Playoffs 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Playoffs 2018

Down to the last few matches of the season so I guess it's not long until the NPL, Southern and Isthmian playoffs begin.

The Southern Premier looks oddly fixed already. Top of the table Hereford have a six point lead over Kings Lynn and a game in hand; the Linnets only have four matches remaining. Kettering have the same gap from their fifth and final playoff place to Royston below them.

Glenn Tamplin's bankrolling of Billericay has just about bought the Isthmian, as they have a five point lead but there's still a decent contest to get into the playoffs - hopefully Leiston can squeeze in before the end of the season.

And in the National League, a new system for this year's playoffs:
    http://nonleague.pitchero.com/news/t...league-format/

A shame they didn't opt for the six-team format used in RL Super League from 2002-08, which was a beauty, though took four rounds rather than three.
    Last edited by Kevin S; 11-04-2018, 08:22.

Comment

Up in the lofty heights of League One, the top three of Wigan, Blackburn and Shrewsbury have all secured playoff places with a big gap over the rest of the division. Whichever one doesn't make it straight up - and given their five-point deficit it looks like Shrewsbury - will be desperate not to fuck it all up in the playoffs.

The Championship's top three - Wolves, Fulham and "Cardiff" - have likewise got enough points to guarantee a playoff place at least. Wolves are nailed-on to go up automatically though, and right-minded folk will be hoping that Fulham can make sure Colin's team end up in the battle royale. Last night Millwall - now 16 unbeaten - leapfrogged a stuttering Middlesbrough into sixth place. Beware the late-surgers.
      Last edited by Kevin S; 11-04-2018, 08:43.

Comment

Millwalls run in is very tough though - I think they play the four teams around them.

*checks*

Boro, Fulham, Sheff Utd, Villa.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
          Up in the lofty heights of League One, the top three of Wigan, Blackburn and Shrewsbury have all secured playoff places with a big gap over the rest of the division. Whichever one doesn't make it straight up - and given their five-point deficit it looks like Shrewsbury - will be desperate not to fuck it all up in the playoffs.

The Championship's top three - Wolves, Fulham and "Cardiff" - have likewise got enough points to guarantee a playoff place at least. Wolves are nailed-on to go up automatically though, and right-minded folk will be hoping that Fulham can make sure Colin's team end up in the battle royale. Last night Millwall - now 16 unbeaten - leapfrogged a stuttering Middlesbrough into sixth place. Beware the late-surgers.
          Anyone in particular you're thinking of?

Despite winning at Forest, I think the probability of us gatecrashing the play-offs has actually reduced as all our rivals except Boro won.

A win at Fulham on Saturday and I might change my mind.

Comment

And in the National League, a new system for this year's playoffs:
            http://nonleague.pitchero.com/news/t...league-format/
            Maybe York's catastrophic run of form (1 win in the last 5 games) is an attempt to avoid the confusion of this new system and just try again next year. Things are now out of City's hands as we can now be caught for the last spot by both Chorley and Blyth with the games they have in hand. To be honest finishing 8th or 9th would be a fittingly appalling end to what has been yet another absolute embarrassment of a season. And believe me this isn't arrogance, just simple, practical reality that with the resources and budget we have compared to the rest of the division we should be firmly ensconced in the top 3. That we aren't is the most damning indictment of the way the club has been run these last few years.

Comment

Originally posted by cantagalo View Post
              Anyone in particular you're thinking of?

Despite winning at Forest, I think the probability of us gatecrashing the play-offs has actually reduced as all our rivals except Boro won.

A win at Fulham on Saturday and I might change my mind.
              Well Brentford could get to 76, but I suppose Derby's two games in hand are fairly crucial at this stage. Whichever of the top three miss out on promotion have already got one spot, and Villa have as good as got the second. So everyone's fighting for 5th and 6th. Derby go to Wolves tonight with one of their games in hand, and the other is in just under a fortnight against Cardiff. I guess if they get a win tonight they are in the box seat. But they've also got to play Villa and Boro, and they could be getting ready to go peak-Derby-levels of fluffing it.

All these head-to-head games throw up some interesting possibilities for sure. Yes, Millwall have a tough run-in, but then Boro have got them plus Derby and Bristol City. Bristol City have got Boro and Sheff Utd. And as well as Boro, Sheff Utd have got to play Preston. I suppose in a way Preston have got the softest run-in on paper, but they're not the form team having lost three of the last four.

Comment

Yes, I have a slim hope we might be able to sneak through on the outside while the big boys are beating each other up.

