After the Windrush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MsD View Post
    Patrick Vernon, who started the petition, is originally from Wolverhampton. He lives in Hackney now, is married to my friend. He's been active in the debate about the Black Country flag, and has posted about the plaque, was due to take back in a debate about it but pulled out as a UKIP councillor was present.

The plaque and flag are probably huge deals to activists on both sides, but it's interesting to hear that it's not a general concern.
    I doubt 90% of the population of Wolverhampton would know where the house on Merridale Road is and the remaining 10% are history buffs and BNP/EDL.
    Powell would have been confined to history if his BBC fanboys didn't periodically drag up his name every few years on spurious contexts.

His apocalyptic predictions have not come to pass, race riots are few and far between, the black man does not have the whip hand over the white man and for the most part, people live side by side cordially.

Regarding activists, I don't buy the Express and Star, and only occasionally flick through it when queueing up at my local COOP. I have seen a few articles about this during the (nearly) 3 years I have been living in Wolverhampton. Merridale road is in one of the nicer parts of Wolverhampton with a large number of large Victorian/Edwardian houses built at the turn of the 20th Century to house the various businessmen (usually based in London when they would come to Wolverhampton to check on their factories.

Speaking of Wolverhampton, It must have been some town back in the Early 1900's as some of the houses here are quite grand and Some of the pictures I have of it in it's former glory are something else.
    Last edited by Tactical Genius; 16-04-2018, 12:13.

Comment

Nefertiti, It is disgraceful that these laws have been applied in this way, but it should not come as a surprise for a black person who has been living in the UK for 50 odd years. Practically every Immigration law that has been passed in the last 60 years has been aimed at us in particular. To stop us settling here and to send back the ones already here.

These people are as much victims of their own complacency as anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
        "Deported in error."
        https://twitter.com/cathynewman/status/985831260516945920

Deported in fucking error? Christ on a fucking bike.
        Oops, we appear to have put you through months of trauma, got you sacked from your job and sent you to Jamaica. Whoops-a-daisy.

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post
          These people are as much victims of their own complacency as anything else.
          Doesn't that come across as saying "It's your own bloody fault"? I wouldn't argue with your statement that immigration laws are stacked against non-white immigrants, but most people who have fallen foul of this latest interpretation are people who have been long time blue collar workers who have never had to deal with immigration issues in the past and are merely victims of an education system that never gave them the tools to deal with the intricacies of immigration law in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
            Doesn't that come across as saying "It's your own bloody fault"? I wouldn't argue with your statement that immigration laws are stacked against non-white immigrants, but most people who have fallen foul of this latest interpretation are people who have been long time blue collar workers who have never had to deal with immigration issues in the past and are merely victims of an education system that never gave them the tools to deal with the intricacies of immigration law in the first place.
            Their status didn't change- it was the government actively implementing a racist policy where people had to prove their right to be here to keep their jobs, use the NHS etc..Yes people who came here as kids may have been too trusting. Once the law changed they needed to dins around 300 quid to prove their right to be here- if they could.

May needs to go for this. it's her policy,

https://twitter.com/chakrabortty/status/985861340869939200

Comment

https://twitter.com/tpgcolson/status/985857924701523968

Comment

https://twitter.com/tpgcolson/status/985858294479810560

Comment

Deported in fucking error? Christ on a fucking bike.
                  Oops, we appear to have put you through months of trauma, got you sacked from your job and sent you to Jamaica. Whoops-a-daisy.
                  This has been part of a calculated move over the last 20 years.
                  requirements for documentation at work, peeling back the appeals process for deportations, lack of legal aid, ramping up the burden of proof to prove you are a UK citizen.

These laws were sold as to prevent those dodgy (Indians/Muslims) who come over and then sneak their parents, grandparents, 10 wives and 100 children who will all claim benifits and require the NHS to treat them for whatever expensive rare forms of Cancer they have.

Sadly alot of black people co-signed this bullshit and are now surprised these laws are being applied to their nearest and dearest.
                  It's like the anti-terror laws being used by local council to spy on people.

