Playoffs 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canvey Island Club Statement

In response to an article posted online by the Echo earlier today, we would like to take the chance to clarify the situation.

The article announces the signings of striker Sam Higgins and midfielder James White which is indeed the case.
    Sam and James signed for the club on dual-registrations from National League South side East Thurrock United in March, before the registration deadline at the end of the month. While the article may have read to some that they had been signed in the last couple of days, this is not the case and would not have been possible.
    The practice of dual-registering non-contracted players from other teams in other leagues to bolster a squad ahead of the end of the season is far from a new idea, and we are somewhat surprised that so many people seem not to have heard of this before today.
    As an example, this article from 2012 discusses Sam Higgins along with former-Canvey striker Tony Stokes signing for Dartford on an identical basis ahead of their playoff campaign.
    As far as we are aware, at least two of the other three teams in the playoffs have either attempted to sign or have signed players in an identical arrangement.
    Whether either player features in the match will be at the discretion of the manager on the night.

Comment

The examples they cite involve lower league players signing for higher placed clubs rather than the top scorer from two divisions above joining for two matches.

Like most Sunday leagues have rules against this.

Comment

I’ve never understood the justification for dual registration, as opposed to just loans, in non-league anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
          I’ve never understood the justification for dual registration, as opposed to just loans, in non-league anyway.
          Dual regs, at the bottom end of the pyramid, do provide opportunities for fringe players to get game-time further down the pyramid without having to register them separately every time they switch teams.

Comment

There's an additional twist with the Step 4 playoffs this season.

The FA rules for this season state that any step 3 vacancies will be filled by the losing Step 4 playoff finalist with the highest points per game (rather than the usual process of offering reprieves). Since Thurrock are folding, there is just such a vacancy.

If Frickley beat Stamford tonight, they will be sure of promotion unless Hayes and Yeading win their semi-final and lose the final
            If Hayes and Yeading beat Cambridge on Wednesday, they will be guaranteed promotion.
            If Hartley Wintney beat Dunstable, they will be guaranteed promotion unless Frickley win their semi-final and lose the final

Below that, everyone is reliant on at least one of Hartley Wintney and Hayes losing their semi-finals. Anyone with a lower ppg than Walton Casuals (who finished sixth in the Bostik South) cannot be promoted as a lucky loser. That includes all sides from the Northern Premier League except Frickley and all Southern League West sides.

Comment

BLT, that is some sterling permutation crunching. Cheers.

Comment

Northern Premier League results tonight

Premier Division
                Ashton United 2-1 Farsley Celtic
                Warrington Town 0-3 Grantham Town

Division One North
                Bamber Bridge 2-1 Tadcaster Albion
                Prescot Cables 3-0 Trafford

Division One South
                Frickley Athletic 1-2 Stamford
                Bedworth United 2-1 Chasetown

So no promotion for Frickley then...

Comment

Step 4 Playoff Results

Northern Premier League Division 1 North
                  Bamber Bridge 2 - 1 Tadcaster Albion
                  Prescot Cables 3 - 0 Trafford

Northern Premier League Division 1 South
                  Frickley Athletic 1 - 2 Stamford
                  Bedworth United 2 - 1 Chasetown

Isthmian League Division 1 South
                  Cray Wanderers 2 - 5 Walton Casuals
                  Greenwich Borough 0 - 3 Corinthian Casuals

This means that the "lucky loser" points-per-game table looks like

Hayes & Yeading S1E 1.976
                  Frickley Athletic N1S 1.952
                  Hartley Wintney S1E 1.952
                  Cray Wanderers I1S 1.935
                  Bowers & Pitsea I1N 1.935
                  Haringey Boro I1N 1.935
                  Greenwich Boro I1S 1.891
                  Heybridge Swifts I1N 1.891
                  Corinthian Casuals I1S 1.891
                  AFC Dunstable S1E 1.881
                  Walton Casuals I1S 1.870
                  Wimborne Town S1W 1.833
                  Cambridge City S1E 1.833
                  Evesham United S1W 1.810
                  Swindon Super S1W 1.762
                  Bamber Bridge N1N 1.762
                  Bedworth Utd N1S 1.762
                  Canvey Island I1N 1.739
                  Didcot Town S1W 1.738

