No announcement yet.

Ups & Downs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swansea losing to Man City gives hope to Stoke and Southampton and gives West Brom a stay of execution.

Comment

Although I've just seen Swansea's last two games. Southampton followed by Stoke, both at home.

Comment

Originally posted by N est à? View Post
        And while it's not an official Up or Down, the aforementioned Gosport Borough, after gaining 11 points all season, yesterday beat mid table Frome Town 7(Seven)-0, a result causing much raising of eyebrows, pursing of lips and muttering of insinuations I'm sure. Gosport have now overtaken relegation rivals Dunstable on goals scored (!), after the latter ground out a rare point against third bottom St Ives Town. The two play each other this thursday evening in what has to be considered the hottest ticket in Dunstable that thursday evening.
        Gosport's 7–0 win is about to become a trivia question as they lost their previous match 0–7 at Kettering. I suppose such a reversal might have happened before but I've no idea when.

Frome have had big losses (and a few big wins) all season. They were only able to field ten players yesterday, and have had problems keeping personnel (managers, coaches and players) since their last full-time manager was banned for three years for betting against his own teams in 2016. It's actually amazing they've managed to stay up at all.

Comment

The title decider in Scottish league 1 will go to the last game after Ayr got beat by Alloa today. Next Saturday Raith play bloody Alloa at home and Ayr host Albion Rovers. Raith one point ahead. In their hands. Haven’t beaten Alloa all season. Pure shiteing it now.

Comment

Alavés' 4-0 win at Las Palmas means that the Canary Islands club are down and that Alavés are saved.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
              Although I've just seen Swansea's last two games. Southampton followed by Stoke, both at home.
              Chelsea and Bournemouth before those two six pointers. We might just survive but we'll need six players in the summer, minimum.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                Chelsea and Bournemouth before those two six pointers. We might just survive but we'll need six players in the summer, minimum.
                Since half the league seem to be keeping tabs on Alfie Mawson I'd make that seven

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                  Stade de Reims assured themselves of promotion to Ligue 1 with an a win over AC Ajaccio
                  Yay!

Comment

Has there been some clarification on the 'best third place at step 4' situation? Because Scarborough Athletic are certainly celebrating winning promotion, even though they could still finish third.

Comment

Has there been some clarification on the 'best third place at step 4' situation? Because Scarborough Athletic are certainly celebrating winning promotion, even though they could still finish third.
                      The Wikipedia page for the NPL, at least, suggests the top three will all be promoted due to points per game:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017–1...Premier_League

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                        The title decider in Scottish league 1 will go to the last game after Ayr got beat by Alloa today. Next Saturday Raith play bloody Alloa at home and Ayr host Albion Rovers. Raith one point ahead. In their hands. Haven’t beaten Alloa all season. Pure shiteing it now.
                        Raith beat us 2-1 back in December, the first game at Starks Park. It's just the two games at the Recs that have been draws.

We do seem to be making a habit of tripping up Ayr when they're going for the league with Raith. Excellent game yesterday evening - 3 goals, two more disallowed, and the ball being blazed over the bar from a penalty (which was a tremendously soft award). Excellent viewing for anyone lucky enough to catch it on BBC Alba.

Comment

Wow, Dink and JtS both back on the same day...

Comment

Yeah, the next best placed third placed team by ppg - Hartley Wintney - can only get 88 points compared to Hyde's 89.

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/step-4-promotion

Comment

What I suspect is going on is that people can see the rules and are doing their sums, but the FA are waiting until the end of the season before officially confirming anything to anyone. Which is actually reasonable given the possibility, however slight, for points deduction or the AGM Cup changing things. You really don't want to have to say to someone "You know that email we sent congratulating you on your promotion, well please disregard that - we jumped the gun a little. You have a play-off on Tuesday. Good luck!". Highly likely they don't tell clubs who have mathematically assured a top two place that they are promoted either, for the same reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                Wow, Dink and JtS both back on the same day...
                                It's my annual post - I'll go back to lurking now.

My football watching has been curtailed this season (second child, following a pregnancy from hell for my wife) and that has fed through into my posting habits. Luckily I was able to watch snatches of yesterday's game on my phone, while chasing around after child 1. Hopefully I'll catch a couple of our play-off games and then get back to attending regularly next season.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                  Gosport's 7–0 win is about to become a trivia question as they lost their previous match 0–7 at Kettering. I suppose such a reversal might have happened before but I've no idea when.
                                  If we're allowing 'all football', then, off the top of the ol' noodle, W Germany followed a 3-8 defeat to Hungary with a 7-2 victory over Turkey just three days later at the 1954 World Cup.

But I'm sure that can and will be bettered.

Comment

I’m sure there is an entire slate of such reversals. Boxing Day to New Years Day some time in the 1950s.

Comment

Perhaps following this round of matches:

Comment

Yup. That's the one. I remember reading a Shoot! article about it many, many years ago.

Comment

Chesterfield down, franchise virtually down,Cardiff open the door for Fulham with defeat to Derby

Comment

Blackburn Rovers promoted.

Comment

Blackburn have just been promoted. Looks like Oldham and Rochdale will scrap over the last relegation spot, after neither side won tonight.

Comment

I don't think I've seen this situation before, Franchise are in the perverse situation of being 23rd yet needing the team in 22nd to win both their remaining games and make themselves uncatchable!

Northampton's matches are against Oldham and Walsall, two Cobblers wins would see three teams still catchable by Franchise. Every other permutation from those two games sees 20th become out of reach for them.

A required swing of 17 ought to mean all the above is irrelevant though.

Comment

Also, MK are shite

Comment

Accrington must have some unfortunate personal hygiene issues. They finally move to a better postcode, only to find a bunch of neighbours moving out.

Cursory search says they've never played Blackburn in anything. Can that be right?

Edit: too cursory. Not since 1893, apparently.
                                                    Last edited by tee rex; 25-04-2018, 06:52.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X