As people we need to be very careful what goes on the statute book.

Comment

I use complacency advisedly here.
                    To a certain extent it is their own fault to a certain extent. I can clearly remember many relatives and family friends rushing back to the UK to officially secure their status after a law change (British Nationality Act 1981?).

For a bit of a background. A large number of Nigerians moved to the UK in the 1960's as students and Economic migrants as the political situation deteriorated in the runup to the Biafran war.

After the Oil-fuelled economic boom of the late 70's, a large number of them returned with their families as many were university educated and were offered quite lucrative jobs in the various government departments where their skills gained abroad were highly valued (post office, utilities e.t.c).

However, when the new laws were passed, many came back to sort out the paperwork for themselves and their British born kids.

My parents did not get a British passport until 1982 as they did not see the point (until then, they would travel on their Nigerian passports)

The same thing happened in the Caribbean community as those born abroad rushed to cement their status as the goalposts were continually being moved.
                    I don't think it was a lack of education, i wasn't an adult in 80-82, but once Thatcher was elected in 79 people knew what was up.

May won't suffer any political damage over this because few people really give a shit. The funny thing is that the UK is facing Brexit and will in the not to distant future be looking to sign trade deals with these Commonwealth countries. When these nations raised concerns and asked for a meeting to discuss, the British government refused.

Comment

The funny thing is that the UK is facing Brexit and will in the not to distant future be looking to sign trade deals with these Commonwealth countries. When these nations raised concerns and asked for a meeting to discuss, the British government refused.
                      Greg Hands was in Nairobi all week pushing a new trade agreement with the Kenyans. My FCO contacts say it's embarrassing - three years ago they were ready to push the Commonwealth under a bus and now they are all talking 'marginal gains' on trade with Tuvalu etc.

For what it's worth - and I'm not sure who knows on here - I used to work for the Home Office and moved to an international agency about three years ago. There is no doubt that a fairly 'robust' organisation has become even nastier, and I honestly don't think it gives a fuck.

Comment

My late mother fancied Enoch Powell while he was a NI MP. Her denials were half-hearted

Her: Why are you lounging around the house all afternoon watching bloody cricket?

Me: I've been sacked as an encyclopedia salesman. But maybe it's just as well, the boss is in the UDA and the star sales guy knows Gerry Adams

Her: Well if you can't get another summer job do something useful...like Enoch (waves newspaper)- he learned Classical Greek on the boat trip to Australia

TG is wise to avoid the Express and Swastika. The Black Country chainlink flag is a staple story- their equiv of 'Diana Still Dead' in the Daily Express

PS UKIP are contesting 1 of the 101 seats for Birmingham City Council next month. They've also wisely chosen not to challenge me

PPS in last year's General Election, one Dudley North voter spoilt his paper by scrawling VOT ENOCK POWEL instead of choosing a party
                        Last edited by Duncan Gardner; 16-04-2018, 14:06.

Comment

British residents deported to Jamaica told to 'put on accent'

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...y_to_clipboard

Comment

https://twitter.com/bounder/status/986137129704148992

Comment

As a migrant myself, I took TG's point with a fair bit of sympathy. Unless you're Irish*, get a UK passport as quickly as you can help it. It makes your life a lot easier. That being the case doesn't make my piss boil less about what is happening to these people, it just informs why I want to naturalise as quickly as possible.

And the number of stories which involved people losing their passports and not doing anything about it does strike me as complacent. I had an expired US passport for about a month before I applied for a new one, and I was sick to my stomach with anxiety about it.

* or from the EU until about two years ago

Comment

Followers of the Brexit thread may be unsurprised to learn that Daniel Hannan has a hot take on the Windrush situation. Apparently it's a sign of the system working.

Comment

I know I came across harsh with what I said, but as Guests in the UK, we need to protect ourselves from the every shifting ways that this country fucks with us.