Chasetown N1S 1.738
                  Prescot Cables N1N 1.714
                  Stamford N1S 1.690

Trafford N1N 1.571
                  Tadcaster Albion N1N 1.476

That means that Hartley Wintney and Hayes and Yeading will both be sure of promotion if they win tomorrow. If they both lose, the winner of Heybridge and Haringey will be sure of promotion, as will Bowers and Pitsea, should they beat Canvey.
                  Last edited by Bizarre Löw Triangle; 01-05-2018, 21:06.

Comment

I told myself not to be so pessimistic. I tried to believe we would manage the one win required to go up as PPG Supercup winners. But we lost 1-0 at home against Cambridge City. Fucksticks.

Hartley Wintney beat AFC Dunstable in the other semi.

Comment

Just got back from watching Haringey beat Heybridge 2-0. On sunday they're at home to Canvey Island's ringers.

Does that mean that Hartley Wintney are definitely promoted, but could still fuck it up for Cambridge City? And if so, does the PPG Supercup move down to Haringey, if they lose to the ringers?

Comment

Saw the Conference South Play-Off “Eliminator” (effectively a quarter final really) between Hampton & Richmond Borough and Truro City tonight. The Beavers prevailed 3-1 in extra time after finally bringing on a forward worthy of the description, Bradley Hudson-Odoi, late on in the regulation 90 minutes and he bagged a brace in the additional half hour. They only took the tie that far as Truro had a penalty saved late in the second half.

Until then it had been fairly even with Truro taking the lead early with a goal from a long throw which seemed to be their signature move. They were far bigger and more cynical than the home side who equalised with a lovely snap volley from a centre half and generally played the neater football but lacked a finisher.

Hampton play Chelmsford in the semi-final at the weekend while Truro make the long way back south-west for the second time in five days as the two teams also met in Saturday’s final league game.

Comment

Last night's step 1 & 2 goings on...

National League
                          Aldershot 1 Ebbsfleet 1 (Ebbsfleet 5-4 on pens)

National League North
                          Stockport 0 Chorley 1
                          Kidderminster 0 Bradford PA 2

National League South
                          Hemel Hempstead 0 Braintree 0 (Braintree 3-2 on pens)
                          Hampton & Richmond 3 Truro 1

Did not pick those northern section results at all I must admit.

Comment

Originally posted by N est à? View Post
                            Just got back from watching Haringey beat Heybridge 2-0. On sunday they're at home to Canvey Island's ringers.

Does that mean that Hartley Wintney are definitely promoted, but could still fuck it up for Cambridge City? And if so, does the PPG Supercup move down to Haringey, if they lose to the ringers?
                            Yeah, that's right. If Haringey and Hartley Wintney both win, the PPG Supercup goes to whoever loses out of CoCas and WalCas. Helpfully, the Isthmian South game kicks off on Saturday, Isthmian North on Sunday and Southern East on Monday, so only Hartley Wintney know their fate prior to kick-off.

Hayes & Yeading S1E 1.976
                            Frickley Athletic N1S 1.952
                            Hartley Wintney S1E 1.952
                            Cray Wanderers I1S 1.935
                            Bowers & Pitsea I1N 1.935
                            Haringey Boro I1N 1.935
                            Greenwich Boro I1S 1.891
                            Heybridge Swifts I1N 1.891
                            Corinthian Casuals I1S 1.891
                            AFC Dunstable S1E 1.881
                            Walton Casuals I1S 1.870
                            Wimborne Town S1W 1.833
                            Cambridge City S1E 1.833
                            Evesham United S1W 1.810
                            Swindon Super S1W 1.762
                            Bamber Bridge N1N 1.762
                            Bedworth Utd N1S 1.762
                            Canvey Island I1N 1.739
                            Didcot Town S1W 1.738

Chasetown N1S 1.738
                            Prescot Cables N1N 1.714
                            Stamford N1S 1.690

Trafford N1N 1.571
                            Tadcaster Albion N1N 1.476
                            Last edited by Bizarre Löw Triangle; 03-05-2018, 06:51.