This season we've been playing some great football without necessarily getting our just desserts. But watch out - three 1-0 wins in a row without playing particularly well in two of those games. Brentford are used to playing like Wenger's Arsenal. We're turning into Arsenal under George Graham.

Comment

Villa's win tonight assures them of a playoff place (or better).

Comment

The playoffs for promotion/relegation to the Scottish league are settled, Highland league champs Cove Rangers will play Lowland league winners Spartans, the winner to play league two wooden spooners Cowdenbeath.

Comment

Do either of them have a chance of turning over the Blue Brazil?

Comment

The dream of Heybridge at home in the playoff semis followed by Potters Bar away is on for Haringey Borough.

Boro have played Heybridge three times so far this season - at home in the FA Cup 4th Qualifying Round (where we lost 4 - 2); away, where the match was abandoned following a punch up between Ralston Gabriel and Joan Luque; and most recently at home where Boro threw away a three goal lead in eight second half minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                          Do either of them have a chance of turning over the Blue Brazil?
                          If Cowdenbeath go down they will close. At least that’s what batshit bigot owner Donald Findlay told the players before last year’s play-off.

Comment

Hendon have secured an Isthmian Premier playoff place with last night's win over Leatherhead. Leiston have basically joined them too with Leatherhead's defeat:

Leiston, in fifth place, have three more points than sixth place Margate and the Tanners in seventh, but a goal difference six better than Gate and thirteen better than Leatherhead. On that basis it would seem that the playoff semi-finals will see Dulwich Hamlet host Leiston, whilst Folkestone Invicta face Hendon- although the result of Saturday’s matches will determine which of those two has home advantage.
                            (Isthmian League website)

Comment

Cambridge City could only manage a 0-0 draw with Chalfont St Peter yesterday, which means that they no longer have any chance of grabbing fourth place in the Evo Stik South East from H&Y on Saturday, regardless of our result. If we beat Barton Rovers and Hartley Wintney lose their final match, we could finish third. Fourth is more likely, but either way, that guarantees a home semi-final next week against Cambridge or Dunstable. And we only need two more goals to break the 100 barrier, something that I cannot ever remember Hayes or H&Y having achieved since I've been watching them.

I will be back in England from May 5th, which means I would be around if we manage to reach the play-off final. Hope that doesn't jinx us on Wednesday!

Comment

Wait, Leatherhead are nicknamed the Tanners? As a man who has Day Today quotes in lieu of a personality, how the hell did I not know this.

(From 02:15)

Comment

What Nesta said

Comment

Rotherham and Shrewsbury are both certain to be in the League One playoffs now; and in fact Shrewsbury are certain to be third, so playing the team who finish sixth.

Comment

Shrewsbury's campaign has had Orient 2013-14 stamped through it from the off, so it's a heartbreaking penalty shootout loss for you guys. Soz about that.

Comment

Southern Premier is now set, though the teams will play for positions and home advantage in the final league matches. The four are Kings Lynn, Slough, Kettering and Weymouth.

Edit - for anyone who read those four town names and had the same thought as me, the answer is:

Kings Lynn: 34-66
                                        Weymouth: 39-61
                                        Kettering: 39-61
                                        Slough: 46-54
                                        Last edited by Kevin S; 26-04-2018, 09:58.

Comment

Originally posted by N est à? View Post
                                          Wait, Leatherhead are nicknamed the Tanners?
                                          It's based on a misassumption too, apparently ;

It is tempting to think that the name Leatherhead was to do with leather working, but this does not seem to be the case. One of the earliest references to Leatherhead is in the will of King Alfred the Great in c880 in which land at ‘Leodridan’ was bequeathed to his son, Edward. The meaning of the name has been the subject of debate, but the most likely is that is a British name meaning ‘grey ford.’ [1] (Welsh Llwyd-rhyd)

Comment

Edit - for anyone who read those four town names and had the same thought as me, the answer is:

Kings Lynn: 34-66
                                            Weymouth: 39-61
                                            Kettering: 39-61
                                            Slough: 46-54
                                            Given the first two towns, I thought it was speedway scores until I realised they didn't add up to 90.

What was the question?

Comment

It's a very stretched league this year, the southern, with Gosport and Dunstable yet to reach 20 points, and fifth place well over 90. I wonder if there only being a single relegation slot might have encouraged a lot of the less ambitious clubs to trim their costs a bit this year.

Comment

Each town's vote for Brexit

Comment

That said about cutting costs, you'd expect to see a similar effect in the other step 3 divisions, and you don't really, so <shrug>

Comment

Working...
                                                  X