Immigration issues are always discussed as we ALL have either friends or family members who has had immigration issues sometime in the past so we know that once you are in the cross-hairs of the UKBA, they come at you with furious envy.
                                  Earlier on the radio, they were talking to one of these people who had not sorted out his immigration status (no explanation why) and his first inkling of a problem was when he tried to obtain a British passport in 2005 to travel to Jamaica to attend his mother's funeral.
                                  The Home office weren't very helpful at the time and he at the time did not give the issue the seriousness it deserved. Roll forward to a few years ago where he lost his job working for the Peabody Trust as recent government guidelines forced all employers to make sure their staff had the correct paperwork. Since then he has been facing an upward battle to prove his status including being asked to attend an English as a foreign language course !!??

Many in the media who are giving the respective ministers grief for going after 60 year old Caribbeans are the same ones bullying them into giving ever larger commitments to deport failed asylum seekers during elections.
                                  I also see Amber Rudd is blaming the staff rather than the odious directives herself and May have been peddling the last few years.

Comment

These people are vile

They destroyed the Windrush evidence - the landing cards. ( helps to explain the above, TG -until recently there was evidence and it would generally be used to prove that those who had the right to stay could stay.) it was deliberately destroyed so they could deport them. Fuckers.)
                                    Last edited by Nefertiti2; 17-04-2018, 13:31.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                                      Followers of the Brexit thread may be unsurprised to learn that Daniel Hannan has a hot take on the Windrush situation. Apparently it's a sign of the system working.
                                      He is right though, just like the system was working when the Gestapo came to forcibly deport the Jews.

Comment

These people are vile

They destroyed the Windrush evidence - the landing cards. ( helps to explain the above, TG -until recently there was evidence and it would generally be used to prove that those who had the right to stay could stay.) it was deliberately destroyed so they could deport them. Fuckers.)
                                        Not surprised, as a said in my previous post, we all know someone who has had issues with their immigration status and requested information always seems to be missing or lost. Whether it be landing cards, school records, tax records or some kind of data protection act bullshit.
                                        But if you commit a crime, fake your education/qualifications or not payed enough tax, this evidence materialises like fucking magic.

Comment

He is right though, just like the system was working when the Gestapo came to forcibly deport the Jews.
                                          Well, indeed. That's not what he purports to mean, though.

Comment

Not surprised, as a said in my previous post, we all know someone who has had issues with their immigration status and requested information always seems to be missing or lost. Whether it be landing cards, school records, tax records or some kind of data protection act bullshit.
                                            But if you commit a crime, fake your education/qualifications or not payed enough tax, this evidence materialises like fucking magic.
                                            Unless you're, say, Tony Blair

Comment

So they are having a go at Tony Blair for buying a £500 Siemens dishwasher instead of a cheapo one for £200. Is this what passes for journalism nowadays?

I have a £500 Siemens dishwasher as is it better value for money and came with a 5 year guarantee.

Comment

Less about his dishwasher. more about his shredding.

Comment

These people are vile

It sounds like they were destroyed more in carelessness than in malice? I very much doubt that this came from an explicit desire to kick out pre-1962 migrants. They're just collateral damage.

The wider problem is the culture of disbelief and casual cruelty in which the home office operates.

Fundamentally, the state should not be allowed to deport people to countries they never or barely knew, where they have no support networks. The state should not be making access to housing, healthcare and employment conditional on being able to prove your status, or putting border cops in housing offices. If the reaction to this leads to anything less than a wholesale rejection of the premise of the "hostile environment", it'll be a failure.

With a couple of exceptions, Labour have been piss-weak on this so far too - almost like they've been caught out by the public/media reaction.

Comment

The state should not be making access to housing, healthcare and employment conditional on being able to prove your status, or putting border cops in housing offices. If the reaction to this leads to anything less than a wholesale rejection of the premise of the "hostile environment", it'll be a failure.
                                                    The hostile environment is the entire basis of the government's approach to immigration post-Brexit. It's not going anywhere unless Brexit is reversed or we keep FoM (and obviously it would stay even then for non-EU nationals anyway).

Comment

Working...
                                                    X