The Goalkeeper's Fear Of The Penalty Kick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Goalkeeper's Fear Of The Penalty Kick

...is being shown tomorrow (Sunday 15th April) at the Ultimate Picture Palace in Oxford at 3:15pm and again on Monday 16th at 6:15pm.

I suspect there is not a more suitable group in the world that I could alert to this news.

Actually, it's the Goalkeeper's Fear of the Penalty, isn't it? That kind of being the point of the ambiguous title. Apologies all round.

Comment

Well, it was originally Die Angst des Tormanns beim Elfmeter, which unambiguously refers to a kick from the penalty mark.

Comment

ursus, thank you for saving my blushes.

Comment

Even in English it (the film) was more frequently known as The Goalie's Anxiety at the Penalty Kick, which is probably a more accurate translation of angst as well as more of a clue to the existential themes that Wenders explores. I haven't read the book so who knows whether the hints of Camus are Wenders' or the novelist's. Anyway, as a young football fan I found it pretty baffling, later as a film student I loved it as a great example of German New Wave cinema. Enjoy!

Comment

I prefer the Werner Herzog remake.

"The goalkeeper thought that the ball was his friend and that it would rush into his arms..."

Comment

Grizzly soundtrack though.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Cogito View Post
                Grizzly soundtrack though.
                Heh. It's a weird one Grizzly Man; the bleak hilarity colours my memory of it much more than it did the actual viewing.

Comment

Working...
                X