After the Windrush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
    Thornberry saying she has no problem with landlord snitch by compulsion laws is classic Labour fucking up the one opportunity to put the tiniest bit of humanity into Immigration policy and “border enforcement”. Fuck sake Labour. Again. Tom Gann has been very good on the tweet machine about this.
    Also seemed to imply she supports passport checks in the NHS, despite being disastrous in terms of public health and also unthinkably nasty.

I don't know why she's doing this as it's not even labour policy any more to support this stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post
      She's right, its no more than Awkward, it's only a bit of racism, this is the UK, nobody really gives a shit about stuff like this.
      I turned on QT yesterday and while this topic was being discussed, the camera panned around the crown and the looks of indifference and sighing and rolling of eyes told me all i need to know.

As we can see, the debate has already moved on to banning cotton buds and Brexit.
      On R4's Any Answers on Saturday, some of those eye rolling types phoned in.

Utterly depressing it was.

Comment

Excellent Channel Four News tonight. Nobody from the government would attend so they got Jacob Rees Mogg.

Comment

Removal Targets a witness says there were. Rudd says she has no knowledge.

Comment

Channel Four News is again great.

The government is again trying to change the narrative and talk about illegal immigrants when all of these people are here legally.

Yvette Cooper was asking questions at the select committee, surely she should resign from this as she's part of the problem.

She did ask one good question to Rudd, did she have 4 pieces of evidence for every year she's been in the UK?

Comment

Lenny Henry asked Theresa May that at the Stephen Lawrence memorial.

Worth a watch, if you haven't seen it

https://twitter.com/Rachael_Swindon/status/988660733096448000

Comment

He should return his knighthood. It's a very powerful speech, saw it yesterday.

Comment

'Not British enough': ex-high commissioner's baby denied UK passport in 2011

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...y_to_clipboard

He says that the default position is refusal and that's our personal experience too.

Comment

U-Turn if you want to; this lady is for turning...

Comment

Never been the biggest fan of Yvette Cooper but this is cold fury, eloquently delivered. (I do wish someone would tell May to stop conflating illegal immigration with the Windrush generation.)

https://twitter.com/theipaper/status/989181727762509824

Comment

Originally posted by Bizarre Löw Triangle View Post
                        Also seemed to imply she supports passport checks in the NHS, despite being disastrous in terms of public health and also unthinkably nasty.

I don't know why she's doing this as it's not even labour policy any more to support this stuff.
                        Passport checks up front isn't Labour policy. I assume it's still policy to check afterwards to see if the NHS should recharge the patient?

Comment

On this topic - for those who can get the BBC iplayer - this is an extraordinary documentary, made in 1964. From the very first sentences, it's an amazing snapshot, and should be shown on Saturday, on all channels, at 8pm. I can't imagine a similar documentary being made for TV today.

Comment

The filmmaker, Philip Donellan, had a pretty good resume.

Comment

Diane Abbott working tirelessly for migrants here by opposing regularising the status of migrants who've been in the uk for ten years or more.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-poli...gal-immigrants

Comment

yes Diane Abbott is really the figure who most needs criticism here.

Comment

If Labour espouse a misguided and stupid policy then we should call them out. I don't think anyone here is going to vote Tory because BLT criticises Diane Abbott.

Comment

I'm not watching a video, what is she saying?

Comment

Originally posted by Flynnie View Post
                                      I'm not watching a video, what is she saying?
                                      She was asked about an amnesty plan for undocumented migrants who've been in the country for over ten years. She said she wouldn't support such a plan and promised that Labour would "bear down on the numbers of illegal migrants".

Comment

I'm not going to defend her too much, but there seems to be a concerted effort to conflate illegal immigration with the Windrush cases.

Comment

But the worry with all that is the debate moves into a "good immigrant/bad immigrant" narrative, with frail elderly Jamaicans cast as loyal subjects of Her Majesty, and swarthy newcomers and recently-arrived refugees as "the ones we need to crack down on". A left-led Labour party should be going nowhere near this narrative.

Comment

Originally posted by Bizarre Löw Triangle View Post
                                            She was asked about an amnesty plan for undocumented migrants who've been in the country for over ten years. She said she wouldn't support such a plan and promised that Labour would "bear down on the numbers of illegal migrants".
                                            Yay 4 hostile environment. I empathise a bit, it's a gotcha question that will rile the gammon, but she didn't need to add Labour would kick out the illegals.

Comment

Well yes, there is. But they are inseparable. The reason for the Windrush cases is the hostile environment for illegal immigrants. The Tories don't want to deport the Windrush people, they just don't give a shit about them and were happy for them to be collateral in their xenophobic drive against migrants legal or illegal.

@snake

Comment

I think we are coming at the same point from different directions, as I believe that the hostile environment is for all immigrants, illegal or not. The Tories don't want migrants coming here full stop. You can see it with the description of EU citizens as playing cards in negotiations.

Unless they are billionaires, obviously.

Comment

Sky poll showed 25% of respondents thought the Windrush scandal a price worth paying to dissuade illegal immigrants....

Comment

25% is pretty low really. Given how polarised political discourse is, anything that gets under 35% support is really unpopular, hence why the Tories have switched tack from trying to brazen this out 2 weeks ago to abject apologies.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X