No announcement yet.

Why are Liverpool fans so weird?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got a vague recollection of him writing for a British paper (The Times?) but nothing of his style has stuck with me and those two articles posted here are so meandering and rhythmless as to be unreadable after a while. Clearly he's a Liverpool supporter which seems to be the reason they've been shared.

Comment

The Times and the Independent.

You don't have to like him (though I think you would), but do consider that he's now writing for a very non-football savvy audience.

I'm not trying to evangelise, but I think his pieces on Gundogan's recovery and dodgy characters in Belgian football are two of the better football articles I've read this season.

Comment

I'll give them a read.

Comment

https://twitter.com/PeterMooreLFC/st...515079168?s=19

Admirably cynical marketing that the oddballs will lap up.

Comment

In bits welling up at that. Lovely of EIM to have managed to happen across that, he can't spend much of every day wistfully going through Liverpool webcasts, or their officials' twitter accounts.
            Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 17-04-2018, 18:48.

Comment

Fucking hell, from a CEO. At least Celtic fans don’t believe Lalwell is a fan in a board position. Sure, create desolation around the stadium and buy gaffs from remaining residents for pennies, it’s all about the community but.

Comment

Community. History. Belief. Pride. Passion. It’s all such bollocks. A medium sized business maximizing its turnover by gouging and exploiting sentiment is all the club is.

Comment

"They have a local community, we have the managed decline of the roads around Anfield to allow us to extend the main stand."

Comment

"This means more" was the bit that got me.

Comment

https://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2018/...remember-life/

They invented travel, you know. Travel and singing.

I actually love the Anfield Wrap. Incredible stuff:

"I’ve never lost a game of football and felt like I’d won, but for some reason, here we were, the day after losing the European Cup final, still going as mental as the day before. It transpired to me that we hadn’t really lost that final — we just didn’t win it. What we did win was the hearts of a city and a country that will no doubt now adopt Liverpool as their second, or maybe even their first team to support."

Comment

UEFA and the rest of the big wigs played their usual game
                        Yeah, those fuckin... big wigs. In their Big Wigs.

Comment

As Jürgen Klopp’s men rampaged their way past a host of the world’s best — putting the ball in the net more times than we could count
                          It is sad indictment of the education system that this may be true.

Comment

One almost has to admire the certainty of the “no doubt” in the bit EIM quotes and are forced to wonder if “the Brightons of this world” isn’t an even more wanky term than “the likes of...”.

In amongst all the many flights of fancy, I’m not sure the story about the chap with gangrene and diabetes taking “six flights, 10 trains, and a 23-hour bus journey” is entirely true (especially the bit about him doing it with “an Adidas trainee” on one foot) but if it is I wouldn’t want him booking my summer jaunt.
                            Last edited by Ray de Galles; 03-06-2018, 13:18.

Comment

There is no equivalent to Liverpool fans in Italy. None I can think of at all.
                              Roma are not like that, for sure. "Of course we will win the league this year because we are Roma and who else would win it?" You'll never hear it from them and yes you could argue that Liverpool have more domestic titles than Roma does but who gives a sod right now and here about old issues of statistical books collecting dust?
                              Torino with their entire squad (which was in a sense the Italian national squad) dying in the Superga catastrophe, they never try to push forth any sort of entitlement the way Liverpool fans so often do with their own tragic moments. Quite frankly, it's disgusted me more than once when victims are used as some sort of reason for the fans to be especially respected.

I can't think of any other league in Europe where the fans of a club behave as all the dozens of Liverpool fans do, I've met. Arrogant, cocky, weird, and especially, sect-like. I can only speak for Sweden and how they are here. But there's an aura of David Koresh and Waco about them, even if you've been invited by one of them to their gathering as I have been.

Most of all, they (Sweden where there are tens of thousands of them organized) are mad schizo bastards. One moment they are god's gift to our solar system. Next when they've lost, they're like the kid who didn't get his toy in the vending machine crying over it and the entire solar system should suddenly evolve around their grief.

Comment

Disappointing lack of activity in this thread tbh.

Бога Нет, did you give Rory* a read? Come on, you must've enjoyed this one
                                https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/23/s...liverpool.html

*He did a 25-yard dipping volley at Old Trafford the other week. A proper"did you see THAT?" moment. Though probably just a hit and hope with Irwin and Fortune about to close him down.

Comment

weird Liverpool fans = Klopp-crazed youngsters

Comment

Comment

Remember when he slipped over though? The week after saying "do not let this slip"? Fucking hell, that was some great drama.

Comment

I haven't watched it yet. Every time I try, as soon as I hit play, I suffer an involuntary ejaculation and spend the next 45 minutes humming Susudio.

Comment

Originally posted by EIM View Post
                                          Remember when he slipped over though? The week after saying "do not let this slip"? Fucking hell, that was some great drama.
                                          It took me ages to fully appreciate the humour as it turned out I’d been on holiday when he did the “we do not let this slip” thing and I only saw it in some kind of review of the season.

Was it really only a week between the two matches?

Comment

Sadly not. I just checked and the slip teamtalk was after Manchester City. They played Norwich next, won, then he slipped the following game. Then they fucked it against Palace after that in one of my favourite non-MUFC games ever.

Comment

I guess my undying hatred for the half a midfielder fraud might get me in serious bother were I ever to turn up at Anfield. I wish to fuck he’d ignored the crims giving him grief and signed for fucking Chelsea in 2005. Frowning cunt is made for fucking Rangers.

Comment

He was the third best midfielder at Liverpool when true god like Masch and Alonso were there. At least when he was played wide right or behind Torres his lack of nous and discipline did less damage. Him and Alonso/Masch in a midfield two was watch through your hands awful bar the YouTube reel.
                                                Last edited by Lang Spoon; 26-11-2018, 23:51.

Comment

Henderson + ability to play it forward occasionally + the odd 30 yard screamer = Gerrard

Comment

Jordan Henderson has lovely tidy hair.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X