The worst kept Secret...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The worst kept Secret...

The Secret Footballer wants to reveal himself but fears legal action.

Problem with that is I think that we all know who he is by now, he's given away far too many clues.

Even the website dedicated to unmasking him has long since stopped being, because they were absolutely certain they had their man and there was no mystery anymore. No-one is desperate to out Dave Kitson, because he outed five years ago. We don't really need him to publicly say "It's me" to know it for sure.
    In fact there has been very little from The Not-So Secret Footballer since he was caught in 2013 not successfully compartmentalising details from his real life from those he had talked about under his pseudonym (which was always going to happen sooner or later). He must be short of cash to be reviving this dead horse.

Comment

Was he the first one to popularise this schtick?

Some of the copycats are worthwhile. I quite enjoy the Secret Barrister, for one.

Comment

Secret Squirrel was OK

Comment

The Guardian's secret teacher is good too; it's not one person but different teachers writing anonymously about what's going on in their jobs.
          https://www.theguardian.com/profile/the-secret-teacher

The parody of it is also pretty funny: http://twitter.com/sekretteecher

Comment

Given how identifiable he is, is there actually any legal reprecussions to him coming out as the author? Presumably if you had been damagingly libeled you would have pursued litigation regardless. The Guardian and the book publishers would have had their legal people review ahead of publication.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
              Was he the first one to popularise this schtick?

Some of the copycats are worthwhile. I quite enjoy the Secret Barrister, for one.
              As a blog (first appeared in the Guardian in Jan. 2011), no; as a book, possibly.

I reviewed it in 2013: Le Secret Footballer nous prend-il pour des cons ?

AFAIK, I was the only one in the Francophonie to review it negatively, for its banality, mainly - although it has some redeeming features, which I acknowledged. But then again, I may well have been the only one of the lot to read it, that’s the impression I got anyway reading the various French reviews in print or on the Net, it was also talked about on L'Équipe TV, on the radio etc. football programmes on the main channels, namely RTL, RMC, Europe1. (The very cosy relationships some magazines/radios have with publishers, and with each other, can't have helped either, especially when those media employ journalists who have books published by the publishing house who released it in France.)

FourFourTwo tried to outsecret the Guardian too, with "The (Secret) Player", "The secret chief executive", "The secret physio" and "The secret referee".

Je remarque que deux semaines avant, le magazine Four Four Two a lancé une série identique, toujours en cours, intitulée « [Secret columnist] The Player » (série d’ailleurs éphémèrement déclinée en rubriques top secret : The secret chief executive, The secret physio (kiné), The secret manager et The secret referee - à quand The Secret Magazine, vendu dans des kiosques clandestins ou placardé façon dazibao ?).
              Last edited by Pérou Flaquettes; 10-04-2018, 10:20.

Comment

The Daily Mirror has gone with it today.

Comment

I read a few Secret Seven books as a kid. Never got into any other enid blyton though.

Comment

Originally posted by N est à? View Post
                    I read a few Secret Seven books as a kid. Never got into any other enid blyton though.
                    I read Noddy as a (younger) kid - one of the series in which I learned to read.

Comment

Originally posted by N est à? View Post
                      I read the respective entire sagas of the Wishing Chair and the Faraway Tree to my daughter when she was pre school age. I believe one of these is being turned into a movie sometime soon and she, now 15, is insisting we go when it comes out.

Comment

Working...
                      X