No announcement yet.

Ups & Downs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

South Shields celebrated promotion from Northern Premier League Division One North last night, then this morning the league have issued this statement.

Comment

Apart from being very badly worded, that seems ridiculously incompetent at this stage of the season.

Comment

I don't even understand it. (And not just because of the ridiculous overuse of capital letters)

Comment

Basically, it's not in the NPL's gift to confirm the promotions and playoffs yet until the two parallel regional leagues (Southern and Isthmian) have also finished and the FA has confirmed that everything is in order. This is because of the restructuring.

Comment

Originally posted by Jobi1 View Post
            Guiseley gone from the National League. Been a fair while coming that one.
            Hopefully not Sean St Ledger's last managerial role.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
              Basically, it's not in the NPL's gift to confirm the promotions and playoffs yet until the two parallel regional leagues (Southern and Isthmian) have also finished and the FA has confirmed that everything is in order. This is because of the restructuring.
              Please get in touch with the NPL and tell them you're available to write their press releases Kevin.

Comment

Heh, cheers. Meanwhile AFC Hornchurch have won the Isthmian North and, relatedly, the Isthmian league has used the phrase 'promotion party' around the South division's Carshalton Athletic, unlike the hedgey NPL.

(I guess this is because the Isthmian is going to be in charge of the new step 4 division so can be a bit more certain about things?)
                Last edited by Kevin S; 18-04-2018, 12:46.

Comment

Suspect that's because Carshalton are sure to finish in the top two, which Shields aren't quite, yet. Top two= definite promotion, whereas it's not 100% guaranteed that best third place at step 4 will be promoted. It's more pertinent to the playoff chasing clubs, who don't at this point know if 7th place will be enough.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                    I don't even understand it. (And not just because of the ridiculous overuse of capital letters)
                    I don't think I have grasped one single point with regard to the restructuring, everything I look at reads like Ted Rogers asking a question from '3-2-1'.
                    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 18-04-2018, 14:01.

Comment

Darlo of course safe from relegation.

(Until the league and the FA intervene to dock us points and demote us several leagues again)

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
                        South Shields celebrated promotion from Northern Premier League Division One North last night, then this morning the league have issued this statement.

(There was no need to shout)

Comment

At the risk of flogging a dead horse or teaching a grandmother to suck eggs, you know there are three regional leagues that sit in parallel below the National League. They roughly cover the regions like this:

Each of the three regional leagues have one top division, and each also has two parallel divisions below those (with the Isthmian and the NPL splitting their second tiers into North and South, while the Southern League splits East and West).

As of next season, the three leagues will still exist but there will be an extra (fourth) division at the top regional level. The Southern League will be in charge of it.

To create this division, there will be a shitload of promotions (21) from the six second-tier regional divisions and only three relegations. Hence the top two of the Southern West, Southern East, NPL North, NPL South, Isthmian North and Isthmian South are all going up (12 teams). Then three of the third placed teams will go up (3 teams) and all of the divisions will have a playoff for another team to go up (6 teams). So that's how we get to four regional top-level divisions.

But added to that there is the fun of going from the current six regional second-level divisions to seven. The extra second-level division is going to be run by the Isthmian League and they should look something like this:

Now at this point, I don't think I've seen where the extra teams are coming from or whether these divisions are just supposed to be smaller than now. I presume there will be some extra promotions from the local leagues. (Edit - some non-league blogs seem to suggest extra promotions from the local leagues, so quite likely that both Coggeshall Town and Felixtowe & Walton United will go up from the Eastern Counties League to the green Isthmian division.)
                          Last edited by Kevin S; 18-04-2018, 13:51.

Comment

I look at all that but all I see is ;

Seriously though, thanks Kevin, that's certainly the closest I'm ever going to come to understanding it until the leagues and fixtures are announced.

Comment

Retford United relegated from NCEL division 1 tonight. Not all that many years ago they were high flying in the NPL Premier, now they're at county level next season.

Comment

Then three of the third placed teams will go up (3 teams) and all of the divisions will have a playoff for another team to go up (6 teams)
                                Why not "all six of the third placed teams will go up (6 teams) and all of the divisions will have a playoff from which three teams go up (3 teams)"?

Comment

Doing that either removes the normal play-off situation where teams finishing 6th/7th still have a chance of a backdoor promotion, or it creates a huge combined play-off featuring 24 clubs going for three places. Also having cross-divisional play-offs (as this would neccesitate) increases traveling.

Comment

Well the teams in 6-7 don't normally get in these playoffs anyway, this is an unusual situation. I think SD's idea is sound. Have 4th v 5th in each division at 4th's home ground, then the winners of the NPL North match play the winners of the NPL South match (same in Southern and Isthmian). It would be fairly easy to find a neutral ground for these that wouldn't involve much traveling but even if not, the distance would be the same as the typical distances in the division they are being promoted to anyway.

Comment

I assume the boundaries won't be hard and fast to create the new divisions and I guess we will have a situation where teams around the King's Lynn - Peterborough area (ie around where yellow, green and grey all meet in the third map) could go in any of the three regional leagues.

Comment

Peterborough Sports have been saying for months that they're expecting this to be their only season in the NPL. For their sake I hope that it is - the league is going over to West / East divisions at step 4 and Sports would potentially be in the same division as Morpeth Town. That's a round trip of some 420 miles!

Comment

Nah, they're a set of wankers; they deserve shit.

Comment

To create this division, there will be a shitload of promotions (21) from the six second-tier regional divisions and only three relegations. Hence the top two of the Southern West, Southern East, NPL North, NPL South, Isthmian North and Isthmian South are all going up (12 teams). Then three of the third placed teams will go up (3 teams) and all of the divisions will have a playoff for another team to go up (6 teams). So that's how we get to four regional top-level divisions.
                                            There's only 19 promotions, rather than 21 (only one third placed side, rather than three).
                                            Three teams are relegated from Step 3 to Step 4 (making 16 additional Step 3 sides).
                                            I assume a couple of teams will be moved from the Southern and Isthmian premier leagues to the new division bringing the total up to 20 and bringing the rest down to 22.

Comment

I assume the boundaries won't be hard and fast to create the new divisions and I guess we will have a situation where teams around the King's Lynn - Peterborough area (ie around where yellow, green and grey all meet in the third map) could go in any of the three regional leagues.
                                              Most of the teams in North Herts/South Beds could find themselves in he yellow, green or pink bit. As of now Hitchin, Dunstable, Biggleswade, Royston; possibly Bishops Stortford, St Ives and St Neots — all currently in the Southern Premier League — have no idea where they'll be playing next season.

Comment

Goole relegated from Northern Premier League Division One North tonight. Well I say relegated but last year they had an AGM Cup win thanks to Ilkeston's demise and they might get something similar this time if the Ossett merger happens.

Comment

Hackney Wick relegated from the Essex Senior League after one season following their merger/absorption of London Bari. I wonder if that will affect their plans to move to move to the ground within the warm up track for the Olympic Stadium?

Edit : apparently not, they say they’ll still be moving there even after the drop.
                                                  Last edited by Ray de Galles; 20-04-2018, 09:24.

Comment

Stade de Reims assured themselves of promotion to Ligue 1 with an a win over AC Ajaccio
                                                    Last edited by ursus arctos; 20-04-2018, 20:16.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X