Comment

Sorry to the Dulwich Hamlet massive but Anglian solidarity means I'm hoping Leiston go up.

Comment

Originally posted by Bizarre Löw Triangle View Post
                                Yeah, that's right. If Haringey and Hartley Wintney both win, the PPG Supercup goes to whoever loses out of CoCas and WalCas. Helpfully, the Isthmian South game kicks off on Saturday, Isthmian North on Sunday and Southern East on Monday, so only Hartley Wintney know their fate prior to kick-off.
                                The Isthmian South ‘El Casualco’ Derby Final is indeed a 3pm Saturday kick-off.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                  Saw the Conference South Play-Off “Eliminator” (effectively a quarter final really) between Hampton & Richmond Borough and Truro City tonight.
                                  It took me more readings of that than I'd like to admit before I worked out that there were only two teams playing.

Comment

Originally posted by Jobi1 View Post
                                    Last night's step 1 & 2 goings on...

National League
                                    Aldershot 1 Ebbsfleet 1 (Ebbsfleet 5-4 on pens)

National League North
                                    Stockport 0 Chorley 1
                                    Kidderminster 0 Bradford PA 2

National League South
                                    Hemel Hempstead 0 Braintree 0 (Braintree 3-2 on pens)
                                    Hampton & Richmond 3 Truro 1

Did not pick those northern section results at all I must admit.
                                    Disappointed in the outcome of all but the Bradford result.

I was quietly watching the Aldershot game on the TV in the hotel bar (sound muted) when a band of scousers rocked up and cajoled the barman into switching to the Liverpool game, which did not kick off for a further 30 minutes. Cue half an hour of silent punditry.

Their beer was shit, anyhow.

Comment

Originally posted by HORN View Post
                                      Disappointed in the outcome of all but the Bradford result.

I was quietly watching the Aldershot game on the TV in the hotel bar (sound muted) when a band of scousers rocked up and cajoled the barman into switching to the Liverpool game, which did not kick off for a further 30 minutes. Cue half an hour of silent punditry.
                                      I hate it when that happens. Never a thought that someone might actually be watching what's already on.
                                      Last edited by Capybara; 03-05-2018, 09:32.

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
                                        It took me more readings of that than I'd like to admit before I worked out that there were only two teams playing.
                                        I know what you mean, I’m always fastidious about employing the ampersand in such cases as it’s so often required to make any sense of non-league football fixtures.

I do wish The Beavers would drop this “...& Richmond Borough” affectation anyway. It’s been twenty years since they switched from plain Hampton FC and I’m yet to be convinced they have picked up a single supporter from the wider borough that they seem to have no real link with and is solidly rugby anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post
                                          I hate it when that happens. Never a thought that someone might actually be watching what's already on.
                                          A lot of people who "like football" don't seem to really...like football.

Comment

Southern League playoff semi finals

West
                                            Evesham United 1 - 1 Swindon Supermarine
                                            Swindon Supermarine win 4 - 5 on penalties.
                                            Wimborne Town 2 - 0 Didcot Town

East
                                            Hartley Wintney 2 - 0 AFC Dunstable
                                            Hayes & Yeading United 0 - 1 Cambridge City

Premier
                                            King's Lynn Town 3 - 0 Weymouth
                                            Slough Town 3 - 1 Kettering Town

King's Lynn's goals were all rather good.

https://twitter.com/Speedball74/status/991983849814024193
                                            https://twitter.com/Speedball74/stat...83849814024193
                                            Last edited by Kevin S; 03-05-2018, 10:49.

Comment

Why has Boreham Wood v Fylde kicked off at 7pm?

Comment

Hendon 4-0 up at home to Folkestone Invicta in the Isthmian Premier semi and it’s not even half time yet.

Comment

H/T Dulwich 0-0 Leiston

Comment

Aldershot v Ebsfleet started at 7pm last night. Useful for watching the first half before the big Euro games.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X