.

Comment

When that fucker said "...other than black modern music which I detest", he dismissed a huge variety of musical directions by reference to the race from which these genres come. That's by definition racist.

Comment

Johnny Rogan defended Bengali in Platforms for a while, as "seventies", in keeping with lots of the rest of that album. I agreed with that, but Rogan later changed his mind. He's looking more and more right in that recanting.

Comment

Re "reggae is vile". From 2003, where he still sounds sane.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2003/.../arts.artsnews

The deal was agreed at the end of May with the Sanctuary Records Group, whose chief executive, Merck Mercuriadis, described the maverick singer as a reggae aficionado.

"Early on in our discussions, Morrissey proved himself to be a connoisseur of our Trojan Records catalogue and expressed an interest in using the Attack label for the release of his records.

"We are very pleased to accommodate and hope that he will also find new artists to release on Attack. Attack Records will be a reflection of his creative vision and his exclusive domain."

Comment

I'm disappointed you're not relating this back to the Chart Show Indie Chart, Tubby. Surely if there was ever a case of cometh the hour, cometh the chart...

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                                        When that fucker said "...other than black modern music which I detest", he dismissed a huge variety of musical directions by reference to the race from which these genres come. That's by definition racist.
                                        Yes but at the time it was common practice to lump all kinds of genres into the racist phrase "black modern music" without the people doing it realizing they were being racist or demeaning the achievements of the artists. I think in Morrissey's case we see the racism in the comment in the light of what we now know him to be, a full-on white nationalist, but at the time I took him to be saying that he didn't like the directions that many African-Americans had taken since the 70s, which I took to be more a statement of musical ignorance (had he actually listened to a Prince album, for example?) rather than the expression of a deeply held racism we now know it to have been.

In other words, he wasn't the only white Indie child of post-punk to hold that ignorant view of "black modern music" in the mid-80s and they weren't all as full-on racist as he proved himself to be.

On "all reggae is vile", that was probably another sweeping rejection of all Jamaican music since the 1968-72 Trojan era, which you could infer as a racist rejection of the music becoming too militant or "black", whereas Trojan has I think a lot more overlaps with western pop.
                                        Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 20-04-2018, 00:13.

Comment

Nah. Fuck Morrissey.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                            Yes but at the time it was common practice to lump all kinds of genres into the racist phrase "black modern music" without the people doing it realizing they were being racist...
                                            But, as you say, it was racist. That's the problem with racism: it's not all burning crosses and Love Thy Neighbour.

Comment

Yep, agree with that. While his 'reggae is vile' comment - as ignorant as it was - could arguably be limited to a dislike of a musical form, the 'black modern music' dismissal makes heavy weather of disguising its blatant 'that lot'-overtones.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                                                This is about time I called him a cunt again, isn't it?

CUNT!!!!

Damn... why can't we have any larger font sizes?
                                                Found this on google images for you -

Comment

I was gonna try and embed a video of loads of random people just shouting "CUNT!" at first but the problem with YouTube being run by Americans is that they're somewhat reticent to show you that kind of thing in the search results and yes, I did turn off restricted mode.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X