After the Windrush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bizarre Löw Triangle View Post
    It sounds like they were destroyed more in carelessness than in malice? I very much doubt that this came from an explicit desire to kick out pre-1962 migrants. They're just collateral damage.

The wider problem is the culture of disbelief and casual cruelty in which the home office operates.

Fundamentally, the state should not be allowed to deport people to countries they never or barely knew, where they have no support networks. The state should not be making access to housing, healthcare and employment conditional on being able to prove your status, or putting border cops in housing offices. If the reaction to this leads to anything less than a wholesale rejection of the premise of the "hostile environment", it'll be a failure.

With a couple of exceptions, Labour have been piss-weak on this so far too - almost like they've been caught out by the public/media reaction.
    Sounds to me like full-on malice. If those records were regularly used to people had the right to stay there’s no other reason to destroy them. Agree with the rest ofyour points though it depends who you call "labour" in this instance. Corbyn, McDonnell, Diane Abbott have campaigned tirelessly on these issues. In fact Corbyn raised all of this in the house of Commons when the 2013 bill was on its way to become law. Most of Labour abstained

https://twitter.com/washyourmouth1/status/986126727385702400
    Last edited by Nefertiti2; 17-04-2018, 17:01.

Comment

So much of this happened under Theresa May, she's going to have some uncomfortable days dealing with this when she could have been dealing with Brexit.

3.5 million Europeans are getting nervous me thinks.

Comment

https://twitter.com/ian_fraser/status/986327694903250945

Comment

https://twitter.com/natalie_bloomer/status/986309231811973120

May hates foreigners.

Comment

Does she really hate foreigners or does she just pick on the weak, so she looks strong, to hide that she's utterly and completely fucking useless?

The Supergrass is a migration rights lawyer, and tbh the only surprising thing about this is that it is only happening now. The Home Office contain some seriously hardcore cunts. They know they can't sent gay people back to large swathes of africa, but they try anyway. Just for the fun of it.

Comment

Does she really hate foreigners or does she just pick on the weak, so she looks strong, to hide that she's utterly and completely fucking useless?
              I think- both

https://twitter.com/mrjamesob/status/986285934189666304

Comment

Isn't that just the van, with May as a...clown? Because she's a clown? Am I missing something?

I mean it's angry but otherwise... I guess humour is subjective.

Comment

Actually, the fact he's changed the number on the van by one digit to ensure no one uses his cartoon as a reference guide to deporting people is quite funny.

Comment

She has Enoch Powell next to her. and Amber Rudd as an apologetic mascot

Here's May's speech to the Conservative Party Conference in 2015

Comment

Theresa May was two years into her job as home secretary when she made her strategy explicit, telling the Telegraph in 2012 her aim “was to create here in Britain a really hostile environment for illegal migration”.

Colin Yeo, an immigration barrister from Garden Court chambers, said the strategy had been applied without much consideration of the social consequences.

“We now effectively have in-country immigration controls, carried out by private citizens on each other,”

Comment

That doesn't explain why she's making it miserable for legal migrants though.

Comment

They’re all foreigners. UKIP voters like it

See Amber Rudd here, smirking

https://twitter.com/paulmasonnews/status/986261264618999808

Comment

Fuck the Tories. UKIP cunts to a man and woman.

I fucking hate this country.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy Waterman View Post
                              Isn't that just the van, with May as a...clown? Because she's a clown? Am I missing something?

I mean it's angry but otherwise... I guess humour is subjective.
                              Isn't it the van with a critical two letters missing?

Comment

Steve Bell can fuck off with his tired shite. He’s not far off the tone deaf nature of Grauniad editorials and occasional features or news articles on the Celtic Fringes. With added Punch style ironic bigotry. As tired as Hislop and his other arsed faced pals on the Telly. Satire is so fucking laboured or sneery.

Comment

I think at his best Bell's still very good indeed - and much tougher than Hislop. in fact he's worlds away from tone deaf Guardian editorial. I've no idea how he pissed in your chips.

Comment

He’s piss annoying on Scotchland, he’s dined out on Mad Blair One Eye for years. The same tropes and little nods eg the penguins that are as funny as a sebaceous abscess. Really I just find satire more and more tiring. Viz is probably the only British bit of media that does it well. I don’t like Martin Rowson much, but I find him more worth a look than Bell treading stinking old bathwater.

Comment

Private Eye is horrorshow when it comes to cartoons and sketches. Get tae fuck Craig Brown. Only worth it for the investigative stuff. x2 for the pisspoor Irish version The Phoenix.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                                        They’re all foreigners. UKIP voters like it

See Amber Rudd here, smirking

https://twitter.com/paulmasonnews/status/986261264618999808
                                        Paul "legitimate concerns" Mason is trying to make political capital off opposing the hostile environment when he's been one of the loudest voices on the Labour left arguing for tighter immigration controls.

He's a reprehensible piece of shit

Comment

Private Eye is horrorshow when it comes to cartoons and sketches
                                          Oh, God, yes. I don't even read the back section these days (apart from the very back).

Comment

Agree- Private Eye "comedy" is incredibly stale racist and unfunny. But I was talking about Steve Bell.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post

The Supergrass is a migration rights lawyer, and tbh the only surprising thing about this is that it is only happening now. The Home Office contain some seriously hardcore cunts. They know they can't sent gay people back to large swathes of africa, but they try anyway. Just for the fun of it.
                                              Are you serious, like really?

The reason why these laws get passed and policy get enacted is not because of the antics of the hard Right, but the knowledge that there are a large proportion of liberals who will water down and excuse such behaviour as something else (like incompetance, sexism, class bias). As an Irishman, I expect you to know better and your ancestors must be spinning in their graves.

Comment

https://twitter.com/bounder/status/986137129704148992

Comment

The EP/Home Office meeting on the 24th is going to be interesting I suspect....

Comment

I can get why people would agree with Steve Bell and feel happy that someone is articulating those feelings with such passion, but I can't visualise someone looking at that cartoon and laughing.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X